Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectbasically... can we talk about GGG vs. Canelo now?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2622498
2622498, basically... can we talk about GGG vs. Canelo now?
Posted by PG, Mon Sep-11-17 05:51 PM
something that will put that circus earlier this month even further to complete and utter shame imo...

I think TripleG takes it but I'm not as sure as I was before both their last fights.. G has shown some, not holes per say but perhaps some of his previous luster may be waning slightly and Canelo fought a tailor made style in Julio who anybody and their dog should've known had a snowballs chance in hell...

I'm seriously looking forward to this match.. I may even pay for it.

what do you think?
2622501, GGG might kill this man
Posted by snacks, Mon Sep-11-17 06:29 PM
7th rd TKO
2622504, that's a solid prediction
Posted by PG, Mon Sep-11-17 07:48 PM
I think Canelo might get a rnd or two deeper but at some point he, or his corner is gonna have to fold if the ref doesn't step in.. he just doesn't have the tools to avoid Gennady all night.. still it's gonna be worth the watch and we both have to admit there's a chance G come out flat and Canelo manages what would be the performance of his career.
2622506, Agreed
Posted by snacks, Mon Sep-11-17 08:27 PM
>I think Canelo might get a rnd or two deeper but at some
>point he, or his corner is gonna have to fold if the ref
>doesn't step in.. he just doesn't have the tools to avoid
>Gennady all night.. still it's gonna be worth the watch and we
>both have to admit there's a chance G come out flat and Canelo
>manages what would be the performance of his career.

When Canelo fought Cotto, I felt like there were several rounds where Cotto outboxed him, but just wasn't powerful enough to phase him. I could see a few of those happening w/ Canelo in this fight

But other than that, I do believe that GGG made himself "appear" to be vulnerable (to an extent) in previous fights in order to land this one, and therefore did not take training as seriously as he could've. I think he has taken training VERY seriously leading up to this fight
2622554, I'll add tho that if he lets it go to the judges
Posted by snacks, Tue Sep-12-17 02:56 PM
Canelo will win by decision
2622514, A year ago, I was sure of a GGG ko in the 7th or 8th
Posted by Hitokiri, Mon Sep-11-17 09:44 PM
after the Jacobs fight, I'm not so sure.
I've still got Golovkin winning, but I'm not as sure about how
2622520, same. still think he's the favorite
Posted by Kungset, Mon Sep-11-17 11:42 PM
but Canelo is skilled enough where outboxing GGG for 12 is a possibility
2622519, i hope we get a quick knockout
Posted by Reeq, Mon Sep-11-17 10:43 PM
that makes the mayweather/mcgregor fight look like the better event
just so de la hoya can stfu.
2622559, I agree @ Hoya stfu but otherwise GTFOOHWTBS...
Posted by PG, Tue Sep-12-17 05:00 PM
A quick knockout would not accomplish what you seek at all.. a quick knockout would be spectacular imo.

that said I was surprise Connor repped as well as he did.. there was no shame in his showing... but my expectations were real low and the stream I watched sucked nads so until I rewatch (and that's an if) take my opinion with a grain of salt.
2622567, Conor made MMA hands look mad suspect.
Posted by IkeMoses, Tue Sep-12-17 06:25 PM
He was throwing some goofy ass punches that had no power.

And he got walked down by a much smaller 40 year old.

That fight was only entertaining because Floyd just kept walking at the boy and head hunting.
2622573, true but who didn't expect him to get taken out much earlier
Posted by PG, Tue Sep-12-17 08:00 PM
not to mention the early connections... I mean I can see that Floyd might've carried him and even let him connect early just to back up the product they were selling... my stream died for the middle rounds though so I missed most of it and have no confidence in my assessment... so if you say so I'll take your word.
2622576, I don't think Floyd 'carried' him exactly
Posted by IkeMoses, Tue Sep-12-17 08:16 PM
He had been saying in the lead up to the fight that he intended to go straight ahead and get the knock out.

I didn't believe Mayweather when he said that, because that ain't his style. I legit expected Floyd to outbox him and take it to a decision. But he really just went head up.

The first three rounds he was clearly trying to figure Conor out and get the right range. So Floyd threw less than a dozen punches each round and let McGregor shoot his shoot.

After that it was one of the most disrespectful fights I've ever seen.

Floyd didn't box. Floyd barely even jabbed. Floyd didn't use none of his footwork or defense. He just walked foward and kept lunging with his right.

It was the most phoned in Mayweather performance I've seen.

But it was what the people wanted: an ugly fight where somebody gets beat up.
2622629, the people are fools, chumps, and suckers...
Posted by PG, Wed Sep-13-17 11:23 AM
the whole premise was a sad joke from the get go.

>It was the most phoned in Mayweather performance I've seen.
>
>But it was what the people wanted: an ugly fight where
>somebody gets beat up.
2622522, I always go with the better boxer, and that's Canelo
Posted by IkeMoses, Tue Sep-12-17 12:03 AM
Triple Gangsta is a problem, and I won't be surprised if he puts Cinnamon to sleep, but if Canelo takes this the distance I think he wins the decision.
2622526, 10th round TKO for GGG
Posted by bnicedh, Tue Sep-12-17 07:00 AM
I think early on Canelo will outbox but GGG size and power will wear him down. I think its going to be an amazing fight!
2622528, If this goes the distance, I think Canelo will win
Posted by auragin_boi, Tue Sep-12-17 07:57 AM
I think GGG's best chance is a KO or TKO before the 9th. I think Canelo is a good enough boxer to outbox GGG.

