Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: "best team" is never settled. "Champion" is
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2580299&mesg_id=2581454
2581454, RE: "best team" is never settled. "Champion" is
Posted by 3xKrazy, Fri Dec-09-16 07:39 PM
>The committee veered from it this very year. If anyone cared
>about "best team" Oklahoma or Michigan would be playing
>instead of Washington, despite the fact that they dont
>actually deserve it and Washington does.

I think the committee painted themselves into a corner with washington and were afraid to leave the pac out again. mich lost 2 out of their last 3 games and their only win outside the state of mich was rutgers. there was just nothing that could be done to help their cause.

> Why would anyone ever challenge themselves
>outside of the conference ever again?

and you think by making it strictly about conf championships will incentivize programs to schedule elite OOC matchups?

>Everyone failed except PSU.

wisconsin didn't fail because they made it to the champ game despite losing to OSU and mich. and what if wisky won that game vs psu? it's stupid.

>Thats what i want. Biggest stakes in the fucking world for
>the best rivalry in football. Win and move on, lose and
>dont.

bleh. not for me, thanks. this year's game had max level stakes. we don't need anything added on top of it.

cfb has simply never been about conf champions so i don't know what the incentive is in starting now.

>Im not sure about that. The "compelling matchups" is
>meaningless as a factor for deciding who gets to keep playing.

LOL. keep dreaming. this is a business, let's remember that. and don't think that the horrific ratings from putting msu and iowa into huge bowl matchups last year don't enter into the committee's thought process. those games were ratings disasters.

> And there is no reason the games have to be on NYE unless the
>networks cowtow to the NFL forever.

that's a separate discussion altogether but even if it wasnt on NYE nobody is checking for western mich vs bama. matchups are important.

>UCONN wasnt the "best" team in
>the country in 2011. But no one cares.

true, not many care about college hoops. certainly not as much compared to cfb. check the ratings for regular season college hoops. it's not exactly a sport worth emulating.