Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectHelp me criticize Dwayne Casey. I'm having a hard time.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2635211
2635211, Help me criticize Dwayne Casey. I'm having a hard time.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Dec-26-17 07:14 PM

Help me shit on Casey, typical OKS style.

He looks like a preacher? I'm having a hard time coming up
with anything else.

I want to say that "his guys love playing with him" but I have
this sad, sneaky suspicion he might be highly intelligent, wildly
underrated, fantastic coach.

Let's see....ahhh......

Casey has several ELITE top 5 picks in his starting lineup
(Kyrie, Horford, Jalen Brown, Jason Tatum), other key lottery
role players (Smart) and has his at the top of an awful east.

Expected, right? Okay, good.

Wait.

Oh.

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
2635241, https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/untitled-13.gif?w=1000
Posted by dula dibiasi, Tue Dec-26-17 10:31 PM
https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/untitled-13.gif?w=1000
2635242, #BBN should've never gotten fired from the Wolves.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Dec-26-17 10:38 PM
2635245, Toronto : model of diverse city but of course racist
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Tue Dec-26-17 11:11 PM
Been hating him. I think there’s rumors that him an lowry don’t see eye to eye.

You can start here but there’s a rabbit hole of these threads on reddit nba and raptors about how bad he is

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/torontoraptors/comments/5tqtam/lets_have_a_rational_conversation_about_dwayne/
2635246, Hmmm.... Oh word. Casey doesn't want his pg eating Little Debbies?
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Dec-26-17 11:20 PM
2635249, That actually upset me. Fuck everybody and goodnight.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Wed Dec-27-17 12:11 AM

Goddamn.

2635250, craptors fans actually think thats a championship roster lmfaoooo
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Dec-27-17 12:30 AM
aint no coach on earth taking that team to the next level cause there aint a next level for them
2635253, Oh well if reddit says
Posted by bshelly, Wed Dec-27-17 08:40 AM
2635261, Yeah, "this Reddit thread is racist" is like saying "water is wet."
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Dec-27-17 09:54 AM
2635262, WAIT WAIT WAIT
Posted by dula dibiasi, Wed Dec-27-17 10:10 AM
so you guys are saying that the niche subset of "nba fans who post on reddit" may not be fully representative of a major metropolis with a population of 3 million?
2635284, Lol. You're posting pre-November 2016, bro.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Wed Dec-27-17 11:40 AM
>so you guys are saying that the niche subset of "nba fans who
>post on reddit" may not be fully representative of a major
>metropolis with a population of 3 million?

Yes, that is exactly what white people think.

That is precisely how Trump was elected.

Dula -- you're my nigga and all but it's too late to
fall on the sword defending white racists.

(C)Keith Murray, "
2635276, Lol you guys
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Wed Dec-27-17 11:20 AM
Reddit is racist but r/nba and r/xyeamforums are probably these days the most consistently posted on places. This is where nba fandom is trending in a lot of ways..

I’d say the team forums are less racist than overall nba forums,

But if you do. Google search for

Raptors forums, Dwayne Casey you’ll find a lot of the same shot.

This was the 1st result in a quick lookup to Raptors HQ— Casey blame

But it’s a sb nation site so will that get discounted?
https://www.raptorshq.com/2017/11/12/16641046/toronto-raptors-boston-celtics-final-score-recap-demar-derozan-al-horford

Basketball internet forums in general are trending more white, young, and more racist these days
2635280, Lemme guess: rotations and sideline OOB plays
Posted by bshelly, Wed Dec-27-17 11:29 AM
Because if NBA twitter taught me anything, it’s that head coaching is rotations, sideline OOB plays, and nothing else. If I can’t see it with the naked I, it doesn’t count.
2635319, forgot: good ol in game adjustments
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Wed Dec-27-17 02:23 PM
2635351, AKA: OKS Laker fans discussing Mike Brown and Byron Scott.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Wed Dec-27-17 04:14 PM

Disgusting.

(C)Keith Murray, "
2635286, Sounds familiar.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Wed Dec-27-17 11:43 AM

>Basketball internet forums in general are trending more white,
>young, and more racist these days

Sounds like a country I know.

(C)Keith Murray, "
2635320, I’m gonna copy/paste your above post in r/nba
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Wed Dec-27-17 02:24 PM
And have some fun later on today
2635263, o reddit a source now?
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Dec-27-17 10:23 AM
you could find fans of any fan base bashing literally any coaching and calling for his head. if a team plays a bad game, you can find twice as many.
2635275, You can find quadruple as many if the coach is black
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Wed Dec-27-17 11:14 AM
2635285, Actually, that is the exact lesson from the Trump election, idiot.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Wed Dec-27-17 11:43 AM
>you could find fans of any fan base bashing literally any
>coaching and calling for his head. if a team plays a bad game,
>you can find twice as many.

The NUMBER ONE lesson from this era is that these "fringe"
views are not fringe. This is how 60%+ of white men feel.
(and I'm being conservative).

(C)Keith Murray, "
2635340, did i say they were fringe, dipshit? they aren't fringe, just dumb
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Dec-27-17 03:13 PM
and luckily there is no popular referendum or electoral college on whether or not a coach keeps his job or not
2635350, LMAO. You can't dismiss racism if it isn't fringe, pal.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Wed Dec-27-17 04:14 PM
Listening to y'all and y'all dumbass "eh, ignore them, they aren't
harmful" is exactly what got people marching in Charlottesville.