I share a little bit of everyone's concerns about GGG after the Jacobs fight.

Should be fun either way though. I'm in.
2622535, Canelo boxing vs GGG power
Posted by Musa, Tue Sep-12-17 09:08 AM
If Canelo can simply box him and back up GGG with power that makes him second thing coming forward he will win.

I don't think Canelo has that much power tho.

GGG by Decision.
2622575, I think honestly they're both there to be hit.
Posted by PG, Tue Sep-12-17 08:02 PM
and whatever boxing edge either has is small.. it'll be the power that carries the night imo.
2622759, Canelo has more movement than GGG and fighters slick
Posted by Musa, Thu Sep-14-17 10:46 PM
for a so called Mexican fighting style.

GGG shows no slickness but he puts pressure on fighters knows how to cut off ring.

2622543, Canelo's superior craft and technique will carry the day.
Posted by Vex_id, Tue Sep-12-17 10:37 AM
I also think people are underestimating his size/power in this fight. Canelo can crack - and he can also take it.
-->
2622577, at 160? he bloated & no one is eating punches from GGG like that
Posted by Kungset, Tue Sep-12-17 09:16 PM
2622837, Daniel Jacobs ate GGG punches, but it's true that no one else has.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sat Sep-16-17 03:15 AM
I'm not sure if Canelo has Jacobs' chin.
I'd guess that hes doesn't tho, so I'd
suggest he not get hit in the face the
way he did with Cotto.
2622546, GGG
Posted by S_Ali, Tue Sep-12-17 11:28 AM
Like a lot of people on this thread, I think Canelo is the better boxer. GGG just happens to be the best middleweight in boxing and this fight will be contested at middleweight. The fight will be more about pressure than power. Canelo tends to take breaks and does not fight the entire 3 minutes. He will will not have this option with GGG. This is the wrong guy to fight if you have stamina issues. I'm not discounting Canelo's power. Just understanding GGG has been walking through guys naturally bigger than Canelo for a while now. Sure Canelo could land something early but I see a brutal stoppage.
2622549, Canelo with the UD
Posted by bentagain, Tue Sep-12-17 01:58 PM
GGG didn't look impressive in his last fight to me

Canelo looks to still be improving

Canelo for the W.
2622556, Improving? How can you tell when he's fighting JCC Jr. and Amir Khan
Posted by Hitokiri, Tue Sep-12-17 03:29 PM
with Liam Smith in between?
His last impressive victory was against Cotto.
2622579, Okay, I'll say this then... I feel like he's entering his prime
Posted by bentagain, Tue Sep-12-17 10:13 PM
and has yet to reach his full potential

While still destroying his opponents recently

AK might still be laying on the floor of the T-Mobile arena

...and as you pointed out, GGG's performance vs Jacobs wasn't dominant

Maybe the GGG errybody's been ducking the last few years isn't the fighter we see on Sat

I'm questioning if he peaked, while Canelo is still ascending

= UD Canelo.
2622752, Who's GGG's signature W/toughest opponent?
Posted by bentagain, Thu Sep-14-17 04:48 PM
since the AKs and JCC Jrs of the world don't count?

GGG hasn't exactly gone through a list of who's who himself

in your opinion, what's his high water mark professionally?
2622805, I don't know about a signature win, toughest opponent was Jacobs
Posted by Hitokiri, Fri Sep-15-17 12:38 PM
definitely.
The thing is that it's well documented that GGG has had a lot of trouble getting people to fight him. Canelo, not so much. So his team has opted for these pathetic fights recently. GGG was trying to get him in the ring for years while he was out here talking about "hay que dejarnos de mamadas//we don't fuck around"
2622828, Tom 'Ato' Cann is GGG's signature win.
Posted by IkeMoses, Fri Sep-15-17 06:01 PM
2622835, lmao I'm mad I actually said to myself "who?"
Posted by PG, Sat Sep-16-17 02:31 AM
time to hit the hay obviously

I've missed you Ike.
2622844, LOL, yo no lie when I read it the first time
Posted by snacks, Sat Sep-16-17 11:11 AM
I glanced over the name and was like "oh, before my time I guess"
2622558, I'm a little surprised at so many nods to Canelo's boxing being superior
Posted by PG, Tue Sep-12-17 04:55 PM
he might have a slight boxing edge but imo not so much that I would expect Vex and Ike to be so convinced... I do feel GGG's been sandbagging some as of late because he's had trouble getting big fights... "IT'S A TRAP" ~ Admiral Ackbar... but hey I could be wrong it's true.. I also agree with Hit about Canelo's recent competition.

