Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI still maintain he's a bust tho
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2617241&mesg_id=2617293
2617293, I still maintain he's a bust tho
Posted by melmag, Mon Jul-10-17 07:02 PM
*ducks tomatoes*

Consider this dude was the best & most hyped big man prospect since Shaq. Yeah his career before injury was short but I don't recall him beasting or anywhere close to it.

I know we're quick to blame the injury but honestly, I dont seem him beyond a 15/8 type player AT BEST from the little I saw. I mean, for any other big man without the hype & promise, those are great numbers, but for "the next great big man", thats a disapointment imo..

How I know?

1) his athleticism was limited. He wasnt particularly quick, agile nor could he jump. dude's game was based ALL on size & strength ala Shaq, but Shaq had the other components too. Oden did not.

2) traditional back to the basket center types were getting phased out. Could he expand his game from under the basket to the perimetr? Hard to say, but normally, players that thrived under the basket for so long have a hard time adapting. how did Dwight Howard turn out??

3) Old man body at 19. I dont know about his conditioning but I dont see how with his already failing body, how he would keep up for 48 minutes/82 games in a decidedly "run & gun" league

Sure he's not to blame for his natural body chemistry, but how does that exclude him from being a bust tho? Yes, there's levels to bustage, but a bust nonetheless. He's a likeable dude we wouldve loved to see dominate, but we didnt, so we make excuses. His story is no different from Raplh Sampson or Sam Bowie whose bodies failed them too, but are quick to be called busts. So is Greg Oden