Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectWhat a waste of a Sunday. I could have done anything else.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2560491&mesg_id=2561044
2561044, What a waste of a Sunday. I could have done anything else.
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Aug-22-16 10:37 AM
I'm just gonna focus on the Lesnar shit because that trickles down. It's like everything was horrendous- it never is- and maybe I'll post up about the other matches later, but there's just so much "blah" in this.

The match went exactly as expected until the finish. This was full blown parody. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, Brock is booked WAY too dominant and it hurts everyone involved. That includes Lesnar.

Lesnar destroying everyone in his path like they are child’s play not only makes his opponents look extremely weak, it makes him look like he’s fighting tomato cans and reinforces how weak WWE wrestlers are compared to ‘legit’ combat athletes.

To me Lesnar’s dominance looks more impressive if he has credible opponents who can give him a run for his money. That would send the message that he’s actually beating great competition instead toying with these fake sports entertainers and create genuine excitement and anticipation for a Lesnar match as opposed to a mere novelty act. I’m sure plenty of people enjoy watching him dismantle every potentially credible foe on the roster, but I think they’d enjoy it far more if a. every match wasn’t the exact same and b, he actually appeared vulnerable to another badass.

Randy Orton should have been booked to be that badass. I would have put Orton over after an intense hossfest with a plan fir the follow up, but that’s another problem: even if he went over, WWE booking would have put him over on a fluke after getting beaten halfway into a coma. Brock can win all these matches and still give these guys some shine in the process. Brock doesn’t need to lose in order to make guys look like something more than prison pussy. And no, sorry, getting an RKO on the table doesn’t change anything. Getting a brief hope spot doesn’t make this any less egregious and doesn’t count as giving Orton any shine. For the record, Orton could be anyone and the problem is the same.

Compounding this fuckery was the addition of Shane. Because, hey, if we need anything it’s MOAR MCMAHON. Seriously, I used to love Shane’s matches. Still love those old garbage matches and love his old high spots. That fit the chaos of the era and the McMahon Invasion made sense in the larger scheme of that particular product. Seeing him get involved in 2016 does exactly what Brock does: take the focus away from the actual workhorses and puts the spotlight squarely on a guy who doesn’t make anyone else better off for his presence.
Yeah yeah yeah, we got a brand split, new title, new indy smark champs, blah blah blah: Just like I said during the post-mania “New Era” refresh, the product is little more than a new paint job on the same creaky old house.

I can easily parlay my disdain for Lesnar into the Ziggler/Ambrose match. This is what happens when you spend years fighting the tide of fan favor with guys who aren’t the corporate pick: NOBODY GIVES A FUCK. I wanted a Ziggler win but even if that happened, so what? It would have been a lukewarm moment. They absolutely should have ran with him after Survivor Series and let Roman chill. Both guys would have been better off. That’s not hindsight either. It was crystal clear at the time.

I listen to all these podcasts about the WWE writing team and how grueling that schedule is and I wonder what the fuck everyone does all goddamn day, up to and including the master of that universe. What the fuck does Vince do all day? Because there’s no fucking way this is the end result of 70 hour work weeks. Does Vince have Brock come in and do the Brock Bounce all day? Does he call Reigns into his office to put on his contact lenses and cock his fist and howl for three hours straight? What the fuck do these guys actually DO?

I’ve heard so much about how these meetings go and the schedule and all that and everyone involved should be ashamed of their output. Hunter and WWE Stans can makethose cute little “how’s your promotion doing?” all day and twice when the subs come in, but any objective observer can see that this company is coasting on the fumes of past greatness and brand loyalty. Vince is basically Dixie Carter with a more opportunistic timeline.

There’s some good right now, some bad, but ultimately most of this is just plain “blah”. 12 man tag matches?

For those who say not to watch, to watch something else, why do I still watch, etc, I’ve already said it. Brand loyalty. There’s just enough to keep me coming back here and there and the 9.99 a month allows me to visit the Ghosts of Greatness past while I watch Vince bury that legacy in real time.