Bottom line though is that we are in for a great fight where the winner should leave with all the marbles and hopefully no doubt who won left in the mind of anybody.
2622568, I got Canelo winning by KO
Posted by las raises, Tue Sep-12-17 06:47 PM
2622574, I doubt it... but I could be wrong.
Posted by PG, Tue Sep-12-17 08:00 PM
wouldn't be the first time.
2622838, Helluva prediction with GGG having never been knocked down
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sat Sep-16-17 03:16 AM
2622584, Canelo by split decision
Posted by T Reynolds, Wed Sep-13-17 07:24 AM
I think it'll be a calculated war... both guys have huge power and so will not take chances in the early rounds, but Canelo will get the better of GGG in the most heated exchanges, unless GGG shocks me with a KO

I think Canelo has looked sharper and savvier than ever, and the trajectory both fighters have been on favors Canelo as the victor.

2622597, Interesting notes from their 2011 sparring session:
Posted by T Reynolds, Wed Sep-13-17 09:00 AM
https://www.ringtv.com/499961-gym-notes-classics-when-canelo-and-gennady-golovkin-sparred/

Editor’s note: Before you skip my wonderfully written introduction to this old Gym Notes column (originally published on RingTV.com in May 2011) to read the details of the sparring session I witnessed between Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin please keep three things in mind:

This was just ONE session of many that took place over a three-to-four week period, so other eye-witness accounts will obviously vary.
I didn’t write it for the fanatical followers of both fighters to use as fodder for their endless, mindless, often rude and vulgar arguments in social media and comments sections. This column (originally titled “Gym Notes: Alvarez, Golovkin worth driving up a mountain to see”) merely recounted my first live “look” at an underground “boogeyman” of the Southern California gym scene and the first time I watched Canelo train and spar.
The sparring session was NOT a big deal at the time the Gym Notes was published. Yeah, both fighters were unbeaten beltholders but Golovkin was still unknown (to an American audience) and Alvarez was still unproven. Nobody that bothered to comment under the original article said anything to the tune of “Wow! I can’t wait for these two to fight one day!”

So clear your minds of all the current media-hype momentum (and hardcore-fan baggage) that Canelo-Golovkin currently has.

This was written before Golovkin was “GGG.” This was before his September 2012 U.S. and HBO debut against Grzegorz Proksa, before the “Good Boy,” “Mexican Style,” and “Big Drama Show” catchphrases caught fire, before the sellouts at StubHub Center, The Forum, Madison Square Garden and O2 Arena in London, and long before Apple Watch and Jordan Brand knew who Golovkin was.

A boyish-looking, 20-year-old “pre-Canelo” Saul Alvarez is gloved up before a May 2011 sparring session with then-unknown Gennady Golovkin. Photo / Scott Kilbride

This was written when “Canelo” was still Saul Alvarez’s nickname. This was before his 21st birthday, before pay-per-view fights with future hall of famers Shane Mosley, Floyd Mayweather Jr., and Miguel Cotto, and before stadium crowds between 30,000-50,000 in Texas firmly established Alvarez as not only Mexico’s No. 1 star, but the top boxing attraction in North America.

Now that Canelo and GGG have established worldwide brands and their Sept. 16 showdown is viewed as the biggest event in boxing, it’s time to look back six years in order to really put into perspective how far both men have come.

(Special thanks to RingTV’s intrepid videographer Daniel Morales for helping me recover old video and photos taken by Scott Kilbride the day of this particular gym visit. And extra special thanks to Max Kellerman for mentioning my name in reference to this blog while interviewing Oscar De La Hoya on the May 9 episode of ESPN’s First Take. That name drop prompted boxing fans on Twitter to ask me about the article and the session, which got me off of my lazy ass to re-post it just as Abel Sanchez’s invitation got my lazy ass to drive up that mountain six years ago.)

Gym Notes: Alvarez, Golovkin worth driving up a mountain to see

As much as I detest the long and winding drive up to Big Bear Lake, Calif., I knew I would eventually return to the mountain resort town sometime this year.

I’d been hearing too many stories about Gennady Golovkin, the undefeated WBA middleweight beltholder coached by Abel Sanchez at the veteran trainer’s gym in Big Bear, to stay away.

When Sanchez told me last month that rising Mexican star Saul Alvarez would not only arrive to train at The Summit (his high-altitude training center) in May but also spar with Golovkin, I knew my time to return had come.

Golovkin sparring with a cruiserweight at The Summit gym in Big Bear, Calif., in 2012. Photo / Scott Kilbride

By sitting in on a sparring session between the two, I’d find out whether there’s any truth to the outlandish gym rumors I’d heard about Golovkin, a 28-year-old native of Kazakhstan who has been given the nickname “Superman” by California trainers that have witnessed his ring prowess, and I’d see how talented and tough the 20-year-old 154-pound beltholder really is.

I realize that sparring is not the same thing as an actual fight. However, given what I’d heard and read about Golovkin (20-0, 17 knockouts), a 2003 world amateur champ and 2004 Olympic silver medalist who defeated the likes of Lucian Bute (by KO), Andre Dirrell and Andy Lee in the unpaid ranks, I figured he could tell me more about Alvarez (36-0-1, 26 KOs) than the kid’s fights with faded-old Carlos Baldomir and naturally smaller recent opponents such as Jose Cotto, Lovemore Ndou and Matthew Hatton.

