Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectPeople thought he was a safe but lower-upside pick.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2615127&mesg_id=2638223
2638223, People thought he was a safe but lower-upside pick.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Jan-17-18 04:45 PM
Most of the folks I know thought his projection was pretty easy-- starter-quality stretch 4 eventually, a strong spot up shooter, and not much else-- that the "new Dirk" comments were all major cyses. That's still obviously worth a top 10 pick-- especially in a Hoiberg system-- but since the Bulls seemed far from contention, I can't blame folks who thought other players had higher upside for thinking the pick was a wasted opportunity. In particular with Dennis Smith, as I know a number of folks thought he could be a future All-Star.

I did *not* anticipate that his rebounding rate would be as high as it is right now. He was a pretty average rebounder last year, and his interior strength against college competition was definitely considered one of his weaker points going into the draft. While he was an obvious elite shooter last year, I also didn't expect him to put up multiple 30-burgers in his first three months-- he didn't do that against the Pac-12.

It may also (not to blow my Hoiberg horn some more) be a case that Markkanen is simply the perfect match for Hoiberg's style of play, that what he displayed at Arizona was a little more restrained by Arizona's slower tempo and iso heavy offense.