Sorry, buddy, your naive dismissal era is over.

It is NOT a "small, irrelevant pack of dumb people."

Y'all kill me with the "they are dumb" stuff. Shit is all
good until we get Trump. Sorry.

White people do not like negroes, and it does affect who gets
hired and fired.

YOU can talk about who is "dumb." I'm trying to get some equity
up in this bitch.

>and luckily there is no popular referendum or electoral
>college on whether or not a coach keeps his job or not

Uh.

No, but we are discussing the way coaches are perceived and
evaluated in which case the way....actual people discuss coaches
is relevant.
2635265, Out of curiosity
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Dec-27-17 10:27 AM
why did you link that reddit thread through a google link and not just use reddit as the source?
2635277, I didn’t have that bookmarked
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Wed Dec-27-17 11:21 AM
I’m on my phone and did a quick google search and that was the result and the easiest way was to copy from the address bar
2635412, dwane's a dope coach.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Thu Dec-28-17 08:27 AM
he's made a number of major adjustments this season in terms of how that team plays, and if they finish in the #1 he'll win CotY.

that said, that team's hit a plateau, and at some point he's going to have to beat cleveland in the postseason for most ppl to give him the respect that he deserves.
2637510, Weird how that standard doesn't apply to everyone.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Fri Jan-12-18 02:25 PM
>he's made a number of major adjustments this season in terms
>of how that team plays, and if they finish in the #1 he'll win
>CotY.
>
>that said, that team's hit a plateau, and at some point he's
>going to have to beat cleveland in the postseason for most ppl
>to give him the respect that he deserves.

Didn't this apply to Thibs? Thibs got a team with 2 #1 overalls
AND a Front office job.

So both Thibs and Casey maximized their situations, never
won anything (Casey without a #1 overall pick and league MVP).

So Casey gonna get front office powers?

(C)Keith Murray, "
2637509, Hmmmm 
Posted by Orbit_Established, Fri Jan-12-18 02:22 PM

(C)Keith Murray, "
2637586, This is a good peep.....*watches in the background*
Posted by B.J.S.301, Sat Jan-13-18 01:01 PM
2646034, a must-read from the gawd lee jenkins:
Posted by dula dibiasi, Wed Mar-07-18 11:29 AM
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/03/06/dwane-casey-raptors-kyle-lowry-demar-derozan-kentucky-ncaa

great profile.
2646059, fuck it, i'm swiping this (it's that good)
Posted by dula dibiasi, Wed Mar-07-18 02:43 PM
Smooth Operator: Dwane Casey Is Still Ironing out Every Wrinkle He Can Find

It’s been a bumpy road, but Dwane Casey has smoothed out every crease in his path to becoming the winningest coach in Raptors history, both on the hardwood and in life.

By LEE JENKINS March 06, 2018

Four-and-a-half hours before tip-off Dwane Casey heads downstairs, to the basement of his three-story brownstone in midtown Toronto, and lowers the ironing board from the rack on the laundry room wall. The cover is baby blue with vertical stripes, a Christmas present from his wife, Brenda. She also bought him a new iron, a white T-fal, but he still prefers the silver Shark. After positioning the board on a narrow strip of brown carpet alongside his office desk, he grabs the steaming Shark and prepares that night’s ensemble: shirt, jacket, pants, pocket square. For the few minutes he guides metal over cloth, he is not the coach of the best team in the Eastern Conference and not the winningest coach in the history of the Toronto Raptors. He is his daddy’s grandson.

Casey was born to a young couple in Indianapolis and raised by his mother’s parents in northwest Kentucky, apart from his four younger siblings. The grandfather he called Daddy, Urey Miller, worked mornings at Elliott Cleaners in Morganfield and nights at Payne’s Cleaners in Henderson. Urey left home every day at 5:30 a.m. in a crisp T-shirt and creased slacks, dirty laundry under his arm. “I had one suit and he always made sure it was pressed,” Casey recalls. “We didn’t have a lot, but we had that.” On days his grandfather let him tag along to the dry cleaners, Dwane separated lights from darks, and afterward Urey rewarded him. He had one more shift, the graveyard at Bel Air Restaurant, where African-Americans were allowed to clean but not eat. As Urey mopped empty floors, Dwane gorged on ice cream and Coke.

He’d offer to iron sheets for his grandmother, Elizabeth, and later jeans for his wife. “Dwane,” Brenda reminds him. “They’re jeans.” He is not a neat freak. He just likes having something to smooth. As a fourth-grader at Morganfield Elementary, he waded through hostile white parents protesting the desegregation of the school, and then he defended himself against daily attacks from their children. “Those became some of my best friends,” he says, the first wrinkles removed.

He started coaching when he was 13, with the Morganfield Little League Cardinals, who toasted their championship over milk shakes at Dairy Mart. But his career was marked by far-flung detours: to a coal mine, a tobacco farm, a courtroom and a Japanese gym where he tutored both the men and the women. He sold a newspaper, chauffeured a governor, was exiled by college basketball and exalted by the NBA. Seven years ago on Biscayne Bay, he implemented a defense that helped change the sport, forcing teams to reevaluate conventional lineups, stilted sets and the definition of a good shot. This season he finally joined the freewheeling movement he spawned, and the Raptors sit atop the East.

