Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectNike unveils all "City Edition" Jerseys--some heat in here for sure
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2635318
2635318, Nike unveils all "City Edition" Jerseys--some heat in here for sure
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Dec-27-17 02:23 PM
https://solecollector.com/news/2017/12/nike-nba-city-edition-jerseys/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily%20all&utm_content=Daily%20all%20CID_3b4214ccae14da8358e7f387aea72d84&utm_source=Campaign%20Monitor%20newsletter&utm_term=Nike%20Unveils%20NBA%20City%20Edition%20Jerseys

Some of these I don't understand, especially the color palettes but there were fewer "ewwwwww" responses and more "whoa, those are fucking sick!" ones than I expected.

I love that they are heavy on graphics and other bold designs. To me this redeems the rather tepid job they did designing the standard home/road jerseys and most of the alts. A lot of these are bold. I hope they change these every year, make them one-year-only styles.
2635345, All in all, straight fire
Posted by LA2Philly, Wed Dec-27-17 03:25 PM
Nicely done. The Bucks and Magic jerseys had me audibly gasping
2635347, Never heard "Cream City" before
Posted by pretentious username, Wed Dec-27-17 03:29 PM
>Nicely done. The Bucks and Magic jerseys had me audibly
>gasping

but the Bucks jerseys are awesome and I'm a fan of most of these.
2635355, I hadn't either until I lived there
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Dec-27-17 05:20 PM
But it's definitely a Thing.
2635349, Bucks and Kings are phenomenal, to me
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Dec-27-17 04:11 PM
2635423, Those are my favorites, too. Dubs/Jazz are great but a little loud
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu Dec-28-17 10:57 AM
For creativity related to a theme, I give the award to Portland.
2635352, The full Lakers jersey is ill AF
Posted by justin_scott, Wed Dec-27-17 04:26 PM
Knicks, Sac, Utah, and GS were all dope too. Only Phx and maybe one other were bad i thought. That Mil jersey gonna look like a vest when people wear a white t under it.
2635356, A few duds, but mostly pretty damn good
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Dec-27-17 05:22 PM
Those Heat and Clipper unis are amazing.

Did Nike just have a shit ton of grey fabric sitting around, though? That's a lot of teams whose fanbase was apparently clamoring for grey that I never realized.
2635359, favs are lakers, chicago and philly. spurs is all time bad lol
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Dec-27-17 06:27 PM
2635362, i agree it's terrible but that camo will sell.
Posted by rob, Wed Dec-27-17 06:56 PM
miami is the clear winner. i like utah a lot too.
2635430, Yeah the Chicago is low key clean AF. City colors. 70s White Sox-ish
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu Dec-28-17 11:16 AM
2635361, This Heat jersey is the best jersey in the NBA
Posted by Oak27, Wed Dec-27-17 06:45 PM
https://i.imgur.com/tTQvc4q.jpg
2635366, Somebody said they gotta play barefoot in those LOL
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Dec-27-17 08:36 PM
2635372, or without socks.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Dec-27-17 09:28 PM
2635367, They would need to change their name to the Miami Vice
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Dec-27-17 08:39 PM
2635369, God. Damn!!!
Posted by bignick, Wed Dec-27-17 09:06 PM
2635382, this might add more to the bandwagon than lebron did summer of 2010
Posted by Robert, Wed Dec-27-17 10:38 PM
2635426, I like it but I kinda wish it were black with those same color accents
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu Dec-28-17 11:05 AM
The white looks OK in a photo but on the floor the pastels will just run into it.
2635443, my favorite one of the bunch.
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Dec-28-17 01:53 PM
2635449, I don't like it...but its so Miami
Posted by Cenario, Thu Dec-28-17 02:48 PM
2635370, I fux w most of these heavy. great work by the swoosh overlords.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Wed Dec-27-17 09:11 PM
2635373, Some folks on Twitter didn't like them
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Dec-27-17 09:33 PM
But I like a lot of these. Like you said, these choices are bolder and I guess riskier than the other releases. The ones that I think don't work are the more conservative choices (like the Wolves' and Rockets' uniform)

The Clippers' uniforms ought to be their standard away uniform. I don't know why they don't embrace the nautical interpretation of their name. Seems like an obvious winner to me. Then again, even with the Clippers being better over the last handful of years, they still don't always make the best choices.
2635406, Really disappointed in a lot of these TBH
Posted by bentagain, Thu Dec-28-17 03:11 AM
If the idea was to incorporate the city into the design...the majority of these are whiffs

Mostly disappointed in my 6ers design

I had to read the description to realize the piss color and phila script was a homage to the Declaration of Independence...just looks like a lazy design to me

They can squeeze the Golden Gate Bridge and a Chinese theme into the GSW jersey...who play in OAK BTW...along with a dynamic color scheme...but Philly gets a nut rag with Phila scribbled on it...FOH!
'
Same for CLE. Known as the home of the rock and roll HOF...