I was able to stave off my usual altitude sickness during the drive up to the remote San Bernardino mountain town with thoughts of all the hype I’ve heard about Golovkin in recent months. It began with a text message from Sam Garcia late last June.

“Perro is getting lit up in sparring by this Russian dude!” read the text message from Garcia, an assistant trainer for junior lightweight prospect Eloy Perez, who frequently trains in Big Bear.

“Perro,” of course, is Alfredo Angulo, the rugged junior middleweight contender who was preparing for his HBO-televised fight against Joachim Alcine last July when he locked horns with Golovkin at Sanchez’s gym.

Garcia later gave me a more-detailed account of the sparring session. Lightweight contender Urbano Antillon, who is trained by Sanchez, supported Garcia’s story.

Golovkin, who California gym rats referred to as “Superman” or “The Russian” in 2010 and 2011, was cordial in person but all business in the ring. Photo / Scott Kilbride

A few months later I got a phone call from the producer of a Spanish-language sports show, who swore that he witnessed Golovkin “embarrass” Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. at the Wild Card Boxing Club during an open workout held for Spanish-language media a few weeks before the unbeaten middleweight pulled out of a scheduled Dec. 4 card.

A Wild Card regular who spotted me at the Alvarez-Hatton fight in Anaheim, Calif., this past March whispered that he heard Golovkin give undefeated super middleweight prospect Peter Quillin all he could handle at Roach’s famous boxing club.

The producer and the gym rat didn’t want to go on record for fear of being banned from Wild Card, which is understandable (I guess), but Garcia, who watched Golovkin and Angulo spar in Big Bear, has no problem sharing his observations with his fellow boxing fans.

“Alfredo Angulo is a very strong, very competitive, prideful guy who has a great team behind him, but Golovkin is on another level,” said Garcia, who says he watched three sparring sessions between the two over the course of one week. “His strength, his demeanor, his skill, everything he did in there was just too much for Angulo, which surprised the hell out of me.

“I’ve seen Angulo spar many times before and he’s always the one doing the hurting. He’s so damn tough I’ve never seen him take a step back, let alone get hurt. I was expecting him to test this Golovkin guy that I’d never seen before, but ‘Superman’ was in there taking and giving, and he hurt Angulo a couple times, especially to the body. Angulo had to get on his bike against Golovkin, which was just bizarre to see.”

I didn’t know what to expect to see when I finally arrived to The Summit (along with RingTV.com videographer Daniel Morales and photographer Scott Kilbride), but I was ready to see it.

The sparring session: Work, not war

Before the session (which took place on a Wednesday, May 25) began, Sanchez told me not to expect a blood-and-guts shootout. Angulo, a big, strong, mature pressure fighter, forced Golovkin’s heavy hand, so to speak.

Abel Sanchez observes a sparring session at his gym, The Summit, in Big Bear, Calif.

In general, Sanchez discourages gym wars, which is why he’s always operated out of private gyms away from an “audience” that might spur on unnecessary displays of machismo in the ring.

“Think of this gym like a school,” he said. “It’s not a public gym with pride and egos on the line. This is about learning. We’re here to work and prepare for our upcoming fights.”

Golovkin defends his WBA belt against former 154-pound titleholder Kassim Ouma on June 17 in Panama City, Panama. Alvarez defends his WBC strap against Ryan Rhodes on June 18 in his native Guadalajara, Mexico.

On this day, they would spar six four-minute rounds (which is no walk in the park 6,000 feet/1,800 meters above sea level).

“We’re using ‘Canelo’ for his speed,” Sanchez said. “He’s using us for our size.”

That was fine by me. I was using both for a RingTV.com column.

Round one:

Brash young Alvarez found Golovkin, rumored to be a “hunter-killer” in sparring, to be more elusive than advertised. Photo / Scott Kilbride

Alvarez began the session sticking and moving effectively. The young redhead was on his toes when he maneuvered around the casually advancing Golovkin, but he planted his feet every time he let his hands go, including his stiff jab. However, Golovkin picked off most of Alvarez’s shots with his gloves as he quickly cut the ring off, occasionally switching stances as he stepped forward. The 2004 Olympian slipped a beautiful left uppercut through Alvarez’s guard to score the first significant punch midway through the round. Alvarez loaded up with a retaliatory hook that missed and spun him halfway around. Golovkin didn’t jab much, but he landed it whenever he let it go. Alvarez began to look for ways to counter his antagonist in the final minute and scored with a sweet right cross followed by a hook that shook Golovkin down to his shoes. The Kazakh just smiled at him, though. Unfazed, Alvarez stood his ground in the final 30 seconds and took a few hard body shots.

Round two:

Golovkin stalked a little faster while displaying decent head movement and a nice straight, crisp jab. Alvarez definitely felt the pressure as he gave ground without allowing his back to touch the ropes. He used fluid upper-body movement to evade Golovkin’s short power shots, which prompted co-trainer Jose “Chepo” Reynoso to yell “Bien, bien, muy bien!” from the corner. Alvarez landed a picture-perfect head-to-body hook combination mid-round. Golovkin fired back but the kid leaned away from the punches. Alvarez tried to counter Golovkin but couldn’t get through the older fighter’s guard. Still, the young man’s accuracy backed Golovkin off for the first time during the session. Alvarez followed Golovkin during the final minute but walked into a hard left hook that appeared to rock him with 10 seconds remaining. Alvarez didn’t return to his corner after the bell but instead tried to shake out and stretch his right leg, which immediately stiffened on impact of Golovkin’s hook.