Casey arrived in Toronto as head coach in 2011 after failed interviews with a third of the league. He nearly missed his introductory press conference, having left his passport in a suit jacket that wound up in a Dallas storage unit, but he sweet-talked an understanding customs agent at the border crossing north of Buffalo. Newspaper clippings helped his case. Casey and Brenda moved into a downtown apartment on the 52nd floor of a 54-floor high rise with a three-year-old, Justine, and a newborn, Zachary. Fire alarms sounded all night, and Diapers.com didn’t deliver. At Justine’s preschool drop-off, they saw only Maple Leafs sweaters. The Raptors ranked 30th in defensive rating, 20th in offensive rating and were trying to tank. Two years later they were still trying, trading everybody of significance except swingman DeMar DeRozan and point guard Kyle Lowry, whom they almost jettisoned until the Knicks backed out of the deal.

When Lowry and DeRozan led Toronto to the playoffs in 2013–14, no one was more surprised than the Raptors themselves, who rushed out the marketing slogan they’d reserved for the following season: “We The North.” Since that stroke of branding genius, Toronto has never won fewer than 49 games, a stretch Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady would envy. The Caseys moved to the brownstone in Summerhill, with a school at the end of the block and a ballpark where dads set up a pitching machine and order pizza. When Brenda hawked Raps gear from Dwane’s closet to raise money for the school last fall, she sold out in a day.

She calls him a hoarder, not of clothes but of notes, scrawled on everything from magazine covers to kindergarten paintings. Loose pages fill plastic bins in the basement, pick-and-rolls drawn for Gary Payton and pin-downs for Kevin Garnett, along with VHS tapes he doesn’t have a machine for. “I can burn them onto DVDs,” Casey argues, not that he ever will. “I guess I just like knowing where my thoughts are,” he says. He can always open the lid and retrace an improbable ascent, from south to north, the bottom of the basketball world to the top.

Casey is 60 but his wife is 40 and their children are not much older than Lowry’s and DeRozan’s. So the Raptors sometimes forget their coach was only the fifth African-American ever to play at Kentucky, a defensive-minded point guard who won a national championship in 1978 while spending summers cutting tobacco with a machete and cleaning rails at Island Creek coal mine. At lunch, he would dim the light on his miner’s helmet and nap 450 feet under the earth, rats scurrying beside him. After graduating in ’79, Casey landed a job with healthcare giant Humana, but it required him to move to San Diego. He scrambled back to Memorial Coliseum, where Cats coach Joe B. Hall was preparing for the arrival of a vaunted recruiting class, led by center Sam Bowie. Hall told Casey to stay in Lexington, live with Bowie and teach the gifted freshmen the 6-8-10 offense. The 6-8-10, which Adolph Rupp ran more than a half century ago, was complicated. A bounce pass to the elbow signified one play, an air pass to the wing another.

Casey had sales experience—he peddled ads in Clay County for The Cats’ Pause, a weekly newsletter about UK basketball—and connections. His grandmother was the caretaker for former Kentucky governor and senator Earle Clements, and Casey occasionally drove the elder statesman to functions. But the time he spent with Bowie and the other young Cats reminded him how much he liked to teach. These were not the Little League Cardinals. They were the best basketball players in the country, and as Casey moved up the coaching staff, it became his responsibility to sign them: Shawn Kemp. Eric Manuel. LeRon Ellis. Chris Mills.

“The unwritten rule in college basketball is the black assistant goes and gets the black players,” Casey says. “Don’t worry about the X’s and O’s. Just recruit.” Casey insists he was never marginalized at Kentucky—head coach Eddie Sutton, who succeeded Hall in 1985, typically asked him to run parts of practice—but peers throughout the industry were. So he drove to rival SEC schools to research scouting reports, then hustled back to campus for coaches’ meetings and stayed after practice for skill work. During the offseason, he helped train the Japanese national team when they stopped in Lexington. “You can’t allow yourself to get typecast as a recruiter, because that label sticks and carries,” Casey continues. “I fought it. I made myself learn the game and teach the game.”

He was interviewing for his first head-coaching position in 1989, with the University of New Orleans, when employees at Emery Worldwide freight services in Los Angeles claimed they discovered $1,000 in a package addressed from Casey to Claud Mills, Chris’s father. After the ensuing investigation, the NCAA placed Kentucky on three years’ probation and handed Casey a five-year show-cause penalty, essentially banning him from college basketball. Kentucky offered him a job in minority affairs, but he still wanted to coach, and there weren’t many places he could do it. Kyoto was one. Casey lived in the Grand Prince Hotel and took over a club called Sekisui Chemical. For his men’s team, he imported Kentucky alums, such as Cedric Jenkins. For his women’s team, he lured Joy Holmes, the mother of current Nuggets guard Gary Harris. When he wasn’t at the gym or the Prince, he was barnstorming on a bus through Nagoya and Osaka with the national team, wondering if he’d have to call Humana.

Casey sued Emery for $6.9 million, and after he settled the defamation case in 1990 the NCAA lifted his ban. It turned out Casey had been on the road when the package was sent—recruiting—and the only evidence found in the envelope was a videocassette of a high-school game Mills played. Casey ironed out his record, but not his reputation. “Nobody remembers the settlement and the proof,” he laments. “The perception is set.” When Western Kentucky interviewed him later for a head-coaching vacancy, the school president assured him that the UK case was old news. Then he sat in front of the committee. First question: “What happened at Kentucky?”

