Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectKang & Ky as relaxed as could be while sports pundits foam at mouf
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2626346
2626346, Kang & Ky as relaxed as could be while sports pundits foam at mouf
Posted by Vex_id, Wed Oct-18-17 11:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQaShJHyMdw

This is why Lebron is in a different category from so many other great players. While pundits are plastered to their flat screens hoping for drama - dying for Bron to go fake-thug Kevin Garnett and mean mug Ky the Kid Legend after he misses that shot - Bron simply daps up Ky w/ their patented hand-shake as if they were still brothers - because well, they are.

"It's bigger than basketball" translated into "it's bigger than these lame owners and franchises" -- into a movement in the NBA where the players seize their labor/union rights and take their careers into their own hands.

Kang fathered the movement and is legitimately ok with Kyrie leaving if this is what he wants - and his gracious dap/embrace after last night's game is something that only he is capable of doing out of good-will and a mindset that values humanitarianism over a sport. All of the old world so called "Alphas" were simply incapable of this kind of gesture - and that is why they and you are mildly-to-seething upset.

Hey guys - hope you're well.

-->
2626352, LeBron has definitely matured a lot since his first Cavs stint
Posted by theeraser, Wed Oct-18-17 12:01 PM
2626354, it was pretty cool seeing them all show love at the end of that game...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Oct-18-17 12:15 PM
seemed genuine.
2626356, RE: Kang & Ky as relaxed as could be while sports pundits foam at mouf
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Wed Oct-18-17 12:46 PM
God forbid anyone in sports should be hoping for drama.

Lord knows there is zero drama around who is going to be in the Finals.

I mean…this is still sports, it's still competition, it's still entertainment. I don't need LeBron and Kyrie to pretend to have beef if they don't, and actually am applaud them for not forcing a non-existent narrative, but drama is a big reason why people watch sports or seek entertainment at all.

Also…it's the first game of the season. Let's see how this all plays out…but whether you root for the laundry or the players, don't we all enjoy taking sides? Heroes and villains? Us vs them?

Maybe it's just me but a quick scan of OKS thread titles suggests otherwise.

2626370, Does he still dap him if that shot goes down? #Askingforafrienemy
Posted by jigga, Wed Oct-18-17 01:58 PM
2626375, lol
Posted by Cenario, Wed Oct-18-17 02:13 PM
2626409, right lol
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Oct-18-17 03:48 PM
2626414, nah they go strap up for 5 more mins.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Oct-18-17 04:11 PM
2626408, lebron i still petty as fuck for consistently referring to Kyrie as "the kid"...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Oct-18-17 03:48 PM
in interviews.

Kryie did the specialized handshake thing with all of his old teammates and I thought it was gay af I want him to be at war with them dudes lol
2626413, I still didn't like it....maybe it's just me
Posted by murderbear, Wed Oct-18-17 04:07 PM
All of that referring to him as "kid" in preseason seemed like a conscious effort to son him.

Granted, I'm sure the hug was genuine, but peep the body language.

They dap, bring it in for a hug, Bron pats his head...no issue with that, especially since Kyrie gives him the same gesture....equality, right?

Nah. I don't even know if Bron consciously does it. I'll fully admit that I may be reaching like a mug. But to me, when Bron reaches at him again as he's walking away to pat his head, it feels like some "I'm getting the last word" shit, you ARE my son type shit.

I felt that shit as soon as I saw it, and it was magnified when I saw all the other Cavs dap him, hug him, tap his head, it was on some even trade shit. Everybody but Bron.

OK, flame me now, idc

2626453, good observations. I actually think this topic runs deep w/ Bron
Posted by Vex_id, Wed Oct-18-17 06:39 PM
and I think you'd probably have to delve deep into Bron's consciousness and really understand the depth of his experiences as a fatherless child. In my eyes - his favorite thing in the world is fatherhood/brotherhood/family - not basketball. Basketball is what he was born to do - but family is where his true passion derives - so I think he did see himself as a father figure to kyrie in many ways - and some of that may be overly paternalistic as kyrie is a grown man and not in need of fathering (in fact - kyrie has a strong/loyal father in his life - something lebron never had) - but Bron seems to process basketball as a larger family he belongs to - which I think is wholly unique and under-regarded dynamic to his personality.

