Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectSmh at nba players getting upset at espn player rankings
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2622592
2622592, Smh at nba players getting upset at espn player rankings
Posted by Cenario, Wed Sep-13-17 08:21 AM
That's almost as dumb as getting mad at video game rankings .

I guess I can see a young Dude being upset like "I have to prove myself now" but an old vet? Cmon son do better. Matter fact, be better.

I'm talking bout you Melo.
2622594, Carmelo has been sensitive about that stuff before.
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Sep-13-17 08:28 AM
>That's almost as dumb as getting mad at video game rankings
>.
>
>I guess I can see a young Dude being upset like "I have to
>prove myself now" but an old vet? Cmon son do better. Matter
>fact, be better.
>
>I'm talking bout you Melo.

I remember him getting upset about an article or maybe even an online post Bomani Jones wrote about him years ago and Carmelo Anthony sending a tweet at him about it. I think this might have been even before Bomani started to work for ESPN, so Bomani wasn't even as visible as he is now at the time of Carmelo's online umbrage.
2622595, its goofy..them getting upset and mentioning it just brings attention to the
Posted by Cenario, Wed Sep-13-17 08:47 AM
rankings and makes them more likely to put up bs rankings in the future.

If you think its goofy, use it as #mentalnotes and keep it moving.
2622596, I just looked at it and that shit really is a joke though and its obvious...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Sep-13-17 08:56 AM
that somebody at ESPN has an axe to grind with Carmelo lol
2622598, its not about having an axe, its about a player in a huge market that's
Posted by Cenario, Wed Sep-13-17 09:13 AM
gonna generate alot of clicks and conversation. People either love or hate Melo.

And honestly at this point of his career, i don't even think 65 or whatever is thaaaat egregious lol. i'd have to see the other 64 names but its basically saying that there are 2 better players on each nba team. Thats not that crazy depending on how you judge potential ie someone might argue that philly got 3 dudes that'll be better than melo this season.
2622601, But they basically rank him there because he's not a multidimensional player
Posted by MEAT, Wed Sep-13-17 09:27 AM
They label him a volume scorer who has a high number of successful shots when the shot clock is low. And they say in a changing league that he needs to be more.
My contention is there's only so many Lebrons, Georges, Durants, and Butlers in this world and for him to still be an elite scorer still and them not recognizing the value of scoring is silly.
2622607, Is he still an elite scorer though?
Posted by Cenario, Wed Sep-13-17 09:45 AM
i'm not sure he is.
2622611, dude go look at the list...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Sep-13-17 10:11 AM
>gonna generate alot of clicks and conversation. People either
>love or hate Melo.
>
>And honestly at this point of his career, i don't even think
>65 or whatever is thaaaat egregious lol. i'd have to see the
>other 64 names but its basically saying that there are 2
>better players on each nba team. Thats not that crazy
>depending on how you judge potential ie someone might argue
>that philly got 3 dudes that'll be better than melo this
>season.
2622612, i'm not that interested to lol. But i know that people were complaining
Posted by Cenario, Wed Sep-13-17 10:19 AM
that lonzo was ahead of him. I don't get it. I'd rather have lonzo this season than melo personally.
2622615, RE: i'm not that interested to lol. But i know that people were complaining
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Sep-13-17 10:36 AM
>that lonzo was ahead of him. I don't get it. I'd rather have
>lonzo this season than melo personally.

Oh wow, sounds like you dislike Carmelo Anthony more than me. I personally wish they would trade him for some young assets (multiple assets being key here) at this point since it's crystal clear the Knicks aren't winning anything anytime soon and should build for the future, but I dunno if I would rate Lonzo Ball ahead of him right now.
2622619, its all about how you view potential vs a known diminishing commodity
Posted by Cenario, Wed Sep-13-17 10:47 AM
i've watched too many recent melo games of him struggling to drop 25 while some regular sf on the other squad puts up 20 on 12 shots.

And his 3pt shooting has regressed the last few years as well. He's not transitioning into his old man game as well as i'd thought he would.

And if you were to switch melo and Lonzo for this season i think the knicks have a better squad.
2622623, Well
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Sep-13-17 11:02 AM
the one thing I agree with you on is that Carmelo should try to spin his negative feelings on this ranking into something positive and use it as motivation for this season. I honestly don't see how well that'll work since I'm guessing the Knicks will want to move away from him being a focal point in offense and let the younger players cook, but I suppose that's what Horacek gets paid the big bucks to figure out.
2622621, dude they got people like Danny Green ahead of Melo c'mon lol...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Sep-13-17 10:53 AM
2622624, i saw on the nba reddit his advanced stats were about as good as wiggins
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Sep-13-17 11:05 AM
who was 57.

now obviously espn trolling to some degree. but they aren't far off IMO.
2622625, right
Posted by Cenario, Wed Sep-13-17 11:08 AM
>now obviously espn trolling to some degree. but they aren't far off IMO.