The NBA didn’t care. Every July, Casey returned from Japan and coached a mishmash unit in the L.A. summer league, headlined by the Clippers’ Gary Grant and Olden Polynice. He loved it. He didn’t have to recruit. “Dwane had an NBA personality,” recalls George Karl. “Humble with an aggressive mind.” On the summer day in 1994 when Karl interviewed Casey at agent Bret Adams’s office in Columbus, Ohio, the SuperSonics coach wore a T-shirt and shorts; Casey wore a meticulously pressed suit. Karl and Adams were friendly with Sutton, who had resigned from Kentucky at the same time as Casey but rebounded much faster, as head man at Oklahoma State. Sutton lobbied for Casey. Karl had already hired Tim Grgurich, an assistant under Jerry Tarkanian at UNLV, to his Sonics staff. Now he was throwing another life raft to another college castaway. “I have a real nervousness,” Karl says, “about the NCAA stopping good coaches from being good coaches.”

Three seconds remain in the fourth quarter on Feb. 23, the Bucks leading the Raptors by a basket at Air Canada Centre, and Casey calls timeout. The Raps’ closers sit in front of him, all except center Jonas Valanciunas, who stands. Casey calls 4-Keep, which starts with an inbounds pass from C.J. Miles to Valanciunas at the elbow. When Toronto acquired Miles in July, Casey called him that night and chatted for almost an hour, describing ways he could use the sniper as an inbounder. “You could tell he’d already been thinking about specific plays,” Miles says.

Valanciunas catches on the right wing and straddles the three-point line. He clutches the ball in his right hand and Miles rushes toward it. The Milwaukee defender assigned to Valanciunas, center John Henson, anticipates the handoff and leans toward Miles. He can’t let a good shooter get an open three. But as Miles glides by, Valanciunas fakes the exchange and drives down the right side. He has a head start on Henson, who tries to recover, but Valanciunas rises for the rare buzzer-beating dunk. “Ballsy call,” says Toronto guard Fred VanVleet. Not only is Valanciunas the slowest player on the team, Casey had to tell Lowry and DeRozan they were both decoys.

When Casey walks through the back door of the brownstone that night, Brenda is still awake. “Jonas got fouled,” she says. Henson did appear to hit Valanciunas’s left arm on the way up, but there was no whistle and the Bucks won in overtime. They used to argue after games if Brenda disagreed with a play or a substitution. A blonde from Seattle, Brenda grew up watching the Sonics at KeyArena, and after graduating from Pepperdine in 1999, she worked for Kauffman Sports. The agency used a valuation for NBA players called Tendex, and Brenda was in charge of calculating the formula. Nunyo Demasio, then the Sonics beat writer for The Seattle Times, introduced her to Casey when she was in town to visit a client, guard Emanual Davis. Their first date was at summer league in L.A. Their honeymoon was at the World Games in Japan.

Casey earned his first NBA head coaching gig with Minnesota in 2005, when Garnett’s skills had diminished but his expectations had not. After Casey started his second season 20–20, the Wolves fired him, and they wouldn’t hit .500 again for a decade. Casey landed in Dallas as a defensive coordinator, with more aging stars, and he wanted to devise a zone the Mavericks could use like an eephus pitch. P---y defense, players grumbled, and point guard Jason Kidd abandoned the zone if it allowed a basket. At training camp in ’10, Casey told the Mavs they were going to build the best zone in the league, and grousing continued. “I like to lock up, man-to-man,” Shawn Marion said.

“Trust me,” Casey replied. “We’re going to need this at some point.” The Mavericks spent 10 minutes on zone slides at every practice and deployed the zone for an entire preseason game in Chicago. Still, they used the zone sparing during the regular season, until the Finals against Miami. The Mavs had no one to match up with LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. Dallas was too old, too slow and too small in the backcourt. “It was finally time to whip out that f------ zone,” recalls former Mavs guard Jason Terry. Dallas alternated between a 2–3 and a man-to-man defense in which they sank guards to the elbows and bigs to the boxes. “Miami ran iso like 80% of the time with LeBron and D-Wade,” Terry recounts. “You beat me, here’s another guy waiting. You beat him, here’s Tyson Chandler waiting. There was nowhere to isolate and nowhere to kick out. Remember, they didn’t have Ray Allen then. LeBron had to shoot jump shots. And what was LeBron’s weakness at the time? Eighteen foot jump shots.”

After Dallas won Game 6, Casey walked Biscayne Boulevard back to the Four Seasons, fleeing champagne fumes. He does not drink. He called Brenda, nine months pregnant with Zachary. Their life, and their sport, was about to change. That summer the Heat overhauled its offense, surrounding James with marksmen, and turning those endless isos into high pick-and-rolls. Power forward Chris Bosh started playing center and jacking threes. Plodders such as Joel Anthony faded away. “That zone made me a better coach,” Miami’s Erik Spoelstra told Casey. The Heat captured the next two titles, trumpeting pace and space; the Spurs and the Warriors won the two after that, touting the same. “Everything was different,” Terry says. “It was all about movement and shooting.”

Even with Casey, hired a week after the Finals, the Raptors were unlikely holdouts. “I came here from Houston, where it was all pull-up threes, and he didn’t want that,” says Lowry, who joined the Raptors in 2012. “He wanted slow-down, mid-range, run the offense. For two years we were like this.” Lowry bangs his knuckles against each other. Lowry was headstrong, but Casey had been steeled for the challenge—by Garnett, Payton and Secretariat. At Kentucky, Casey drove recruits to Claiborne Farm, where Secretariat had retired. Trainers told him they had to muzzle the horse or else he would nip their hands at feeding time. “The great ones,” Casey concluded, “are edgy.”

