Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectWho's the better businessman Dana White or Floyd Mayweather?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2617515
2617515, Who's the better businessman Dana White or Floyd Mayweather?
Posted by Case_One, Thu Jul-13-17 07:02 AM
Who's pulling the strings in this Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor fight?

"The unexamined life is not worth living." - Plato
2617533, Must be Floyd Mayweather
Posted by Case_One, Thu Jul-13-17 10:32 AM

2617534, the one who's not in trouble with the IRS
Posted by jrocc, Thu Jul-13-17 10:35 AM
2617535, Eeasy grab. IRS issues are common. I don't think that's Floyd's fault
Posted by Case_One, Thu Jul-13-17 10:42 AM
So, if Floyd didn't have to deal with the IRS then he's be the man. Dana is the President of UFC, but Floyd owns his businesses.

Forbes Magazine

"Floyd Mayweather: The Brilliant Business Behind Boxing's Undisputed King"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/julianmitchell/2015/05/04/floyd-mayweather-is-boxings-undisputed-king-and-most-underrated-mogul/#36c6de35244f

2617538, why do people love Floyd's money so much?
Posted by jrocc, Thu Jul-13-17 10:52 AM
Dana made about $360 million from the $4 billion UFC sale. Floyd's net worth was about $340 million in 2016. does that really mean anything though? Dana is the president over an organization and a whole stable of fighters and Floyd only handles himself really so it's all relative and depends on how you want to look at it.

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/17017718/dana-white-new-deal-gives-piece-future-ufc-net-profits

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2016/12/19/floyd-mayweathers-net-worth-340-million-in-2016/#70228b77286e
2617541, Did I mentioned Floyd's money? NOPE!
Posted by Case_One, Thu Jul-13-17 11:03 AM
Floyd built his brand form the ground up, Dana didn't.

2617543, What?
Posted by cantball, Thu Jul-13-17 11:05 AM

<================== Learn the name now before everyone gets dunked on
2617549, i really don't even understand your point
Posted by jrocc, Thu Jul-13-17 11:35 AM
Dana convinced his friends the Fertitta brothers to buy the UFC for $2 million, was basically the face of the organization the whole time and it later sold for $4 billion. what are you talking about fam?
2617551, Man you are not slow. Context is not that hard.
Posted by Case_One, Thu Jul-13-17 12:06 PM
>Dana convinced his friends the Fertitta brothers to buy the
>UFC for $2 million, was basically the face of the organization
>the whole time and it later sold for $4 billion. what are you
>talking about fam?

Dana's Friends bought a viable the business and he managed it - OK - great. Fact

Floyd is the Business and is a genius Businessman on many levels.

2617556, It wasn't viable when they bought the entire thing for 2 million dollars in 2001
Posted by cantball, Thu Jul-13-17 12:33 PM

<================== Learn the name now before everyone gets dunked on
2617570, what makes Floyd a genius really?
Posted by jrocc, Thu Jul-13-17 02:37 PM
being the highest paid boxer makes him a genius? it makes him rich, but what's so genius about what he's done? i'm not trying to talk trash, i really just don't get this line of reasoning. you said he's a genius businessman on "many levels". can you please explain that?
2617574, I don't know about genius but his foresight is rare
Posted by LA2Philly, Thu Jul-13-17 03:05 PM
He had the foresight and plan to do 2 things which have led to him becoming the financial draw that he is: 1 - he got out from his contract with Arum so he wasn't earning pennies on the dollar, becoming the head of the snake himself. 2 - he branded himself as a villain and every public touch point that he has reinforces that brand.

The course he has taken is unlike most boxers, most athletes in general, and it required not only a plan but constant attention to detail and execution of that plan.
2617580, He followed De La Hoya's lead on both of those though.
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Thu Jul-13-17 04:06 PM
>He had the foresight and plan to do 2 things which have led
>to him becoming the financial draw that he is: 1 - he got out
>from his contract with Arum so he wasn't earning pennies on
>the dollar, becoming the head of the snake himself. 2 - he
>branded himself as a villain and every public touch point that
>he has reinforces that brand.
>
>The course he has taken is unlike most boxers, most athletes
>in general, and it required not only a plan but constant
>attention to detail and execution of that plan.

De La Hoya went "independent" before Floyd and Floyd's "heel" persona started with the HBO promotional series for their fight. So Floyd wasn't really "innovative" but, given the knowledge, he's applied it very well.

How has his company done outside of his own fights though? He'll never find another fighter as good as himself but for the company to be more than an "ego label", he needs a strong stable of fighters underneath him. I"m only a casual boxing observer so the only guy I've ever heard of is the dude that's trying to be his Floyd's mini-me.

Dana, on the other hand, was instrumental in resurrecting UFC from it's death bed. A lot of the stuff that infuriates some diehard fans about how he runs the business (like who gets promoted and what fights get made) are also what's fueled it's growth.
2617591, RE: He followed De La Hoya's lead on both of those though.
Posted by LA2Philly, Thu Jul-13-17 08:38 PM

>De La Hoya went "independent" before Floyd and Floyd's "heel"
>persona started with the HBO promotional series for their
>fight. So Floyd wasn't really "innovative" but, given the
>knowledge, he's applied it very well.

True and agreed on all of that. I didn't say he invented that route but it is rare to see an athlete actually go out on a ledge and act on the information he has in front of him.

>How has his company done outside of his own fights though?
>He'll never find another fighter as good as himself but for
>the company to be more than an "ego label", he needs a strong
>stable of fighters underneath him. I"m only a casual boxing
>observer so the only guy I've ever heard of is the dude that's
>trying to be his Floyd's mini-me.
>
>Dana, on the other hand, was instrumental in resurrecting UFC
>from it's death bed. A lot of the stuff that infuriates some
>diehard fans about how he runs the business (like who gets
>promoted and what fights get made) are also what's fueled it's
>growth.

