Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectMidway point of 2018. Notable happenings and fights to look forward to
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2637073&mesg_id=2667062
2667062, Midway point of 2018. Notable happenings and fights to look forward to
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Tue Jul-03-18 08:06 PM
If I overlook anything, feel free to mention it. Everything except the schedule is off the top of my head.

WOMEN:

Cecilia Braekhus vs Kali Reis became the first female boxing match to air on HBO. HBO behind as hell lol, but congrats to Braekhus for that accomplishment, as it happened because of her. She's also the only woman to ever be undisputed champ in any weight class. Cyborg wants to fight Braekhus once her UFC contract is up. She has 2 more fights left on it.

Claressa Shields has only had 6 fights and has won 7 titles. Quickest fighter to ever do that, male or female.

Lightweight phenom Katie Taylor picked up a 2nd title this year.

Claressa Shields and Christina Hammer are talking unification. It's a strong possibility that it'll happen this year. That is must-see boxing.

MEN:

Terence Crawford enters his 3rd weight class (welterweight) after being undisputed champ in his last weight class and scores a 9th round stoppage of paper champ Jeff Horn.

Vasyl Lomachenko enters his 3rd weight class (lightweight) and scores a 10th round stoppage of Jorge Linares w/ a liver shot. He's won belts in 3 weight classes in the least of amount of fights of any fighter in the history of the sport.

Nine-time amateur national champion Joey Spencer made his pro debut at super welterweight with 3 early KO's. Two in the 1st round and one in the 2nd. He should be one to watch. Others on my up-and-coming watch-list are Devin Haney, Teofimo Lopez, Money Powell IV, and Daniel Dubois.

Wilder proved he can beat more than "bums" by knocking out Luis Ortiz, becoming the first to defeat Ortiz.

Jarrett Hurd vs Erislandy Lara was FOTY nominee with the decision going to Hurd.

Mikey Garcia moved up to 140 to grab a belt off of Sergey Lipinets then abandoned the belt right after winning it.

GGG ducked his IBF mandatory, Sergei Derevyanchenko, and lost the belt because of it.

Tyson Fury returned to the ring against a nobody with a lackluster performance. Fight was stopped after 4 rounds, I think. I don't care enough to check.

Anthony Joshua picks up another belt against Joseph Parker in another terribly refereed bout. In other Joshua news, the fight with Wilder isn't happening this year, because Team Joshua is full of shit, to say the VERY least.

FIGHTS with dates I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO:

*Regis Prograis vs Juan Jose Valesco 7/14 (Teofimo Lopez also fights on this card)

Manny Pacquiao vs Lucas Matthysse 7/15

Murat Gassiev vs Oleksandr Usyk 7/21

Jaime Munguia vs Liam Smith 7/21

*Mikey Garcia vs Robert Easter 7/28 (Andre Berto vs Devon Alexander on this card)

Joseph Parker vs Dillian Whyte 7/28 (Kell Brook vs Brandon Cook also on this card)

Sergey Kovalev vs Eleider Alvarez 8/4 (Dmitry Bivol fights on this card)

*Shawn Porter vs Danny Garcia 8/25

Fuck GGG vs Canelo

*=must watch for me