The relationship with Lowry was something else to smooth. Casey loosened the reins, and over the past three seasons, the Raptors never finished lower than sixth in offensive rating. All that earned them, however, was a pair of beatdowns from James. After Cleveland swept Toronto last May, Raps president Masai Ujiri promised a “culture reset,” which sounded like he might fire the coach or detonate the roster. Instead, he charged Casey with modernizing the offense while developing the bench, populated by players 25 and under. Casey revisited his Dallas days and dusted off elements of Rick Carlisle’s system, called Flow. “It’s not so many play calls for Kyle, play calls for DeMar,” Casey explains. “It’s more random pick-and-rolls, move the ball side-to-side, read and react.” He used to bench Valanciunas for threes. Now he encourages the 7-footer to let fly.

Through the first two months of this season, Lowry flashed Casey his familiar side-eye, frustrated with kick-ahead passes that took the ball out of his hands. “I figured it out,” Lowry says. “It just took a while.” Lowry’s scoring average is down, from 22.4 points to 16.5, but the Raptors are 45–17, they rank fourth in offensive rating and their bench ranks first in net efficiency, according to hoopsstats.com.

Of course, James may still dropkick them off the CN Tower this spring, but the Raptors have at least entered his airspace. Lowry and DeRozan were both in L.A. for the All-Star Game last month, with Casey coaching Team LeBron. He met James’s 13-year-old son, Bronny, and gave his recruiting pitch for Kentucky. “I’ll probably get in trouble for that,” he said, and James howled.

Even in Canada, Casey keeps the bluegrass close. “We couldn’t hit the side of the barn with a bass fiddle,” he tells the Raps, gravel in his voice. “We couldn’t throw rice in the ocean out of a rowboat.” He is quick to laugh and quicker to cry. Brenda doesn’t think he should watch This Is Us because she fears the waterworks. Last season, during a practice in Washington before a game against the Wizards, Casey spotted former Georgetown coach John Thompson. He did not break down, but he bee-lined for Big John. “As long as I live,” Casey said, “I’ll never forget how you stood up for me.”

In 1989, at a Black Coaches Association meeting in Dallas, Thompson addressed an NCAA official in the room: “If you think this guy is the problem with college basketball,” Thompson boomed, pointing at Casey, “you’re crazy.” The business was deserting him, but one outsized ally remained.

“Does that make you want to stand up?” Brenda asks, nearly 30 years later, sitting in their living room over a plate of macarons. She is raising children in a city where so many of their classmates are biracial they don’t even know the meaning of the word. But she recoils at the coded language often used to describe African-American coaches: Communicator. Connector. Father figure. In college, it is more than a stereotype. It is a job, befriending African-American players and signing them. Some assistants are gone most of the week recruiting and back on game days, exposed to amateur basketball’s underworld, the risks and temptations. All four assistants currently facing federal charges in the FBI’s college hoops probe are African-American. The more common punishment, however, is a pigeonhole.

It takes an iron man to dig out.

“I hope I can stand up and be an example that helps change the narrative,” Casey says. “ ‘He understands the game from a technical standpoint. He can teach the game. He can change an offense. He can put in a zone. He can do more than recruit.’”
2646038, They've got to do it in the playoffs
Posted by Cenario, Wed Mar-07-18 11:52 AM
This is bron's weakest team in a long time +if they can hold on to the 1 seed, this is their best chance to reach the finals.

if not, someone on that team ain't as good as we suppose to believe.
2655013, Here
Posted by Cenario, Tue May-08-18 05:33 AM
>
if not, someone on that team ain't as good as we suppose to believe
2655023, Lebron beat a 73 win team down 3-1. Was that Kerr's fault?
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue May-08-18 08:36 AM

Oh.
2655039, absolutely. It was all them dude's fault. Kerr ain't excused.
Posted by Cenario, Tue May-08-18 09:19 AM
Golden State shoulda won.

2655187, If they'd had that 73-win squad GSW would have won that series easily
Posted by theeraser, Tue May-08-18 04:05 PM
2646046, Why is All-Star coach Dwane Casey seemingly always on the hot seat?
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Mar-07-18 12:46 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/star-coach-dwane-casey-seemingly-always-hot-seat-171859335.html

Why is All-Star coach Dwane Casey seemingly always on the hot seat?

Chris Mannix
Yahoo Sports
Feb 15, 2018, 11:18 AM

TORONTO – Let’s call him “Coach A.” Coach A has been in City B for seven years. He inherited a team that was 22-60. By his third season, it was 48-34. He has made the playoffs for four straight seasons, advanced to a conference final and, entering the All-Star break, his team is sitting atop his conference.

A coach with those credentials should be among the highest paid, with airtight job security, right?

Right — except if you’re Dwane Casey, and you are coaching in Toronto.

Casey is headed to Los Angeles this weekend to coach Team LeBron in the All-Star Game. It’s an honor he never aspired to — Casey was an assistant on All-Star staffs in 1996 and ’98, which was good enough for him. Asked about going to L.A., Casey cites only two things: being the first Raptors coach to coach an All-Star team, and the fact that coaching it probably means your team is winning.

“I really never thought about ,” Casey told Yahoo Sports. “The only thing I think about is doing the boring things every day to win. That’s what I worry about. That’s why I’m probably boring as a coach.”

Boring, perhaps. Successful, definitely. Toronto is 41-16 entering the All-Star break, with a two-game cushion over Boston for the top spot. The Raps are riding a seven-game winning streak, have won nine of their last 10 and own the best home record (24-4) in the NBA.

