Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: Been out since Monday with a shoulder but I shot some texts
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2639991&mesg_id=2671451
2671451, RE: Been out since Monday with a shoulder but I shot some texts
Posted by inpulse, Sat Aug-25-18 12:06 PM

>
>With the pressure passing, I still find myself more
>comfortable using some speed or athleticism to pass rather
>than heavy shoulders, hips, head positioning that is the bread
>and butter of pressure passing.

I started out a pressure passer, became a mobility passer, went back to pressure passing, and now do a hybrid version of both. The goal for me is be able to alternate btwn the two styles, so the opponent isn't able to predict what route you will take, especially if you mix passing to both sides, rather than just one. It can be overwhelming for the guard player.

Demian Maia showed a great
>detail to use shoulder pressure to get out of a pesky
>quarter-guard at his seminar though, so I've been using that.
>It's funny because it's the guys that have a glacier like,
>monstrous-grip, slow advance passing technique that are
>killing me in training recently.

That's the point - pressure passing drains the opponent, and also utilizes the least amount of energy for the passer, when properly done. By the time you pass, the opponent is exhausted, and you are still fresh and can proceed quickly to attacking the submission. This is one way to keep ahead of the opponent.

>
>I've been doing a wrestling class at the academy and it's
>improved my comfort with takedown techniques. Head
>positioning, shot / re-shot, levels of defense (head, hands,
>forearms, hips, and escapes / tricks).

Nice! I have a feeling you would give me a hard time.

>
>Something I noticed with some of our seasoned brown belts is
>that they focus less on sport and get back to the old school
>aspects. I rolled with one recently and he was showing
>multiple wrist locks during positional sparring where I was on
>the back (without finishing) and also slowly applied a knee on
>neck submission. Grade A in-the-streets stuff.
>

For me, and I also wonder how much this is true for others, but there is definitely a positive correlation btwn the old-school game and aging and accumulation of injuries. I've been doing this for a little over 8 years (ages 28-37 in November), with only 2 extended breaks that weren't even all that long. So all that mat time and the natural aging process has definitely molded my propensity towards old-school/old-man BJJ.

Also, I feel like I've seen so many BJJ trends come and go, but the basics/old-school game has always stayed the same, and for most folks (i.e. non-pros) that is probably the best and safest BJJ path that you can ever be on. One that you can do for the rest of your jiu-jitsu "life". Plus, it's fun, bc the old-school game is probably the most ruthless and imposing. : )