Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRichardson is fucking up again
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2617817&mesg_id=2617880
2617880, Richardson is fucking up again
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jul-18-17 08:45 AM
I'm a Steeler fan but since I live in Charlotte I follow the Panthers as well.

My take is Gettleman got this club out of cap hell due to Richardson overpaying for old vets as a thank you instead of shipping their asses out of town or asking them to play for the vet minimum. Dude is a former player and while it's noble to reward vets you are essentially handcuffing your cap with these thanks for the memories contracts.

It's still a business and while it was shitty the way Gettleman handled Steven Smith they went 15-1 the next year. The Josh Norman handling was a mistake tho and probably was the beginning of the end for him. While you have to approach it like a biz you also have to handle shit with kid gloves when it comes to locker room cohesion. I heard Gettleman wasn't shaking hands or looking guys in the eye. Real cold with it and that's not the norm in Charlotte, especially since Richardson says he wants to run his franchise like the Steelers.

You want your team to feel like a family and dude is acting like that step uncle who don't give a fuck about reunions and tradition.

At the same time, you need a GM who isn't going to print money and fuck you over with friendly deals for aging players. Its a fine line and Gettleman refused to walk it.