...and Minny...the twin cities...

PHX

ATL

DAL

I could go on...having been to all of these cities...I don't think they followed through on the city theme for each franchise

Even the LAL...which I happen to actually really like...doesn't have a thing to do with the city

A lot of these feel lazy, uninspired, obvious merchandising money grab IMO

Yao Ming doesn't play for HOU anymore...HELLO, 😂
2635429, really? they look great overall, i agree some could have done a lot more
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu Dec-28-17 11:15 AM
as far as theme/city but let's relax, they will have new ones every year most likely and can't burn all the ideas at once.

>Mostly disappointed in my 6ers design

it's classy and it looks good but it's super short on thematic elements. like, as in, it doesn't have any. let's wait for some crazy ass liberty bell/independence hall thing later.

>I had to read the description to realize the piss color and
>phila script was a homage to the Declaration of
>Independence...just looks like a lazy design to me

i wouldn't say lazy but overly subtle.

>They can squeeze the Golden Gate Bridge and a Chinese theme
>into the GSW jersey...who play in OAK BTW...along with a
>dynamic color scheme...but Philly gets a nut rag with Phila
>scribbled on it...FOH!
>'
>Same for CLE. Known as the home of the rock and roll HOF...

i think the cleveland one looks nice and they will roll out stronger themes later. nike will give them plenty of attention, three pretty big endorsers there with lebron, it3 and love.

>...and Minny...the twin cities...

minnie looks decent to me, what would they have in terms of a twin cities theme? not all of them were like hit-you-over-the-head themed like portland, the lakers and golden state, in fact most were not. the bucks one is very subtle but very nice, lovely design.

>PHX

yeah it needed to have more going on, i also hope they bring back the bursting sun jerseys soon.

>ATL

those are kinda wack but a lot like their regular black jerseys, i guess.

>DAL

that or memphis would be my least favorite

>I could go on...having been to all of these cities...I don't
>think they followed through on the city theme for each
>franchise
>
>Even the LAL...which I happen to actually really
>like...doesn't have a thing to do with the city
>
>A lot of these feel lazy, uninspired, obvious merchandising
>money grab IMO
>
>Yao Ming doesn't play for HOU anymore...HELLO, 😂

Still hella Chinese people in Houston, man.

I feel like most of the ones you don't like I didn't like either but what about Chicago, Milwaukee, Golden State, Sacramento, OKC, Portland, Utah, Miami, etc. There are a lot of nice ones here. I was very critical of Nike on the first go-round but this offers a bit of redemption.
2635452, RE reply 29
Posted by bentagain, Thu Dec-28-17 03:20 PM
I feel like I should know what they are by looking at them.
2635622, That's not always feasible though
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sat Dec-30-17 12:17 PM
And the Sixers one I think is pretty clear from the parchment color and the font on the crest. The DOI is a little more familiar than a protest sign from 60 years ago, for example. That said I think the Sixers one was another good concept, so-so execution, if only because the color doesn't translate well to fabric. A lot of them are pretty obvious and more are obvious to locals, which is the idea here, right?
2635422, I still can't figure out the who, why or what of the Hawks branding team
Posted by B9, Thu Dec-28-17 10:52 AM
Almost like they get dragged by a focus group and keep coming up with worse ideas. When the Philips renovation is complete, they need to hit the reset button again on that nightmare.
2635425, I kinda get it, I mean they have never been too too tied to a color scheme
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu Dec-28-17 10:59 AM
Yes the white/red is traditional but sometimes it had blue, sometimes it had gold, and then they also had a weird royal blue/lime green period, a black/red period, a navy blue/red period and now these strange volt color. They wanted to be like the Seahawks, go with a bankable dark color and then some bright thing that could become their signature. I don't like it but I don't hate it either, better than the boring shit they wore during the navy era. I liked the Big Hawk, the 60s ones with the blue and the Pacman ones, I guess the 70s white/red was nice, too.
2635438, The volt is one thing, the triangle pattern though...
Posted by B9, Thu Dec-28-17 12:46 PM
that is problematic in a lot of ways. If you read the press releases about that design when they unveiled it and continue to harp on it with this special jersey, it has do with the "future of Atlanta" and I can't think of any time any sort of clothing described as "futuristic" ever worked. I actually think black, red and volt could work, but there is no reason to go to the extremes of that triangle nonsense when you are already working with something as jarring as neon.
2635427, Mavs, Grizzlies, Spurs, Suns are the ones I don't like very much
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu Dec-28-17 11:07 AM
Mavs and Grizzlies are super plain, especially Memphis. Spurs, I mean, just look at it. The Suns is OK but too dull and on top of that they have done very similar ones. I like the NOLA one but I wanna see the back, I get the sense like the Adidas ones were better though the design is similar. The Clippers is kind of boring, I get what they were shooting for but they kinda missed the mark.
2635440, i actually love the memphis jawn.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Thu Dec-28-17 01:41 PM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/9934421/Nike_NBA_City_Edition_Uniform_Memphis_Grizzlies_0092_native_1600.jpeg

