Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectAnother big upset this weekend: Natasha Jonas vs Viviane Obenauf
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2637073&mesg_id=2670025
2670025, Another big upset this weekend: Natasha Jonas vs Viviane Obenauf
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Aug-05-18 07:14 PM
The womens lightweight division is getting interesting. Katie Taylor is probably the most recognizable name (and best boxer) in the division, but there are also Chantelle Cameron (the KO artist) and Mikaela Mayer. Another prospect was coming along by the name of Natasha Jonas. She was beaten in the amateurs by Katie Taylor and had planned to fight her for the first time in the pros after her victory over Viviane Obenauf, who Taylor has beaten by UD and Cameron has KO'd. However, Viviane had other plans and KO'd Jonas in the 3rd round after knocking her down twice in the 2nd and once in the 3rd. Jonas' corner threw in the towel and the ref waved the bout off simultaneously. NOBODY was expecting this. It's shocking enough that she lost, but the way she lost was wildly unexpected. Obenauf is pretty much a gate keeper. All it'll take is a rematch with Cameron or Taylor for that belt to come up off her waist.

On another note, I had no faith in Jonas beating Katie Taylor, but her loss isn't as surprising to me as it is to most. It's a little ironic, because I was just telling a friend that I talk boxing with that I don't like Jonas' attitude toward the game, b/c she says "I'm just going to try to do my best" and live with the outcome. I think that's a losing attitude for a boxer to have. Fighting isn't something you "play" like other sports, and it's a one-on-one, so wins and losses are more in your control than other sports... so the objective should be to beat your opponent... to be the best, imo. Sure, she's free to view her career however she likes and to not take it very seriously, but I couldn't get behind a fighter with a "just do my best" attitude. Then lo and behold she gets knocked out the day after I say that.