Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectIf this were typical 59.95 id buy for sure. Missed opp in terms of promoting
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2621106&mesg_id=2621218
2621218, If this were typical 59.95 id buy for sure. Missed opp in terms of promoting
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Sat Aug-26-17 10:51 AM
If nothing else I want to watch this fight because I want to see Floyd work. Its always a pleasure seeing how good FLoyd is. This is his last fight against an opponent with a different style. Im looking fwd to watching his brilliance show the world how GOAT he is, and how a true Pros vs Joes look. As strange as it sounds, sometimes its hard to see how great the greats are when theyre dominating good guys. Put them in against mortals and you really see how they are Gods in their realm. I get to see this when I watch my instructor Marcelo Garcia roll against lower belts like me.

Now in terms of promotion,
I know Floyd has Gervonta and Jack on the card, but when this was announced I thought it was a great opportunity --with some creative promotion for boxing to put some really exciting undercards/fights on the card.

Theres always the risk of putting another fight that could sell itself on this card and selling yourself short. But imagine ( i know its a different promotional team) but a fight like Canelo/GGG on an undercard. Im not saying this is the actual fight to put on here ---but what about if Ward/Kovalev 2 or 3 or Lomanchenko v Rigondeaux was on the card? Youd pretty much guarantee everyone who is boycotting today would want to buy the card--because you added real boxing legitimacy to it. Youve already jacked up the price to double on the PPV.
Again i realize the cross-promotional thing would always be an issue. But hell if I was an HBO/Golden Boy, Id buy some rights to get a good fight on this card instead of trying to hate on the card.

Boxing isnt dead, but it isnt growing anymore. This was a prime opp for boxing guys to not be shortsighted and greedy and say--maybe we can win some fans and grow the sport. On the UFC side, it wouldve also been interesting to put an exciting fight/fighters on the card (this is also hard because---its a ring and not an octagon). But for the fight fans who wouldve turned in who hate UFC and think its boring or not technical, this couldve been a nice opportunity to win some of those guys.