https://digital.library.wayne.edu/iamaman/archive/fullsize/012f834638b623e624b51c8558028575.jpg

dope homage.
2635447, great concept, weak execution
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu Dec-28-17 02:33 PM
very hard to connect the dots there without a thorough explanation.
2635457, I liked these* from last year better
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Dec-28-17 03:50 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/grizzlies/sites/default/files/09142016_mlk_uniform_jm005.jpg

Based off of the Lorraine Motel font/colors.

* Obviously you would need to get rid of the t-shirt sleeves
2635632, a little more evident and much more visually appealing
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sat Dec-30-17 12:52 PM
IMO the best Memphis also were the Memphis Sounds ones, these are a close second.
2635468, i've seen a lot of ppl complaining about that
Posted by dula dibiasi, Thu Dec-28-17 05:11 PM
that the homages to the cities are not all immediately evident or self-explanatory.

i don't think they're supposed to be, or need to be. i like that some of them are just cool little design easter eggs.
2635631, you'd have to show me data to see if that falls into that category
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sat Dec-30-17 12:51 PM
the cream bucks jersey? OK, local reference, got it. this, without a visual explanation, is just a city's name with a line under it.
2637462, idk, i really like it.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Fri Jan-12-18 11:24 AM
prolly because i had just copped this lapel pin...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/551859356/i-am-a-man-soft-enamel-pin

(shout out to the homie peter @ reformed school chicago)

...a few days before these were unveiled, so it was kind of fresh on my mind.

i think it's hella clean. nice and minimalist. i fux w it.
2635479, Agreed.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Thu Dec-28-17 06:55 PM
I saw it and was like, "I mean, I guess."
2635441, Knicks, Sixers, Portland, GSW, Miami all dropped heat.
Posted by magilla vanilla, Thu Dec-28-17 01:45 PM
2635459, most of these are horrible...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Thu Dec-28-17 04:18 PM
..the few standouts are all simple (boston, philly, milwaulkee, ny, etc.).

the rest of these look like clown suits. i'll pass.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
2635624, I only see a handful of clown suits maybe like five
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sat Dec-30-17 12:20 PM
San Antonio might qualify. Utah I guess (though I like them a lot). OKC maybe (decent though). Orlando (it's Disney, man). GSW (sorta but I dig them, more loud than clownish). I am kind of at a loss to think of other over-the-top ones.
2635486, The Land jerseys are damn great
Posted by Kira, Thu Dec-28-17 08:27 PM
Not being biased of course but they are the best jerseys. That color choice takes courage and I hope it contributes to Bron staying. Give him control over the jerseys DG.
2635552, Most of these are dope
Posted by auragin_boi, Fri Dec-29-17 03:22 PM
My personal favs: Orlando (winner), Chicago (city flag), Memphis, Sacramento (runner up), Cleveland, Charlotte and Minny.

Lakers Mamba-skin is dope too
2635553, The Nets and Knicks are trashola
Posted by T Reynolds, Fri Dec-29-17 03:29 PM
OH I GET IT ANOTHER BROOKLYN BRIDGE REFERENCE

geez

and how 'never forget' can you get with the fdny logo? nah, yo. let's forget for just a minute and play basketball
2635556, I just actually looked at the Knicks joint...
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Dec-29-17 03:39 PM
lol, it IS pretty bad. I mean, I get what they are going for, but the FDNY is the best reference to the city of New York they could come up with for a basketball uni?
2635626, Yeah both are below-average to me.
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sat Dec-30-17 12:37 PM
The Brooklyn one seems too obvious and also they refuse to straw from their boring AF color scheme that makes the Spurs' uni seem lively. It isn't an eyesore but it doesn't stray far from their normal uniforms and the bridge element is not overly obvious but pretty plain, too.

The Knicks one I didn't like at first. It seems to have gotten good critical reception. It's OK but again there have been lots of FDY/NYPD tributes and patches and stuff, seems like low-hanging fruit to me and especially the way they executed it.

I feel sort of the same about Nawlins having a Mardi Gras thing again. Already been done. How about something jazz-oriented? But at least they look interesting.