Credit often — and rightfully — begins with the stars, DeMar DeRozan and Kyle Lowry, who will join Casey in L.A. Serge Ibaka is having a fine two-way season, while Toronto’s unheralded bench (Delon Wright, Fred VanVleet, Pascal Siakam) has emerged as one of the best in basketball. Casey? There is often a perception that Casey is just along for the ride.

Think about it: When is Casey not on the hot seat? “My butt is burning from being on the hot seat every year,” Casey said, laughing. His offenses — ranked in the top 10 the last four seasons — have been deemed too simplistic and it often felt like the Raptors were one early playoff exit from GM Masai Ujiri — who inherited Casey when he took the job in 2013 — letting Casey go.

“Honestly though, I don’t feel that way,” Casey said. “I’m coaching to win, and I don’t worry about all that outside crap. I know what we’re doing here, I’m proud of what we’re doing here. Ownership, they are supportive. A lot of is hopefully media driven because I think people appreciate what we’re working with, developing players and getting better every year.

“If Masai walked in tomorrow and , I understand that is the job. I’m not looking over me, behind me, whatever. Because I know I can fish. I know how to fish. I know I can coach. I know the game. I’ve been in the game a long time. Masai and I are a lot alike in the fact that we have in common that we want to win. We want to develop and work hard. Those common denominators have kept us together.”

Together, and thriving. Cleveland has sent Toronto home the last two postseasons, but this season the Raptors believe they have a team built to better compete. Casey overhauled his offense last summer, dumping an isolation-heavy, 3-point averse style for a more free-flowing offense that has the Raptors ranked in the top 10 in 3-pointers attempted (32.4 per game) and made (11.6) this season. After the team moved off several pricey veterans last summer, the young players Casey has spent years developing have capably stepped in.

“Dwane is incredible,” Celtics coach Brad Stevens said. “Not only have they tweaked some of the things they are doing on offense, but they have become more switch-oriented . From an X’s and O’s standpoint, it’s obvious they are exceptionally well coached. But when you go even further and see how well the young players are playing, it’s a testament to the players but it’s also a testament to the environment.”

Casey knows the challenge in front of him. Regular-season success is meaningless if it doesn’t come with a postseason payoff. “The next step we take is the hardest step we take — going good to great with the same group,” Casey said. And he understands that when a team is together for awhile, a coach’s voice can become stale. Nowadays, Casey delegates more, empowering assistant coach Nick Nurse to run the offensive drills in practice, and Rex Kalamian to run the defense. He’s formed a leadership council — headed by Lowry, DeRozan and Ibaka — that he discusses everything from travel plans to practice times with.

“Early in my coaching career, I was doing everything,” Casey said. “You can’t do that and keep it fresh. If you say the same thing over and over again, it’s going to get stale.”

Casey is excited about coaching the All-Star Game. He remembers marveling at Kobe Bryant, then still a teenager, waving Karl Malone out of the post in 1998. “The moxie, the nerve to wave out a great player,” Casey said. “That showed me that Kobe was going to be great.” Casey says he has two goals: that nobody gets hurt and that his team plays to win. “The All-Star Games have deteriorated,” Casey said. “Michael Jordan wanted to win at tiddlywinks. That’s the competitive spirit I want our team to have. We owe it to the junior high coaches, the high school coaches, the AAU coaches to be an example. To always play the right way.”

Next week Casey will be back in Toronto, trying to drive the Raptors to new heights. There may come a day when Casey isn’t feeling quite so much pressure. That day isn’t here yet.
2646267, Y'all got big plans this weekend?
Posted by Orbit_Established, Thu Mar-08-18 09:29 PM

What's going on?
2646304, why the hell nbatv not showing raptors/rockets?
Posted by bshelly, Fri Mar-09-18 08:37 AM
cism, that's why.
2647523, Hi
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Mar-20-18 01:40 AM

(C)Keith Murray, "
2650356, For the record: I expect the Wizards to beat the Raptors.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Thu Apr-12-18 07:45 AM

Wiz top 2 is better than the Raptors top 2, and
I think the Wiz are top to bottom more talented.

Only difference between these two is that the Raptors
overachieve because their coach is intelligent, and
the Wizards underachieve because their coach is not.

Pure talent reigns in the playoffs, though.

(C)Keith Murray, "
2653353, L. I underestimated the brilliance of Casey. Who's mad?
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sat Apr-28-18 12:46 AM
>
>Wiz top 2 is better than the Raptors top 2, and
>I think the Wiz are top to bottom more talented.
>
>Only difference between these two is that the Raptors
>overachieve because their coach is intelligent, and
>the Wizards underachieve because their coach is not.
>
>Pure talent reigns in the playoffs, though.
>
>----------------------------
>
>
>
>O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"
>
>
>
>
>"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."
>
>(C)Keith Murray, "

(C)Keith Murray, "
2653355, I coulda told you not to pick the Wiz.
Posted by B.J.S.301, Sat Apr-28-18 12:53 AM
Talent matters but competent coaching matters too. Brooks is not that at all. Casey made smart adjustments and had his team playing great defense. I'm wishing the Raptors the best.
2654980, McMillan better
Posted by falafel stand pimpin, Mon May-07-18 10:09 PM
2654989, Both were top 5 in the league this year, easily. (1 & 2 imo)
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon May-07-18 10:34 PM