Rounds three and four:

Golovkin’s jab dropped off over the second half of this sparring session with Alvarez, but when he fired it, he landed. Photo / Scott Kilbride

Alvarez abandoned his jab and his upper-body movement and took the fight to Golovkin with both hands. Golovkin welcomed the aggression, easily blocking Alvarez’s punches while landing most of his. Alvarez sucked it up and even walked forward while attempting to block as much heat as he could, but it was clear that he could not match Golovkin’s strength or power. Still, the budding young star got in an occasional power punch whenever he let his hands go in bunches. His hook-right combination found the mark but his technique was not as tight as it was at the start of the session and his face was turning beet red from Golovkin’s punches. The kid showed guts but he didn’t merit a single “bien” from Reynoso in the third round. He didn’t hear it until two and half minutes into the fourth round, when he let loose with a blazing five-punch combination. Golovkin dodged or parried most of the shots but Alvarez earned his respect for the round.

Round five:

A tired-looking Alvarez resumed his jab and lateral movement to buy himself a breather. His jab was especially effective when he shot-gunned it. Golovkin neglected his jab and looked to counter Alvarez’s left stick with single power punches (the hook in particular). Alvarez did more moving along the ring perimeter (his back now grazing the ropes) than punching, but he got off hard shots when he did let his hands go.

Round six:

Alvarez caught his second wind in the final round, bouncing on his toes with quick one-two combinations.

“Muy bien!” Reynoso yelled after Alvarez landed a right uppercut-right cross combination off the ropes. Golovkin grinned again and attacked Alvarez’s body as the kid tried to spin away. They both loaded up with single power punches during the final minute of the round. It was good stuff and definitely worth the trip. I wasn’t the only observer who appreciated the session.

“That was great,” said Antillon, who is slated to challenge WBA lightweight beltholder Brandon Rios in a can’t-miss barnburner on July 9. “Two undefeated champions going at it. You don’t see this often.”

Impressions: Sometimes the hype is real

The 24-minute sparring session reinforced some critical observations I (and many others) have regarding Alvarez’s style and technique, but I think I gained some insight into his ring temperament.

Canelo works a small heavy bag after his sparring session with Golovkin. Photo / Scott Kilbride

Alvarez is a versatile boxer who can stick and move or stalk and punch effectively. He’s comfortable in the ring (and under pressure), but if he’s hurt or feels that he’s being overwhelmed during a fight, I have the feeling he might just go for broke instead of trying to survive.

That’s probably not the safe or smart thing to do in the face of adversity, but it’s the kind of attitude that makes an attraction even more popular with his fans.

I don’t know if Rhodes will be the guy to do it, but somebody’s going to clip the kid good (better than Cotto did or Golovkin did in the second round of the sparring I witnessed). Alvarez keeps his gloves up most of the time but his hand placement allows for a sharp shooter to pierce the center with well-timed jabs and uppercuts or to come over and around the top with hooks.

Here’s a peak at some of the observations I jotted down in my notebook while watching Alvarez spar:

“Canelo doesn’t try to avoid confrontation.”

(Written during the second round.)

“He fights in spurts. He can be outworked by a busy fighter with a constant jab. He’s got a good chin but it’s not indestructible.”

(Written after the third round.)

So the kid isn’t perfect. I was still impressed with what I saw from him because I realize that he was in with a real beast.

Let’s give him credit for daring to test himself.

“It was good for him to come here,” said Sanchez. “At home he was the big dog. There was nowhere to go up. He was probably getting complacent in his training. Here, he has to be on his Ps and Qs because there’s a bigger dog.”

That’s what the young man wanted.

“Rhodes is talented and I know he’s going to be very strong because he’s coming down from middleweight,” Alvarez said through Sanchez during a video interview following his sparring session with Golovkin. “So if I can spar with a smart, powerful middleweight champion like Golovkin, in my mind, I’m not going to have any problem with Rhodes’ ability or size.”

My first look at Golovkin was a treat. I think he’s the real deal. He won’t be able to fight in the U.S. or on American TV until he resolves his contractual dispute with Germany-based Universum, which probably won’t happen until after November (when he says his contract expires), but ‘Superman’ is going to be worth watching whenever ESPN, Showtime or HBO discovers him. Mark my words.

Golovkin is a very strong and durable athlete with all-around skill and excellent technique, which includes defensive prowess. He has good footwork. Pivots well. Makes use of feints. He’s brutal but crafty. If he can take a punch, he’s going to be very hard to beat.

A few more notes on Golovkin:

From my notebook (during the sparring session): “His right hand is like a laser beam. It reminds me of Kostya Tszyu’s right. The way he holds his hands also reminds me of Tszyu. Come to think of it, Golovkin kind of looks of like Tszyu. He’s got the same muscle tone, Central Asian facial features and oil-black hair (sans the pigtail).”

