Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectA Few Thoughts
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2622498&mesg_id=2623030
2623030, A Few Thoughts
Posted by S_Ali, Mon Sep-18-17 09:42 AM
Historically, Canelo has had stamina issues and would not choose to fight the entire 3 minutes and this fight was no exception. Having said that, he was remarkably composed against the ropes, avoided any serious punches and countered effectively off the ropes.

He was clearly faster and the better boxer in the center of the round. When he decided to be more offensive in the center of the ring he was effective. Even when they exchanged I felt like Canelo was getting the better of it. He just didn't do this enough. He was actually backing GGG up at times.

GGG looked 35. Someone posed the question during the telecast is this what happens with the best guys fight each other or is GGG showing his age? The answer is clearly BOTH. We all know Canelo is an extremely talened fighter but he was making GGG look like Floyd fighting Robert Guerro at times. He was making him miss horribly.

I had GGG winning the fight. But again it was more about his work rate and him being the protagonist. I think Canelo landed the heavier shots and countered effectively all night. I feel like GGG fought the best fight he could while Canelo left some in the tank. I came away thinking Canelo is a better fighter although I would have given GGG the decision. If Canelo fought the middle rounds like he did the last 3, he could have won this fight decisively.