When we're talking about organization and company building, the nod has to go strongly to Dana. However, I wasn't even comparing the two - although I get that's the original post - just replying to jrocc regarding Floyd's prowess in getting out from underneath any layers and branding himself very effectively.
2617563, RE: the one who's not in trouble with the IRS
Posted by murph71, Thu Jul-13-17 01:05 PM

^^^^^^

And fuck Floyd's serial woman beating, ducking ass....
2617537, one's business includes him regularly getting hit in the face
Posted by Selah, Thu Jul-13-17 10:50 AM
the other doesn't
2617540, the one who gets paid to make other people beat each other up for a living.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jul-13-17 11:03 AM
2617547, They're both great at making people mad at what they say
Posted by Ceej, Thu Jul-13-17 11:26 AM
2617552, LOL
Posted by Case_One, Thu Jul-13-17 12:07 PM

2617548, BRANDS!
Posted by Walleye, Thu Jul-13-17 11:34 AM
Brands. Brands, brands, brands. Brands. Branding. Brand your brand into brands.
2617553, Yerp!
Posted by Case_One, Thu Jul-13-17 12:13 PM

2617562, Floyd because Dana ruined MMA
Posted by Kira, Thu Jul-13-17 01:05 PM
Floyd stays getting a bag and is secure long-term. He's redefined the modern boxer and held down a sport singlehandedly against the onslaught of the UFC and all these funboys talking about boxing is dead.

Dana over inflated a product, UFC, sold high before the value fell, and now stands to walk away after ruining a sport. The UFC should be about talent and skill but it rewards stars instead. Ronda is done and Conor retires as soon as the fight in December ends.
2617571, how exactly did Dana ruin MMA?
Posted by jrocc, Thu Jul-13-17 02:45 PM
boxing has been on a steady decline with Floyd as it's only real draw while MMA fighters have become household names during Dana's run.

>UFC should be about talent and skill but it rewards stars
>instead.

this is an idiotic statement. you just praised Floyd for "holding it down" and getting money then criticized MMA for making stars.
2617583, Dana saved MMA
Posted by RobOne4, Thu Jul-13-17 05:50 PM
if he hadnt convinced the Fertita's to buy UFC it would have died. Would have probably been something in Japan. But in the states it would have been dead.
2617585, Dana used the UFC's brand to make MMA more focused on stars than talent
Posted by Kira, Thu Jul-13-17 06:20 PM
>boxing has been on a steady decline with Floyd as it's only
>real draw while MMA fighters have become household names
>during Dana's run.

Even in the "steady decline" boxers make more than mixed martial artists. UFC's recent run of success and focus on stars is one of the worst things to happen to the sport in years. The UFC and MMA should be more about talent and skill than showmanship.

Dana refuses to reward hardworking talent over showmen like Conor McGregor.
>
>>UFC should be about talent and skill but it rewards stars
>>instead.
>
>this is an idiotic statement. you just praised Floyd for
>"holding it down" and getting money then criticized MMA for
>making stars.

MMA shouldn't have to make stars. They should promote their talent and let it speak for itself. Ignoring talent over showmen that sell tickets that lack the skill to back up that talent leads to the sport turning into wrasslin.

Floyd held it down by winning five titles defending them 24 times over his illustrious career. Holding it down refers to 21 years of dominance. 21 years we're talking about here and getting money is secondary to Floyd's dominance.
2617587, you're contradicting yourself
Posted by jrocc, Thu Jul-13-17 07:33 PM
Floyd and a very small handful of boxing stars (like literally 2, maybe 3) are the only ones making any real money. if they can't draw big PPV numbers, they not making a ton of money. Floyd PPV numbers are even declining and he far and away outpaces the rest of boxing. no one barely knows (or cares) who's on the undercard of most boxing matches. UFC stars getting big is how the rest of the fighters get paid more and more as time goes on. UFC undercards are usually stacked with good fights even down into the prelims. people aren't tuning in just to watch the main event, they're watching the whole show. if Dana gave every fighter big money out the gate, they'd have gone under long ago. that's just the truth. MMA as it is today is still relatively young. a baby compared to how long boxing has been around. at the rate it's going MMA fighters will be getting paid just fine.

as far as UFC not showcasing talent and skill, i'm not sure what to say to that. give me more details as to what you mean by that, cuz i'm not understanding. what is it that you'd like to see more of?
2617576, Dana for earning nearly as much and taking much fewer punches
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Thu Jul-13-17 03:18 PM
2617581, Dana.
Posted by Heinz, Thu Jul-13-17 04:44 PM
Who do you think is smarter with their money Dana or Floyd? People still getting shit mixed up and thinking wealthy people spend money like Floyd. No. Stop it.

People still getting okie doked by flashiness. smh.
2617595, Al Haymon.
Posted by Musa, Thu Jul-13-17 11:08 PM
2618384, This isn't even close...
Posted by Vertigo, Sun Jul-23-17 09:47 PM
Floyd is successful because he is one of the greatest boxers ever--not because he's the greatest businessman. He keeps betting on himself and he keeps winning--because of his boxing ability. Outside of betting on himself (which obviously pays well), what has he done in a business sense?

Dana, on the other hand was the biggest part of building the UFC as a company and a brand and really in building MMA to most of the world. This isn't even close.
2618404, Both appear to not give 2 shits about their fighters.
Posted by Jon, Mon Jul-24-17 05:42 AM