Still - there def was some gamesmanship when he referred to kyrie as "the kid" - but to be fair - he referred to him as "the kid" many times during their tenure in Cleveland. That said - I do agree that Kyrie got tired of playing lil' bro/son to Bron's Father - and I think Bron's body language at the end of last year was not helpful as he did show up teammates too often on the court (every recalls the TT episode). Bron's not a perfect leader - but at the end of the day - I think Kyrie will regret that he dipped out as soon as he did - because the positives and advantages to playing w/ Bron far outweigh the negatives - just ask D. Wade - who couldn't wait to get back into that PB&J sandwich.

-->
2626456, Good points here.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Oct-18-17 06:56 PM
2626599, Wade had already been the best player on a champion though
Posted by theeraser, Thu Oct-19-17 01:00 PM
Kyrie wants to prove he's on that level
2626610, Ky had already proved a lot - but I get it
Posted by Vex_id, Thu Oct-19-17 03:07 PM
I don't blame him for wanting to be the man on a team - I just think he made his decision prematurely. He's what - 25? He should've waited another year or two and vied for another title playing alongside the second best player to ever play - and then at 26/27 get on his next journey if he wanted to.

I don't think this year will end up well for him but we'll see.

-->
2626968, Meh I think this year might be good for him still.
Posted by B.J.S.301, Sun Oct-22-17 11:11 AM
He still needs time to adjust to his new role. One year later doesn't really change much in terms of his growth. He might have started to resent Bron more if he stayed around. I think he knew mentally that he had enough of that role. Its a good role nonetheless and I think he is still very appreciative of Bron, but sometimes people have to find their own greatness and that is what he did. Personally, I don't see him coming back.
2626563, we hyperanalyzing the quality of an embrace now...
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Oct-19-17 09:21 AM
2626564, lol right...ky and frye held hands for .6 seconds longer.
Posted by Cenario, Thu Oct-19-17 09:24 AM
2626489, you falling for that?
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Oct-18-17 08:46 PM
they put on a nice display for the camera but "seemed genuine?" not so sure. clearly some fuck you, fuck you, too action here. cannot wait for a playoff meeting.
2626560, yea they were both prob gritting their teeth/biting their tongue ..
Posted by guru0509, Thu Oct-19-17 09:18 AM
...during that weird post game dap/head touch thing lol

unfortunate that the heyward injury took all the excitement over what would have been a better game
2626562, I don't think it was forced or for the cameras at all.
Posted by Vex_id, Thu Oct-19-17 09:21 AM
it wasn't the warmest of daps - but it was genuinely respectful.

Think about this: Kyrie was traded to Cleveland's long-time rival within the same conference. To trade Kyrie to Boston meant Bron had to cosign the trade to *Boston* - a team Bron has the most history with as a rival than any other team in the league. To me this means that Bron was in full support of Kyrie's desire to control his destiny (just as Bron did) - even if it meant him going to his arch rival in the East. I think there is some beef simmering for sure in the vein of competitiveness - but I also think deep down both guys will always respect their 3 years together -- and when it's all said and done - that Cleveland run to a championship to overthrow GS in historic fashion will be the highest moment of their careers - and they shared it together. Their beef will subside and respect will predominate their relationship at the end of the day.

That said - I do think Kyrie will regret leaving so soon. He should have waited another year or two. There was no need for him to rush out like he did.

-->
2626593, Lotta deep analysis in this thread...
Posted by wallysmith, Thu Oct-19-17 11:48 AM
yet not a single mention for what happened at the start of it?

Emotions running high going into the game that got punctuated by Hayward's unfortunate injury. That embrace between the two may mostly be relief that the game is over.
2626612, I saw a touch of one upmanship
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Thu Oct-19-17 03:43 PM
They dap, they hug, Bron sons him with the pats on his head, Kyrie decides to pat Bron's head on some "Oh yeah, 2 can play this game! We're equals now!" and Bron sons him one last time like "Get outta here... I'm still your daddy".

