Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectMan, this season has been pretty good...and frustrating
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2632251&mesg_id=2650046
2650046, Man, this season has been pretty good...and frustrating
Posted by auragin_boi, Tue Apr-10-18 10:14 AM
I liked that our young guys got burn and our trade assets from the Jimmy deal have been great. I hated that we had too much success so early and then a blip at the end of the season (Lost 7 straight then won 3 in a row...we lose out the season and we had a stronger shot at a top 3-5 pick).

This team, fully healthy from go, probably could have won 38-43 games...which puts us on the cusp of a playoff spot. I like that we have good assets and might be a piece or two away from making serious noise. Right now, we're looking at #6 or #7 pick if things stay standard. Lose to the pistons tonight and hope that Houston rests it's key players for the 'offs since they've locked up the #1 seed and the Kings get the W. Kings swept us this year so they get the tie breaker and we'd have the 6th worse record based on that, setting us up for a top 6 pick. Would suck to get leapfrogged and would be awesome to land top 3 being so close.

At worst, we get #10. So top 10 prospects?

1) DeAndre Ayton - C
2) Luka Doncic - GF
3) Jaren Jackson Jr - FC
4) Mohamed Bamba - C
5) Marvin Bagley - PF
6) Michael Porter Jr - SF
7) Wendell Carter Jr - FC
8) Trae Young - PG
9) Mikal Bridges - SF
10)Miles Bridges - SF
11)Kevin Knox - SF
13)Collin Sexton - PG
14)Robert Williams - FC
15)Shai Gilgeous-Alexander - PG

I think our biggest needs are SF and C. Defense is something we need to improve as well. We were 24th in scoring and 27th in defense (ppg). Based on these needs, where we will land if everything goes according to record, Wendell Carter Jr is probably the best pick for us. Effective on O, good rebounder, decent/good defender (2.1 bpg in college). I would not be mad at this.

I've even come around on Bagley as an option. He'd be a small ball C though. But my order of preference is this:

1) Ayton - Could be a transformative piece. I'm not 100% sold on Ayton but the possibility is too good to pass on.
2) Bagley - As a small ball C he's perfect. Even showed some shooting range as the season went on but that will be a work in progress. Has some defensive instincts I like as well.
3) Doncic - I still think he's a bit slow for his position but has some dog in him, mature offensive game as well. Could slot nicely between LaVine and Markrakannen
4) Porter Jr - Tons of upside for a 6'10" SF with his skillset. Back a concern given his injury this yr but I'm sure some of that will be vetted during predraft.
5) Carter Jr - Probably the most obvious choice at #6 as stated above for reasons stated above.
6) Young - the PG issue (him vs Dunn, do we have both, etc). His shooting will be fantastic in the L. He'll have other weapons around him to make him dangerous and our system is designed for a guy like him to shine. He'd need to develop leaps and bounds defensively though.
7) Jackson Jr - He kinda flamed out at seasons end. I'd still be thrilled to have him but I'm not AS excited about him as I was.

Get one of these guys and a few vets to deepen the bench/add to the guys we have, LaVine can workout, Lauri and Dunn can work to improve and I think we'd make a nice playoff run next yr.

How y'all feeling about the offseason?