Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectCC Sabathia has opinions (spolier: they're pretty stupid)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2621630
2621630, CC Sabathia has opinions (spolier: they're pretty stupid)
Posted by Walleye, Fri Sep-01-17 07:32 AM
The game is changing a lot, but it's actually kind of a relief to know this fat doofus is still whining about being forced to field his position after a decade and a half.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/a/36928801/sabathia-mad-about-the-red-sox-bunting-on-him-its-called-playing-to-win-cc/

Sabathia mad about the Red Sox bunting on him; it's called playing to win, CC

Sporting News
Sporting News / 22 minutes ago

CC Sabathia said some dumb stuff Thursday night.

The short version: Opponents can only try to beat the Yankees left-hander one way. They can't do other things to throw him off.

In particular, Sabathia was outraged that Boston tried to bunt on him for a second consecutive game.

MORE: Sox partly to blame for Severino being Yanks' ace

The Sox bunted when the teams met at Fenway Park on Aug. 19, and Boston infielder Eduardo Nunez did it again Thursday at Yankee Stadium. Sabathia has dominated the Sox this year (.159/.227/.232 slash line against him in the first three meetings), and Nunez knows how well his former teammate moves (or doesn't) off the mound because of a bad knee.

Sabathia fielded Nunez's poor bunt cleanly but threw wildly to first base for an error. Two walks later, the Red Sox had the bases loaded. An enraged Sabathia worked out of the jam, yelled at the Red Sox as he walked to the dugout, and then dominated for the next five innings. He was done after six, New York won 6-2, and Sabathia improved to 4-0 vs. Boston in 2017.

But CC couldn't let the bunt go after the game. He called the Sox "weak" and "scared" for not just going up to the plate and hacking.

"I mean, they have a really good lineup. I want to go out and compete against them. I just feel like sometimes they don't want to," Sabathia said, per the New York Daily News.

"It shows me what they've got over there," he also said.

Oh, come on, CC. What "they've got over there" is a first-place team that's leading your team by 4 1/2 games in the American League East with a month to play.

What they've got over there is an offense with the fourth-highest on-base percentage in the AL.

What they've got over there is a team that's playing to win. Nunez was being smart, not scared, by bunting.

"I don't care if he was mad," Nunez said, per the Daily News, although Sabathia told reporters Nunez apologized to him during the game.

Speaking of mad . . .

Sabathia did the fake-tough-guy routine: He said any Boston player could meet him in center field Friday if they had a problem with what he said. This after he declined to retaliate by plunking someone.
2621634, I like CC, but this was pretty stupid
Posted by pretentious username, Fri Sep-01-17 08:13 AM
Sorry about the bad knee but we're trying to get on base dude
2621635, i read about this about 3x before i gave up. I couldn't figure out his point.
Posted by Cenario, Fri Sep-01-17 08:23 AM
he mad they making him play defense? lol
2621637, He's been mad about this for his entire career
Posted by Walleye, Fri Sep-01-17 08:24 AM
I remember the Twins used to bunt on him a lot. It made sense. He's really hard to hit; they had a lefty-heavy lineup, and he's incredibly fat.

He's been filling up his giant diaper about this for a long time now.
2621641, i'm also laughing at CC saying dude apologized for it
Posted by Cenario, Fri Sep-01-17 09:02 AM
it probably was some shoulder shrug sorry bro, not some i'm sorry man that was bush league. CC a clown smh
2621660, This explanation makes a lot of sense
Posted by Call It Anything, Fri Sep-01-17 10:39 AM
>it probably was some shoulder shrug sorry bro, not some i'm
>sorry man that was bush league. CC a clown smh

I couldn't straighten that out in my mind but I think I'm going to go with this.
2621663, yeah one article said cc said he apologized in the 2nd inning lol
Posted by Cenario, Fri Sep-01-17 10:49 AM
that's the only reasonable explanation i can come up with. Dude ain't have no change of heart in 20 minutes lol
2621657, What's his next contract look like in 2018?
Posted by Call It Anything, Fri Sep-01-17 10:30 AM
3 years ago it didn't look like he'd get a new one but now he appears to have some more gas in the tank. I don't think anybody is going to overpay for him, but he's likely good for 2 seasons of 150 IP at a league average ERA. Plus he brings "veteran presents". He's a Bay Area guy and the A's could probably use an innings eater. Maybe he takes a victory lap in Oakland for 2/$15 million?
2621662, Is the Yankees rotation going to be so stocked that he's not needed?
Posted by Walleye, Fri Sep-01-17 10:44 AM
That money/years sounds right to me. And two healthy years should get him pretty safely clear of 3,000 strikeouts and 250 wins, assuming those things are important to him. But isn't the Yankees youth primarily centered around position players? With Pineda perpetually between serious injuries, Tanaka eligible to opt out, Severino constantly projected as a reliever before this season, etc. seems like they'd be smart to keep a spot warm for him. Plus, playing for the 2018 A's doesn't really sound like much of a victory lap.

Give me Yankees for 1/10 or 2/15 like you said.
2621680, (fill in the blank) has opinions (spolier: they're pretty stupid)
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Sep-01-17 01:15 PM
^^^ this could be the headline for damn near any post about an interview with an athlete or celebrity, lol. I think this board needs to adopt this format and use it frequently.
2621682, Jim Rice has opinions on CC's opinions (spolier: he calls CC fat)
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Fri Sep-01-17 01:44 PM
https://twitter.com/TomCaron/status/903467469351747585

2621719, lol
Posted by denny, Sat Sep-02-17 01:02 AM
Reminds me when tennis player Michael Chang went on that surprising run in the late 80's and a couple of high-seeded players he beat complained that his serve wasn't fast enough...implying that it was somehow unsportsmanlike to serve up softies that they weren't used to returning. lol He even did an underhanded serve at one point.