Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI would find a new school.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2639991&mesg_id=2680401
2680401, I would find a new school.
Posted by inpulse, Fri Nov-30-18 07:11 PM
There are so many BJJ schools now, no reason to stay at that one, IMO.

First, about me: I work in social science research on race and discrimination in medical care and the social safety net system. As I mentioned in this post, I'm headed back to school to work on a doctorate studying race/discrimination and the police. I am Black, I am a father, and I live in the South. I have long since given up discussing race with almost all White people and I don't try to educate/convert ignorant folks anymore. People who still don't understand the history of people of color in the US, and are vocal about that, get no time with me.

One thing that I've seen that is virtually universal at BJJ gyms: the personality and temperament of the instructor is what the gym's becomes. If you have a macho, asshole instructor, that's what the gym will be. A bunch of macho assholes running around doing macho asshole shit. Likewise, if you have a friendly, welcoming, helpful instructor - friendly, welcoming, helpful gym.

I would not let my kids hang around coaches who are vocal about those kinds of beliefs. BJJ is so culty, and I've seen so many students fall in line with the hive mind nonsense over and over. Kids are so impressionable. When I grew up playing sports, I thought all my coaches were awesome. When I think about them now, I realize they were almost all a bunch of misogynistic, racist, poorly educated assholes.

I wasn't able to separate "my coach, the athlete" from "my coach, the person" when I was younger. I just accepted them holistically. I wouldn't expect my kids to be able to do it either, so I could easily see them falling in line with the gym/instructor. and his or her beliefs.