Golovkin, who is learning English, said he had more than 300 amateur bouts.

His boxing heroes are Sugar Ray Robinson and Sugar Ray Leonard.

I met Sanchez in Big Bear back in 1999, when he was training Frans Botha to fight Shannon Briggs that summer. He’s one of my favorite trainers and he happened to train one of my all-time favorite fighters, Terry Norris.

I often tell Sanchez that “Terrible Terry” was my main guy in the early 1990s and one of the reasons I became a hardcore fan.

He told me that Golovkin would be my new favorite in about a year.

We’ll see.
2622628, good read
Posted by PG, Wed Sep-13-17 11:19 AM
although dated I expect the observations will not be too far off the current mark... Canelo's definitely matured defensively but he hasn't been in the type of trouble Gennady is likely to put him in so it will be interesting to see how well he reacts and if he can keep his composure... I liked the comparison to Tzu.
2622702, MAN reading this got me hyped nm
Posted by Binlahab, Thu Sep-14-17 09:11 AM

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg
2622704, DOPE
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Sep-14-17 10:03 AM
2622761, great read.
Posted by IkeMoses, Thu Sep-14-17 11:28 PM
2622599, Danny Jacobs
Posted by S_Ali, Wed Sep-13-17 09:13 AM
is arguably the 2nd best middleweight in the division. Over 6'0, competent boxer with power. I don't think Jacobs is getting enough credit for his performance. The last 3 Alvarez opponents were non competitive confidence builders. I am actually a fan of Alvarez and remember the several risk he took early in his career. He did not have to fight guys like Lara and Trout when he fought them. I think Golden Boy realized they had shielded him as long as they could and the time is now. Getting knocked out by the most dominant middleweight since Hopkins is not disgraceful. It will be interesting to see where he goes after that. Do they put him in with guys like Danny Jacobs or even Charlo or Lemieux? It's some lions at 154 too.
2622630, this.. exactly.
Posted by PG, Wed Sep-13-17 11:24 AM
> The last 3 Alvarez
>opponents were non competitive confidence builders.
2622631, and you may also be right about....
Posted by PG, Wed Sep-13-17 11:26 AM
the amount of credit Jacobs is or isn't getting for his performance... and I could be guilty.
2622839, Yep. People ducking him right now... like Billy Hoe Saunders (c) 78
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sat Sep-16-17 03:25 AM
This dude called out fucking Willie Monroe Jr
to fight, while Jacobs currently has no
opponent scheduled.

I made this post in GD and said I wanna see
a Jacobs vs GGG rematch and I wanna see Jacobs
fight Canelo. That dude is a problem that no
one is running to solve.
2622701, Canelo. who wanna bet?
Posted by Binlahab, Thu Sep-14-17 09:05 AM
im serious.

2622720, I got GGG but I don't like the odds enough so not I... anybody? *crickets*
Posted by PG, Thu Sep-14-17 12:14 PM
2622748, Might take you up on that nm
Posted by snacks, Thu Sep-14-17 04:16 PM
2622887, it's Donkey Kong time kiddos!!!!!
Posted by PG, Sat Sep-16-17 06:59 PM
gatdam I am psyched for this one.. best big name match up since thurman vs porter.
2622888, Rojo vs Martin
Posted by PG, Sat Sep-16-17 07:20 PM
ok I dig this action already... though these guys could be fighting in front of a few more people... straggling ass crowd.
2622889, I think I'm going with Canelo in this one
Posted by BlassFemur, Sat Sep-16-17 07:22 PM
he has the tools to beat him he just need to make sure to keep moving.
2622911, This fight shopuld be way closer than Ledermans scorecard
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Sat Sep-16-17 10:57 PM
2622931, I can see that for sure... but not that one crap as card.. nuh-uh no way.
Posted by PG, Sat Sep-16-17 11:24 PM
2622912, GGG won this shit
Posted by b2thej, Sat Sep-16-17 10:58 PM
2622913, not sure but 118-110 canelo is a joke too
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Sat Sep-16-17 11:01 PM
2622914, the result is bad for boxing...
Posted by Vertigo, Sat Sep-16-17 11:04 PM
Despite this being a really good fight, the judges overshadow it...this kind of decision feeds into the "boxing is rigged" trolls.

The one judge who had is 118-110 canelo should be banned from ever judging again--the other two scores were realistic though.
2622919, even when boxing is great
Posted by will_5198, Sat Sep-16-17 11:09 PM
it's bullshit, with nobody to blame but themselves
2622915, A draw? These niggas wildin.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sat Sep-16-17 11:04 PM
2622916, GGG shut me up tonight.
Posted by IkeMoses, Sat Sep-16-17 11:04 PM
2622917, MMA won big time on many levels
Posted by FunkyBoss, Sat Sep-16-17 11:08 PM
Floyd stay winning even when he ain't in he ring. You can't tell me this was more entertaining that floyd/mcgregor

BS cards. Canelo could've won on all cards and I would've been ok with something like 115-113. I thought GGG won this one but unfortunately gave up some rounds on the strength of him being scared and nervous like a bitch ass the first few rounds.

This fight was supposed to bring order to the boxing world.

