Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectMy theory on it...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2630301&mesg_id=2636246
2636246, My theory on it...
Posted by Oak27, Thu Jan-04-18 07:39 PM
This was undoubtedly a spike in eyes on the product, in a way this is NJPW making a first impression/debut to a lot of eyes internationally. Okada, even as the longest reigning champion and the guy who had held the title for the most commutative days in company history, is still the future. He's only 30. He just became the ace 2 years ago and has a lot of prime years left. He's the guy you want to cement to the new fans as THE guy. Naito is hot right now, hotter than anyone in the company, but Okada is still their best performer and they have a lot invested.

The story this year was Naito finally getting his main event, the opportunity that he earned but was unfairly taken away from him 4 years ago. The next time will be all about finally beating Okada at WK, similar to the Okada/Tanahashi arc from WK7 to WK10. My guess is Naito defeats Okada at Dominion for the title, Okada wins the G1, and Naito finally beats him on the big stage, successfully defending the title in the process.

NJPW has a great conundrum right now. They have 3 guys who are super over and unbelievably talented. Seriously, in-ring talent wise, name a better top 3 in a company at any given time than Okada/Omega/Naito. Unfortunately they all can't wear the belt at the same time, but I think Naito is next while they use Kenny to build their US operation.