I mean once you get beyond the top players its a crap shoot within the tiers of players depending on what you value, scoring, all around offensive play, 2 way players etc....

so if someone ranked melo 30th i could see that...if they ranked him 50th or something i can see that too. 65 or whatver is trolling but it ain't completely egregious.
2622627, It's probably because they ranked him low & placed Lonzo...
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Wed Sep-13-17 11:14 AM
above him. And promoted their rankings based on that fact.
2622648, advanced stats say that Tyson Chandler and Joakim Noah are good offensive playerd
Posted by DJR, Wed Sep-13-17 01:44 PM
They're just a tool, but flawed.
2622603, It's a blatant troll job. He has the right to be mad.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Wed Sep-13-17 09:32 AM
People take turns shitting on dude. Even his own team.

Fuck that. Be mad. It's natural.
2622604, melo a hit dog lmao
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Sep-13-17 09:36 AM
2622605, Letting dumb shit slide doesn't work for everybody. Speak on it Melo.
Posted by Beezo, Wed Sep-13-17 09:37 AM
2622609, He legit tweeted REAL TIME during SportsNation...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Sep-13-17 10:08 AM
while they were talking about the list. Marcellus was saying how disrespectful it was that Melo was ranked that way and he said his grandmother always said "can't make sense out of non-sense." Melo tweeted like 5 minutes later and referenced the quote.
2622610, lol
Posted by Cenario, Wed Sep-13-17 10:09 AM
2622616, It almost seems as if
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Sep-13-17 10:37 AM
ESPN is playing Good Cop/Bad Cop to get Carmelo Anthony to post on social media and kick up more interest for this list.
2622626, it's low. but not egregiously so.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Wed Sep-13-17 11:13 AM
not sure what folx think melo is at this point in his career. it's really not hard to name 40 or 50 guys i'd rather have.
2622634, They have him below Danny Green.
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Sep-13-17 12:15 PM
2622635, yeah, that's retarded. he ain't 65.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Wed Sep-13-17 12:21 PM
like i said tho, 40-50 is about right.
2622632, ANYWAY...Sam Bradford bout to be a top 5 QB and y'all ain't ignoring it
Posted by Basaglia, Wed Sep-13-17 12:02 PM

as much as y'all be poplocking and body rocking and beat boxing when i take an L? nah...y'all gon hear about Sam.
2622636, TJ Watt gonna put dude on IR next Sunday fam
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Sep-13-17 12:37 PM
2622642, lol...yep...I got a bunch of old posts in the crock pot, too
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Sep-13-17 01:23 PM
2622637, smh at getting mad at NBA players for getting mad
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Sep-13-17 12:39 PM
shit is just jokes and clicks bruh...

Peter King used to do this shit all the time. They know they will get attention if they fuck with the list.

Melo was prolly contacted by ESPN.

2622638, huh why would melo care if espn got clicks at his expense?
Posted by Cenario, Wed Sep-13-17 12:46 PM
c'mon.

and whose mad, i'm shaking my head at him and telling him to do better. My days of defending this dude been over.

I want him to get traded, adjust his game and do better!

lol
2622639, I'm saying Melo doesn't really care...
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Sep-13-17 12:57 PM
and was prolly contacted by ESPN about the list prior to them doing the show.

2622645, and i'm saying that makes no sense.
Posted by Cenario, Wed Sep-13-17 01:34 PM
if he don't care why he posting like he do?
2622650, cause it literally takes 20 seconds to post some shit
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Sep-13-17 01:50 PM

2622652, so you have no basis for your claims.
Posted by Cenario, Wed Sep-13-17 01:52 PM
noted.
2622695, he ain't marching on Bristol fam..
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Sep-14-17 08:38 AM
2622697, yeah melo posts about a bunch of things he doesn't care about.
Posted by Cenario, Thu Sep-14-17 08:43 AM
like lala.

makes perfect sense.
2622737, damn
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Sep-14-17 02:37 PM
2622673, It's blatant trolling.....you can either ignore it or call it out
Posted by DJR, Wed Sep-13-17 05:49 PM
Neither approach is wrong, IMO.

I think ESPN pulling some blatant trolling for clicks is a bad look. Lessens their credibility.
2622684, Which is why it's foolish to respond
Posted by Cenario, Thu Sep-14-17 06:08 AM
You know they trolling looking for clicks. So why help them get more clicks?
2622689, credibility dont matter in 2017
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Sep-14-17 08:24 AM
2622693, people should have realized years ago that espn ain't a credible source
Posted by Cenario, Thu Sep-14-17 08:36 AM
for opinions. I mean between Stephen A, Broussard and Skip....smh.