I stayed away from MMA but next ppv I'm gonna periscope watch it like I did this sham.
2622920, wut>
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Sat Sep-16-17 11:10 PM
2622921, the fight was good
Posted by Vertigo, Sat Sep-16-17 11:11 PM
so i don't know what you're talking about. just judging both this and may-mac as boxing matches, this one was better in my opinion.

but the judging was a joke. I think GGG won, but I could see a draw or even a very, very slight canelo victory, but 10 rounds to canelo is absurd.
2622927, i don't see how.
Posted by IkeMoses, Sat Sep-16-17 11:20 PM
there have been two boxing mega events in the span of a month.

both were very entertaining fights, for different reasons.

both were also controversial, for different reasons.

but that just means more boxing drama to hype up future fights.
2622932, cool story bro...
Posted by PG, Sat Sep-16-17 11:26 PM
GTFOOHWTBS... troll ass trolling troll.
2622939, this fight/result def more likely to turn off casual/crossover fans
Posted by Reeq, Sat Sep-16-17 11:59 PM
than the may/mac fight.
reinforces the boxing corruption stigma.
2622945, Good.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Sep-17-17 01:20 AM
They don't understand how the game works.
All the remarks about competitive fights
being "boring", talking about counter punchers
"running", and the claims that pressure
fighters are the only "real" fighters is
annoying. If all they want is domination,
they should just watch pressure fighters like
Deontay Wilder's fights on the way to the top.
Hella UFC fans won't even do that, because
they're looking for a white hype, and don't
want to root for a Black guy.
2622944, Dog you're dumb
Posted by cantball, Sun Sep-17-17 01:07 AM

<================== Learn the name now before everyone gets dunked on
2622947, Adelaide Bird judges MMA fights also
Posted by Doc Catalyst, Sun Sep-17-17 02:31 AM
And has had her fair share of fuck ups in that realm as well.
2622957, this was a solid fight...
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Sun Sep-17-17 11:37 AM
Floyd McGregor was a joke....

nobody is going to watch this fight and say that paying for MMA pay per view is the way to go because of this fight..

that's just crazy....

2622918, rob byrds wife trippin.
Posted by Reeq, Sat Sep-16-17 11:09 PM
2622964, her twitter is classic
Posted by Hitokiri, Sun Sep-17-17 12:43 PM
https://twitter.com/AdalaideByrd

the internet man, the internet
2622928, *scoff*
Posted by PG, Sat Sep-16-17 11:22 PM
where the fuck is my judges n referees poast?... that one judge needs to be put on the list.

Great fight.. freaking awesome fight!.. yeah sure do it again... but fire that judge.
2622930, love Canelo but that was robbery
Posted by J_Stew, Sat Sep-16-17 11:23 PM
2622933, Well everyone who said 50/50 was right lol
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sat Sep-16-17 11:28 PM
I thought they both did what they do equally well.
GGG stalked and pressured while Canelo dodged and
counter-punched. Canelo dodged the hell out of
GGG's power shots, but GGG also dictated the pace
of the fight with his pressure... said pressure is
the reason I wouldn't have been mad at a GGG victory.
Canelo landed a higher percentage of punches if I'm
remembering correctly, but as they say "to be the
champ, you have to beat the champ," so I'm not mad
at the draw either.

Overall it was the kind of match I expected. I don't
find either of them super exciting as fighters, but
I don't find either super boring either.
2622934, Real boxing fans are used to the BS judges & still appreciate the fight
Posted by PG, Sat Sep-16-17 11:30 PM
who are we kidding.. we've seen it so many times... and sure it sucks goat balls every fucking time.. but we really don't care in the end because the fight is the fight and we never forget who really won.

that was fucking spectacular I was impressed by both and it was worth every penny.

And I'll buy it the next time too... freaking great match-up... and it'll still be a toss-up on who takes the rematch because they're both going to adjust.
2622943, 118-110 Canelo card...I mean, cmon
Posted by LA2Philly, Sun Sep-17-17 12:46 AM
Ridiculous. I was shocked after the Pac-Horn card but this was a joke
2622962, And the subtle fuckery is this...
Posted by Hitokiri, Sun Sep-17-17 12:36 PM
the judge that scored it a draw gave Canelo the 7th. No other judge did that. Shit, very few people in general would gave given him that round.
See ya'll for Cinco de Mayo 2018
2622966, I'm not terribly upset with a draw
Posted by Hitokiri, Sun Sep-17-17 12:51 PM
but I am terribly upset with those score cards.
I think the rematch favors Canelo as the younger fighter, but GGG won'y be as nervous in the early rounds next time which could also have an effect. I didn't expect Alvarez to be THAT much faster than GGG, but I also didn't think Gennady would control the ring to that degree. If Canelo's timing hadn't been so good, he likely would've tasted the canvas, but usually managed to slip that last big power shot... the times he didn't, he was really feeling him. Once GGG started skipping away with him as he got out of dodge, he was really gonna start finding himself in trouble. He fought the last 2 rounds like he knew he needed them for a win, but I don't think that was enough.
7-5 GGG.
2622969, basically how I saw it too: score, same surprises and impressions
Posted by PG, Sun Sep-17-17 01:27 PM
They both impressed... will certainly be tuning in for the rematch... going to watch this one again paying attention to score each round to figure out exactly what the score should've been.. my first impression was Gennady by at least 2 but only the one card made me mad... though now that you mention rnd 7 on the draw card that's some more "rotten in Denmark" imo.
2623004, to clarify though: I am upset at the draw.. that shit don't fly.
Posted by PG, Sun Sep-17-17 06:57 PM
2622980, Don't see a (logical) case for a draw
Posted by snacks, Sun Sep-17-17 03:19 PM
I'm not naive so I "get" it, but when you look at the fight and the Compubox, there is simply no case for it. Sure, Canelo landed the higher percentage of punches, but only by 2% (33 vs. GGG's 31), but threw 200 less punches

