Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThis is a tough choice.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2590440&mesg_id=2590481
2590481, This is a tough choice.
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Thu Jan-19-17 10:15 AM
Id go

Davis
Embiid
Giannis

KAT

The first 3 are all really close. Davis is the safest bet because hes tried and true for the longest. He can do everything you want out of a modern big. Score inside, outside (out to 21 ft), pass a bit, board and he's a solid help defender. His cons besides injury (which this year theyve finally let him tough through shit) is that he's had time to lead a team to the playoffs and make noise, but just barely got there. He's played on pretty bad teams though but no excuses right?

Embiid like Davis can do everything you want out of a modern big too, and he has a better 3 point shot. He's not as mobile a rebounder as Davis (more on that later) but he's better on the ball and as a help defender. He does what you want as a old school big really well. He eats up paint and intimidates drivers from coming in and he can help. On the ball he can move his feet enough to stay with most bigs and has the length to bother shots.
Whats interesting about him is his college game was so different than what he's become. He was a tall, lanky, rangy college big. I remember really liking him on our podcast, but Id be lying if I said I knew he would be this polished offensively. What I loved about him was his motor and range as a defender and rebounder. As he's put on size he's lost some of that mobility but he's such a big presence who can do so much on both ends of the floor. What I really love about him right now --is that he doesnt try and do too much. He often makes the right play and doesnt just force shit despite his talent. Its pretty incredible if you think about it despite him being relatively new to basketball. You are gonna be worried about injury with him for awhile, but the 6ers are in no rush to extend him past 28 minutes. And if he can keep this up I think he still has the highest ceiling.

Giannis is rightfully leading in votes. Statistically he's a monster despite some glaring holes in his game. So people will always say. "Man can you imagine when he can knock down that 3?"
Or wait til he understands the game a bit better. He's doing all of this only playing the game for about 10 yrs like Joel. As a pg in the Russy and Harden role he can do so much. he can get to the hole at will, he's a monster in transition, and has the ability to find open men. He has the best efg% of the group despite his poor 3pt shooting. Defensively, he gets in passing lanes and can recover so well to get blocks. You'd like him to be a bit tougher 1-on-1 but just his size and length is enough to scare most tier 2 guys from trying to go at him.

KAT -- I dont feel like typing much about KAT now. Essentially he's gotta get a little tougher on both ends of the floor, but otherwise he can do it all on both ends of the floor. He also has the tendency to go off, then just chill within the same game.

Honorable mention -- Jokic. Wont spend too much time on him either but this dude is an offensive Savant. Might be the most skilled offensive player out of this group-- and thats saying a lot. His passing is off the charts -- like GOAT status for his position at 21. He can score inside, mid-range, and outside. The main gripe with him is if he's a savant offensively, he's a total dunce on defense.