2655002, snyder or stevens then those two for sure
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Mon May-07-18 11:33 PM
snyder winning 48 games and now a series with that roster was incredible. stevens is just good, i dunno if he did the best job this year per se but after pop he's the first coach i'd take. i liked mcmillan's work better than casey's but they were both really strong. doc rivers is a guy getting zero press because his team missed the playoffs but even being involved was pretty incredible. they shook up their whole goddamn team and had a bunch of injuries. they would have made them 'offs in the east.
2655003, I agree with your post, overall. n/m
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon May-07-18 11:42 PM
>snyder winning 48 games and now a series with that roster was
>incredible. stevens is just good, i dunno if he did the best
>job this year per se but after pop he's the first coach i'd
>take. i liked mcmillan's work better than casey's but they
>were both really strong. doc rivers is a guy getting zero
>press because his team missed the playoffs but even being
>involved was pretty incredible. they shook up their whole
>goddamn team and had a bunch of injuries. they would have made
>them 'offs in the east.

(C)Keith Murray, "
2655037, Almost everybody here had them as a 4-5 seed
Posted by DJR, Tue May-08-18 09:18 AM
Nobody had them as better than a 3 seed. Talent wise, that’s about right. Talent-wise, 4-5 seeds lose in the second round to teams with the best player of the last 20 years.

You can’t consider them a 5 seed, and then cry for them to fire the coach because they completely overachieved and got a 1 seed.

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2625347&mesg_id=2625347&listing_type=search
2655040, Are people saying Casey should be fired?
Posted by Cenario, Tue May-08-18 09:25 AM
i'm not saying that he should be fired, but they shouldn't have gotten swept by the same team indiana took to 7 games.

it falls on all of their shoulders. Especially since they've had a few playoff disappointments now. (Casey, Derozan, Lowry)
2655042, I’ve seen a few mentions of firing him
Posted by DJR, Tue May-08-18 09:29 AM
This year appeared to be their best chance to go deeper, but that was more about the other teams in the East than it was about them. They’re a good, not great team IMO.
2655059, Yup and that's exactly what i said above. this was their best chance
Posted by Cenario, Tue May-08-18 10:07 AM
at a finals. If they couldn't do it this year, I don't think they ever will as constructed (short of adding a 3rd star)
2655041, fire Casey????
Posted by Dstl1, Tue May-08-18 09:28 AM
https://tenor.com/view/who-said-that-rhoa-gif-8227860
2655044, My bad, after scrolling quickly, I only see BrooklynWhat saying that
Posted by DJR, Tue May-08-18 09:31 AM
Could’ve sworn I saw more of that sentiment last night but that might’ve been more twitter than here.
2655047, that's nuts, man...
Posted by Dstl1, Tue May-08-18 09:36 AM
couple of flubs the other night, IMO...benching Demar that long and that horrible play they got out of a timeout when they were down by three that ended with a VanVleet 30 foot contested three. Firing, though...nah, no way.
2655045, 166 wins over the last 3 years
Posted by cgonz00cc, Tue May-08-18 09:32 AM
no one overachieves that much for that long
2655061, they aren't overachieving, because they have dwayne casey
Posted by bshelly, Tue May-08-18 10:10 AM
dwayne casey gets the talent to overachieve. the only reason the organization consistently outperforms the talent they have is because casey coaches his ass off each and every year.

it's not hard.
2655064, this is a logic trap
Posted by cgonz00cc, Tue May-08-18 10:19 AM
hes good enough to get them 59 wins so hes amazing

but not actually amazing because they got broomed out of the second round

which is it?
2655103, Does Casey stop coaching them in the playoffs?
Posted by Cenario, Tue May-08-18 12:38 PM
2655108, god, i really have to explain this?
Posted by bshelly, Tue May-08-18 12:44 PM
no. he hits a place where the talent discrepency finally becomes too much. a great coach can help a team beat another team that has slightly more talent (see also: brad stephens, right now). But dwayne casey can't make derozen and lowry into harden and paul, so he's not able to beat the greatest player who ever lived.
2655109, ONE win. not FOUR...ONE.
Posted by cgonz00cc, Tue May-08-18 12:51 PM
2655111, lol right. Cleveland should have won. they shouldn't have swept tho.
Posted by Cenario, Tue May-08-18 12:52 PM
2655177, ^^^^^^^^^
Posted by khn, Tue May-08-18 03:00 PM
First one seed in the modern era to get swept before the conference finals.

Casey, like everyone there - even Masai the gawd - deserves a roasting.
2655199, Uh. 1 seeds have lost in the FIRST round, imbecile.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue May-08-18 05:03 PM

Are y'all that unintelligent?
2655200, Before we continue
Posted by khn, Tue May-08-18 05:26 PM
If you need, I'm happy to explain the difference between losing a series and getting swept. No judgment at all, I'm always happy to educate.

Calling me that name hurt my feelings, though.
2655297, I apologize for calling you a name. I'm serious.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Wed May-09-18 11:13 AM

But your point was pretty awful.

(C)Keith Murray, "
2655112, Comedy. Lebron beat a 73-win team, down 3-1.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue May-08-18 12:52 PM

And yet he sweeps a team lead by Demar Derozan and
all of a sudden the COACH is the problem?

LOL
2655197, i mean he may not be the problem but there certainly IS a problem
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Tue May-08-18 04:51 PM
2655432, I mean, I'd take Giannis/Middleton over Derozan/Lowry.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Wed May-09-18 09:30 PM

Casey maxed out the talent on that team. They aren't
very good.

