Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectIf we're talking all-time...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2610912&mesg_id=2610950
2610950, If we're talking all-time...
Posted by Call It Anything, Sun Jun-04-17 03:26 AM
C - Russell Martin (Canada)
1B - Miguel Cabrera (Venezuela)
2B - Robinson Cano* (Dominican Republic)
3B - Omar Linares (Cuba)
SS - Edgar Renteria (Colombia)
LF - Barry Bonds* (US)
CF - Andruw Jones (Curacao)
RF - Ichiro Suzuki* (Japan)
SP - Fenando Valenzuela* (Mexico)
RP - Mariano Rivera (Panama)

-I don't know how guys like Bert Blyleven or Danny Graves would count in this exercise, as people born out of the country but moved at a young age to the US, but I just said they were from the US.

-I kind of went with a wildcard for Omar Linares at 3B but always would get excited to watch him and imagine he could have been great. Not like GOAT great, but maybe like Robin Ventura great.

-If you look at Puerto Rico as part of the US, the drop-off at catcher gets really steep.

-Panama is a binary. Probably Japan too.

-Some interesting CF options out there with Andrew Jones and Devon White.

-I strongly considered Dennis Martinez as the starter, but my first baseball memories were of Valenzuela so I got to ride with him. Valenzuela, Cuba, and the DR are big choices. Martinez would allow for a different closer like Joakim Soria or Roberto Osuna if you wanted to go for Rod Carew over Mariano Rivera to bolster the IF.

-Renteria at SS feels like the weak link. But I think it's hard to be strong everywhere. Were I doing this conservatively, my IF would be something like Beltre/Aparicio/Carew/Perez. Makes a significant drop-off at relief pitching. Were this a game or single series, the reliever would be huge and it would be easier to justify Rivera. But over the course of a whole season, probably got to bite the bullet and go for like Byung Hyung Kim out of the bullpen. But a Vinny Castilla or a Edgar Renteria allows for some other choices.