Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThe thing is though, if he's not elite, he'll still hit a ceiling and not have fun.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2617664&mesg_id=2617682
2617682, The thing is though, if he's not elite, he'll still hit a ceiling and not have fun.
Posted by MEAT, Fri Jul-14-17 08:11 PM
Like at least when you're average at something and in your element you can have fun. Like pick up ball.

I ran a single 1500 in hs, I had been an average at best 400 runner and a pretty good 800 runner. So I tried my hand at the 1500 in a meet just to get a medal 4:30.82 at the age of 15 and having never run that race. After that I got a lot of push to go up. But I stuck with the 800. I did CC for two years after that. But that was just to stay in running shape. I had fun doing the 8, I was interested in it and it was a challenge. But I just wouldn't have had any fun doing the 1500. The practice, the grind, the elbows, the role models (Pre Pre Pre) ... distance culture is just not really diverse.

I think walleye is doing well with finding compromise. The 8, is becoming a bit more cooler than it used to be. The dude out of Texas A&M really opened some eyes. And as long as the 400 keeps becoming the elite of the elite, you'll get more diversity in the 800.