In many rounds, he would get busy and land solid punches for a minute, and then drop his hands and get walked down and jabbed for the next two minutes and would still get the benefit of a doubt in the round

Again, I "get" it but I can't rock w/ it
2622989, i feel like ppl are giving Canleo "style points"
Posted by Kungset, Sun Sep-17-17 04:45 PM
yeah a lot of those counters were impressive and a showcase of how good of a technical boxer, but there wasn't enough coming back. there's no degree of difficulty adjustment
2623003, true...
Posted by PG, Sun Sep-17-17 06:55 PM
there were only 2 rounds that I felt at the time were clearly won by Canelo... and there were maybe a couple to a few I thought might be close but like you say would only warrant it because of style... he rode his bike the whole time pretty much and when he didn't he was on the ropes usually in the corner... he can turn his head and roll with punches but that doesn't win fights if you're not hitting back... that said I'm going to watch it again strictly to score it because I've often gone back to do so with fights I didn't agree with the judges on and been able to see their case even if I don't fully agree.. I didn't want to throw the draw judge under the bus just yet though he pretty much deserves to be... the bigger fish to fry was that clearly trifling ass card which was one of the worst cards I've witnessed.
2623030, A Few Thoughts
Posted by S_Ali, Mon Sep-18-17 09:42 AM
Historically, Canelo has had stamina issues and would not choose to fight the entire 3 minutes and this fight was no exception. Having said that, he was remarkably composed against the ropes, avoided any serious punches and countered effectively off the ropes.

He was clearly faster and the better boxer in the center of the round. When he decided to be more offensive in the center of the ring he was effective. Even when they exchanged I felt like Canelo was getting the better of it. He just didn't do this enough. He was actually backing GGG up at times.

GGG looked 35. Someone posed the question during the telecast is this what happens with the best guys fight each other or is GGG showing his age? The answer is clearly BOTH. We all know Canelo is an extremely talened fighter but he was making GGG look like Floyd fighting Robert Guerro at times. He was making him miss horribly.

I had GGG winning the fight. But again it was more about his work rate and him being the protagonist. I think Canelo landed the heavier shots and countered effectively all night. I feel like GGG fought the best fight he could while Canelo left some in the tank. I came away thinking Canelo is a better fighter although I would have given GGG the decision. If Canelo fought the middle rounds like he did the last 3, he could have won this fight decisively.

2623031, Such a simple take with an obvious answer. HE COULDNT!!!
Posted by Ceej, Mon Sep-18-17 09:51 AM
>If Canelo fought the middle rounds like he did the last 3, he
>could have won this fight decisively.

Dude tried to come in beefed up and gasses super early every round.

GGG won. And he deserves to end Cottos career in December.
2623038, RE: Such a simple take with an obvious answer. HE COULDNT!!!
Posted by S_Ali, Mon Sep-18-17 10:32 AM
His stamina issues are well documented. I think he came in here with the game plan that he was fighting the boogey man and he would have to continue to move. GGG was no boogey man Saturday night and it was a mistake for Canelo to not be more offensive after it was already established he had the upper hand in the center of the ring. He moved in the latter rounds as well but was more offensive because his corner told him he had to be. I'm saying his corner should have given him these instructions sooner.

2623065, possibly but the proof will show in the rematch if you're right
Posted by PG, Mon Sep-18-17 12:52 PM
kinda funny that folks expected it to go to Canelo if it went the distance (not saying I didn't) considering his known stamina issues.. Canelo did do better in the middle of the ring than he did on the ropes but I don't think he was able to comfortably hang there I think Gennady's power was felt by him and he wanted to avoid it and not draw out long exchanges where he could get caught as he ran out of stamina.. Gennady cut the ring off on him really nicely.. that's the main reason he spent the whole time on the ropes and in the corners, because every time he tried to move after an exchange to recoup stamina and avoid damage Gennady kept the pressure on him... Canelo's head movement impressed though I remember early on in his career thinking he was stiff and he has come miles from those days... I would have liked to see more body work form both fighters.. I remember after the first 3 thinking that Canelo's work to the body was looking like it would carry the fight.

I still have to watch it again so this is still my 1st impression.
2623067, adelaide byrd need to be banned and jailed.
Posted by AlBundy, Mon Sep-18-17 01:13 PM
-------------------------
�Floyd Mayweather should be taking fights up to 157 or 160 pounds...His frame can hold the weight..it's not even a lot of weight....Go to the gym and lift weights man..lol.�-- Warren Coolidge