Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI think I like yours better
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2610912&mesg_id=2610966
2610966, I think I like yours better
Posted by Walleye, Sun Jun-04-17 10:23 AM

>C - Jorge Alfaro (Colombia) AAA Stud for the Phillies

I actually considered this one too, but opted against it because:

a)his success was too speculative
b)I kind of got tired of hearing about Alfaro when Jason Parks was still writing at BPro

But the positional flexibility you got out of it makes him worth it.

>1B - Joey Votto* (Canada)
>2B - Jose Altuve (Venezuela)
>3B - Adrian Beltre (Dominican Republic)
>SS - Andrelton Simmons (Curacao)
>LF - Yeonis Cespedes (Cuba)
>CF - Mike Trout (USA)
>RF - Max Kepler* (Germany)

Better use of the Dominican option (somebody needs to take this phrasing back from Catholic twitter) with Beltre, especially defensively because it lets you use Cespedes in the outfield.

>SP - Yu Darvish (Japan)
>RP - Seung-hwan Oh (South Korea)

And this is a better combination here. As you saw above, I tried to get Darvish in there too.

>Also considered Christian Bethancourt at catcher, Shin Soo
>Choo for RF, Roberto Osuna in relief, and a bunch of starters
>including Jaime Garcia and Marco Estrada.

Soooooooo, I like Osuna here out of the Mexican options, but there aren't any Korean starters that would let us make something closer to a full roster. Bethancourt would help as a C/RP flex option. I'd like to revisit this idea in a few years, maybe with Gift Ngoepe or one of the Twins' "prospects" from Moldova (they've got two brothers who were trained by a javelin coach). Getting an Australian in there would be cool. Twins used to own that market: Hughes, Balfour, Oeltjen, Moylan, Brad Thomas. Liam Hendriks is kind of good now. Maybe he gets a spot?

>Similarly, I thought Puerto Rico would be a
>cop out.

Hat tips to both of us for not taking the easy way out.