Just give me the facts please.
2622744, RE: people should have realized years ago that espn ain't a credible source
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Sep-14-17 03:36 PM
>for opinions. I mean between Stephen A, Broussard and
>Skip....smh.
>
>Just give me the facts please.

Two of those three work for Fox Sports now.
2622683, He's Right Though
Posted by RexLongfellow, Thu Sep-14-17 02:49 AM
It's crazy to me how people expect players in any league to brush off every single amount of BS that gets thrown their way. This is supposed to be ESPN, and they say Robert Covington is better? That Lonzo Ball, who hasn't played a game is better?

Melo shot a tweet out and that was it. He didn't go on a press tour. Perfectly reasonable to address the nonsense (which other players AGREED with him).

ESPN was on that BS and Melo responded. There are not 30 players in the league better than him, even at THIS point of his career.
2622696, you're right, its espn
Posted by Cenario, Thu Sep-14-17 08:42 AM
They about that entertainment.

The reaction they got from Melo, CJ et al is exactly what they wanted. It gave them more attention and encourages them to continue with the BS rankings. (if you really think they BS)

i can understand responding in the moment bc something was brought to your attention. But posting about it??? My man had time to think about it and responded, in essence making the list a topic for convo.

I understand that's the twitter/gram era we live in tho.

But ESPN does this every year and players respond every year, not realizing they promoting it.
2622732, So they're giving the top 10 tomorrow
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Sep-14-17 02:08 PM
By process of elimination, it seems like the 10 is going to be (who knows what order):

LeBron
Westbrook
James Harden
Kawhi
Anthony Davis
Curry
KD
Draymond
Chris Paul
?

Putting CP3 in the top 10 in 2017 seems a little weird, especially as he's probably very close to hitting the down slope of his career. Unless they think Harden is going to re-energize him.

I have no idea who I'm forgetting that's going to be in the top 10. Seems like most of the people I thought would be there are in the 11-30 section.
2622733, Giannis is the 10th.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Sep-14-17 02:33 PM
2622735, Duh. Of course. I have no good reason for blanking on him
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Sep-14-17 02:35 PM
Still wouldn't put CP3 in the top 10.
2622738, Oh greek freak
Posted by Cenario, Thu Sep-14-17 02:38 PM
2622734, BTW, don't be remotely surprised when they don't put Bron at #1.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Sep-14-17 02:34 PM
Gonna generate way more clicks if Bron isn't at the top spot.
2622739, Lol exactly
Posted by Cenario, Thu Sep-14-17 02:40 PM
2622743, but will he be #2. or will they troll mega hard
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Sep-14-17 03:24 PM
and put him at 3 or 4
2623066, the tidbits in these "stats and info" blurbs are pretty good.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Mon Sep-18-17 01:09 PM
29. Marc Gasol
Gasol is King of the High Post, as he averaged over two more elbow touches per game than any other player, averaged more assists from the elbow than any other player and ranked third in points per game from the elbow behind only Anthony Davis and Carmelo Anthony.

27. Paul Millsap
There's a good chance we're underestimating Millsap, as he's ranked inside the top 15 in ESPN's real plus-minus each of the past three seasons.

26. Kevin Love
If/when the Minnesota version of Love returns this season, just remember that we told you so. The Cavaliers played 136 minutes last season in which Love was on the floor without both LeBron James and Kyrie Irving. In that time, Cleveland outscored opponents by 10.1 points per 100 possessions with Love averaging over 33 points and 15 rebounds per 36 minutes with a usage rate over 40.

25. Kyrie Irving
Close your eyes and imagine Irving dancing with the rock and then scoring on a step back or dazzling finish at the rim. He does it all the time and the stats would agree with the eye test that there might not be a better scorer off the bounce. During the regular season, Irving had the highest effective field goal percentage on shots following seven or more dribbles among the players to take five such attempts per game. During the NBA finals last season, Irving attempted 10 such shots per game, nearly twice as many as any other player, and converted at a more than respectable clip of 49 percent on 2-pointers and 39 percent on 3s.

24. Blake Griffin
Maybe it's because he has missed so many games or doesn't dunk the way he used to, but Griffin has reached the point where he might be grossly underrated. Griffin, LeBron James and Kevin Durant are the only forwards who have posted a player efficiency rating of at least 22 in each of the past six seasons.

23. Mike Conley
Since entering the NBA in 2007-08, he has the most career win shares among players who have not made an All-Star team and has ranked in the top 6 among point guards in real plus-minus in three of the past four seasons.