(C)Keith Murray, "
2655148, P.S. theyre considering replacing him lol.
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Tue May-08-18 02:11 PM
2655154, RE: P.S. theyre considering replacing him lol.
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Tue May-08-18 02:22 PM
0-8 straight against Cleveland?

0-4 to this year's Cavs? Going down without a fight too?

Yeah, best for all parties to go their separate ways.

No way that this core group and that coach get over the hump now

2655189, actually 0-10 straight vs the cavs in the playoffs
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue May-08-18 04:07 PM
2655170, Of course they are
Posted by bshelly, Tue May-08-18 02:54 PM
Two untradeable contracts or a black head coach? It’s easy to find the scapegoat.
2655173, care to delve into the sociology of the Black guy firing him?
Posted by cgonz00cc, Tue May-08-18 02:59 PM
2655196, cmon man. i don't think he should be fired but ...
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Tue May-08-18 04:50 PM
you were just roasting brown down 0-3 to boston with a bunch of dumbass kids who couldn't tell a basketball from a baby wipe in crunch time.

now you're tryna say casey's seat shouldn't be hot after that pathetic ass series, which resembled the last pathetic ass series they played against cleveland as well?

and i mean let's face it, changing the coach IS easier than changing the players. i don't know, to me toronto is not that great of a team but the GM has done a pretty good job filling out the roster and obviously they were good enough to win a lot of games. no way to spin this as less than a disappointment, but it would be very NHL-esque for a guy to be COY winner and then get fired.
2655174, Hopefully very fast so the Bucks can take a shot
Posted by Deebot, Tue May-08-18 02:59 PM
2655292, casey voted COTY by his peers.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Wed May-09-18 11:01 AM
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/05/09/sports/nba-dwane-casey-raptors-coach-of-the-year.html

By Marc Stein

May 9, 2018
Dwane Casey of the Toronto Raptors has been selected as the National Basketball Coaches Association’s coach of the year for the 2017-18 season, according to two people with knowledge of the voting.

Casey will be formally announced as the winner of the N.B.C.A. trophy — which is named in honor of the association’s longtime executive director, Michael H. Goldberg — later Wednesday, according to the people, who were not authorized to speak publicly about the results.

The N.B.C.A. introduced its own Coach of the Year Award last season, based on a vote of the league’s 30 head coaches. The award is separate from the N.B.A.’s Coach of the Year Award, which is voted on by members of the news media.

The Raptors were eliminated from the N.B.A. playoffs on Monday, when the Cleveland Cavaliers completed a humbling 4-0 sweep in the Eastern Conference semifinals, but only after Casey led Toronto to a franchise-record 59 wins and the best record in the Eastern Conference. Casey won plaudits throughout the season for overseeing a dramatic change in the Raptors’ playing style, which emphasized a faster pace, more passing and a greater reliance on 3-point shooting.

Casey is also regarded as a top contender for the N.B.A.’s Coach of the Year Award and, according to the people with knowledge of the voting for the N.B.C.A. award, was one of just eight coaches to receive votes in the balloting. The other seven coaches to receive votes from their peers were Philadelphia’s Brett Brown, Houston’s Mike D’Antoni, Indiana’s Nate McMillan, San Antonio’s Gregg Popovich, Utah’s Quin Snyder, Portland’s Terry Stotts and the Los Angeles Clippers’ Doc Rivers.

Casey will receive N.B.C.A.’s award in September at its annual meeting of head coaches. The co-recipients of the inaugural award last season were D’Antoni and Miami’s Erik Spoelstra.

The N.B.A. will announce the winner of its Red Auerbach Trophy for Coach of the Year Award as part of its second annual live N.B.A. awards show on June 25 in Los Angeles.
2655294, ctrl+f "stephens"
Posted by bshelly, Wed May-09-18 11:08 AM
2655296, by his PEERS. So ACTUAL COACHES know more than Twitter does?
Posted by Orbit_Established, Wed May-09-18 11:12 AM

Oh.

(C)Keith Murray, "
2655304, Sun Basket sent us this bomb chipotle tempeh thing
Posted by bshelly, Wed May-09-18 11:25 AM
Beans, onions, red peppers too. Leftovers heated up lovely for lunch just now.
2655431, "us." o word? when u get married?
Posted by Orbit_Established, Wed May-09-18 09:28 PM

(C)Keith Murray, "
2655749, Just FYI you realize last year those peers awarded D'Antoni and Spo
Posted by theeraser, Thu May-10-18 02:09 PM
2655310, Oddly enough, this could be a kiss of death.
Posted by Numba_33, Wed May-09-18 11:36 AM
I'm not suggesting he'll get canned this off-season, but past Coach Of The Year winners have gotten canned in the subsequent seasons, so this could be a bad thing dude going into the next season, especially if the Raptors start off slowly for whatever reason.
2655520, That's the NBA''s COY award
Posted by Cenario, Thu May-10-18 05:57 AM
2655423, Oh word?? Casey was the Mavs defensive coach that beat Lebron???
Posted by Orbit_Established, Wed May-09-18 08:40 PM

In fact, Lebron openly credited Casey with being
the person who made him improve his game?!?!?

Oh, okay

(C)Keith Murray, "
2655926, I'm done with the NBA. I can't stand for this fuckery, sorry.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Fri May-11-18 10:38 AM

It's too egregious.

I expect them to hire a black coach, but I can't
take this.

(C)Keith Murray, "