I mean, Bron's 5 inches taller. Kyrie patting him on the head was awkward as hell.
2626855, Ky calmly interacts with fan:
Posted by Castro, Sat Oct-21-17 12:09 PM

https://sports.yahoo.com/kyrie-irving-tells-fan-apos-164442379.html

Kyrie Irving stole the offseason when he demanded a trade from the Cavs, essentially saying he wanted to step out of the shadow of LeBron James. So, naturally, fans are going to be on him all season long about it, and it apparently happened Friday night after Boston's win over the 76ers.

A Philadelphia account tweeted a video of a fan heckling Irving, asking, "Where's LeBron?" Irving responded by saying, "Suck my d—."

MORE: Kyrie Irving wants his own team, but No. 1 status comes with no excuses

While the video has been shared among NBA fans to laugh at Irving's response, the fact that it was captured will likely lead to the point guard cashing a check to the league. Isaiah Thomas was fined $25,000 in May for what the league described as, "directing inappropriate language toward a fan."

Irving's response surely falls in that category.

Patrick Beverley was also fined the same amount for an interaction with a fan last season as a member of the Rocekts.
2626906, damn, bruh this mad 2nd game in...off that heckle?
Posted by Dstl1, Sat Oct-21-17 06:42 PM
2626969, Suck my d— should be his response anytime somebody mentions Bron
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Sun Oct-22-17 11:18 AM
2643121, Kang helps Ky up - because brotherhood is bigger than basketball
Posted by Vex_id, Mon Feb-12-18 11:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ax8It4Lc2o

Old World heads are furious as they re-pin their life-size poster of Bill Laimbeer in their basements.

-->
2643129, lmao what a patronizing asshole
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Feb-12-18 11:52 AM
kind of endearing actually
2643133, lol@Rondo's facial expression
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Feb-12-18 11:58 AM
2643403, lol just saw that. Salty as he was in '11
Posted by Vex_id, Tue Feb-13-18 07:56 PM

-->
2643997, Young Ky the God and Kang reunite at all-star game
Posted by Vex_id, Mon Feb-19-18 11:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--FJuK4RVJY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQbXA1KyQ6Y

-->
2644002, Lebron is the best sports ambassador, maybe ever.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Feb-19-18 12:01 PM

In one year:

1) He lost to Steph and KD

- defended Steph vs. Trump (one of the great political
statements of our time, actually...dude shat directly
on Trump...not how Trump aint fire bac)

- AND Managed to get KD get political in a real way for the
first time

Imagine Jordan sticking up for anyone? LOL

2) Lost Kyrie, managed to not lose a step in any of their
friendship

It's unreal how Lebron manages to be such a good ambassador,
stick up for his fellow athletes, and still be the best

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
2644016, He has a wholly signature approach to the game/life/social issues
Posted by Vex_id, Mon Feb-19-18 02:43 PM
that is truly transcendent and inspiring. It was abundantly clear this weekend who the leader of the League is - and who is the most outspoken, exemplary figure in sports: It's LeBron. He does not shy away from the seminal social issues of our time - and he speaks honest; from the heart -- and despite what the fervent racists on the right have to say (re: 'shut up and dribble') - his intellectual faculties are immense and perhaps more importantly - his ability to connect to human beings and prioritize what's important in life: family, social cohesion, progress - and a mentality that says "some things in life are bigger than sports" is something so badly needed in American Pro Sports - and there's no better conduit to deliver that message that LeBron James.

-->
2644055, biggest knock on MJ was how scared he was to speak on social issues
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Feb-20-18 07:42 AM
Bron is built for this.
2644034, everyone has to admit this was badass
Posted by pretentious username, Mon Feb-19-18 07:18 PM

>- defended Steph vs. Trump (one of the great political
>statements of our time, actually...dude shat directly
>on Trump...not how Trump aint fire bac)

I liked this even better actually:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2719349-lebron-james-says-stephen-curry-deserves-400m-contract-questions-salary-cap