21. Kyle Lowry
If you're wondering why Lowry comes in 18 spots ahead of DeMar DeRozan, here's a clue: When DeRozan was on the floor without Lowry last season, the Raptors were outscored by 0.4 points per 100 possessions. When Lowry played without DeRozan, the Raptors outscored teams by 10.8 points per 100 possessions.

20. Gordon Hayward
Hayward ranked 26th in the NBA in scoring last season, which is nice, but it's probably not something that makes you think "he could absolutely be the No. 1 option on a title contender" -- until you realize he did it on fewer than 16 attempts per game for a team that played at the NBA's slowest pace. If he scored at the same rate but took the same number of shots that Kyrie Irving needed to average 25.2 points, Hayward would have come in at 27.3 PPG, which would have ranked in the top five in the NBA in 2016-17.

18. Damian Lillard
Lillard just keeps getting better and has now increased his scoring and PER in each of his five seasons. He's coming off the best shooting season of his career while also posting his lowest turnover percentage. Although Portland had the misfortune of running into Golden State's buzzsaw each of the past two postseasons, Lillard averaged 30 points in those series. The only player to average more points against the Warriors over the past two postseasons is LeBron James.

17. DeMarcus Cousins
The idea of having either Cousins or Anthony Davis on the floor at all times for the Pelicans might be enticing on paper, even if it didn't work last season. When Cousins was on the floor without Davis, the Pelicans were outscored by 12.6 points per 100 possessions. Swap Davis for Cousins and the Pelicans outscored teams by 8.8 points per 100 possessions, a net swing of over 21 points. Though his talent is undeniable, Cousins still has not shown the ability to translate that talent into team success.

16. Nikola Jokic
Jokic posted a PER of 28.4 after Christmas last season, which ranked third behind 2016-17 MVP Russell Westbrook and All-NBA and all-defense selection Kawhi Leonard.

15. John Wall
Wall's struggles against Boston in the conference semifinals exposed somewhat of a limitation when it comes to executing in the half court. In fact, Wall ranked lower than every other player in our top 50 in points per play in the half court last season.

14. Rudy Gobert
Nobody protects the paint quite like Gobert, who contested a league-high 10.2 shots at the rim per game last season. Though Draymond Green won NBA Defensive Player of the Year, it was Gobert who led the league in defensive real plus-minus, finishing with the best mark by any player over the past three seasons.

11. Jimmy Butler
Butler is a late-game assassin as he posted a clutch-time PER of 44.5 last season, which ranked second in the NBA behind only Russell Westbrook. One of the game's best at drawing fouls, Butler sank 59 of 62 free throws in clutch situations last season. Butler should help cure some of Minnesota's late-game woes as the Wolves lost 12 games last season in which they led entering the fourth quarter. That was the most such losses by any team in the Western Conference.
2623076, The Kyrie stat is *so* ridiculous.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Sep-18-17 02:59 PM
I genuinely can't wrap my mind around how much better he is at that than anyone else.
2635649, melo's current rankings btw
Posted by dula dibiasi, Sat Dec-30-17 01:45 PM
among 283 qualified players:

64th in RPM Wins
74th in WS
110th in RPM
141st in PER
154th in WS/48
255th in BPM
274th in VORP

but yeah, 65 was an insult.

2635651, Yikes
Posted by Cenario, Sat Dec-30-17 02:26 PM
2635653, RPM....Covington-6, Dinwiddle-15, West-17, KD-22
Posted by DJR, Sat Dec-30-17 03:21 PM
Nah. I can’t fully buy into stats like that. They’re just a tool.

That said, I’d say Melo has performed about at that level. Part of that is he’s getting older and declining and part of that is fit/role and adjusting to it. It’s not easy to look good stat wise playing with Russ IMO. They’re starting to function better and Melo has shown signs of finding his niche lately. Let’s see what happens.
2635655, they're fine, as long as they're used properly and in context.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Sat Dec-30-17 04:01 PM
you still have to compare apples to apples. i.e. players with similar usage, positions, roles, etc.

i don't think anyone using those numbers to compare dinwiddie to durant, fam. lolz.
2635658, RE: RPM....Covington-6 O U MAD?
Posted by bshelly, Sat Dec-30-17 04:24 PM
2635660, Nah, he’s a nice player
Posted by DJR, Sat Dec-30-17 04:36 PM
Nothing special, but nice. Solid.
2635674, Lol that was the stat Melo was the highest lolol
Posted by Cenario, Sat Dec-30-17 06:30 PM
2635675, that was the only one I looked up to find the weird things
Posted by DJR, Sat Dec-30-17 06:33 PM
2635708, They aren’t meant to be standalone metrics
Posted by LA2Philly, Sun Dec-31-17 12:31 PM
They have to be used in appropriate context and are part of informing the full picture.