Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectNationals get relievers Ryan Madson & Sean Doolittle
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2617582&mesg_id=2617753
2617753, Nationals get relievers Ryan Madson & Sean Doolittle
Posted by Call It Anything, Sun Jul-16-17 08:05 PM
In exchange, Blake Treinen returns to his former franchise in Oakland and the A's get minor league prospects Jesus Luzardo and Sheldon Neuse. The prospects were the Nationals 3rd and 2nd round picks in 2016, respectively, so they have good pedigrees but little track record thus far.

The Nationals are on the hook for $7.66 to Madson next year and $4.38 to Doolittle with additional options after that. Treinen is set to hit arbitration eligibility next year.

Decent move. The prospects are too far out to really value at this point. I mean, Brad Peacock got traded for a pitcher in 2011 and looked like he'd never amount to anything until about 3 months ago. Got to plug some holes and this does that. A's are always about saving money and I think this is like the 10th or 11th trade between Rizzo and Beane.

Doolittle is a bit of a local guy. Grew up in New Jersey but played a little bit of showcase ball for a team based in Reston, VA and then was a stud 2 way player at UVA. He was drafted as a position player and made it to AAA. Hoping Dusty runs him out there in weird pinch hit situations but given his injury history, I doubt it.

Madson also marks the 3rd member of the 2008 World Fucking Champion Phillies team on the Nationals along with Werth and Blanton.