Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectTim Tebow pursues pro baseball career (swipe)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2559095
2559095, Tim Tebow pursues pro baseball career (swipe)
Posted by Marbles, Tue Aug-09-16 07:20 AM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/09/tim-tebow-turns-his-attention-to-baseball/

Tim Tebow hasn’t reached the same heights in professional football that Michael Jordan reached in professional basketball, but that doesn’t mean he can’t steal a page from Jordan’s book when it comes to unexpected second acts in sports.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Tebow is “actively pursuing a career in professional baseball” and plans to hold a workout, shirtless and rainy or otherwise, for major league teams later this month. Tebow, who resisted any and all calls to change his football position, has been training in Arizona and California.

Tebow will also be turning 29 later this month, which is a late start date for a career on the diamond but it’s not the first time that the prospect of Tebow wielding a bat has come up. Tebow hit .494 as a high school junior and some veteran baseball scouts said he would have been drafted coming out of high school if he had played his final year, but Tebow was off to Gainesville to pursue gridiron glory in what would have been his final high school semester.

It’s impossible to know what kind of skills Tebow might still have, but his name would probably make a few minor league teams interested in bringing him onboard to test them out in front of paying customers who might not show up to watch more typical aspiring baseball players. Going that route never got Jordan to the big leagues, but he had a bit more to fall back on in his first athletic pursuit.
2559097, Tebow is still a story??
Posted by Beezo, Tue Aug-09-16 07:39 AM
Amazing. Must be a slow day in the news world
2559098, right
Posted by Ashy Achilles, Tue Aug-09-16 07:47 AM
i thought we were done with tebow talk
2559099, The fucking arrogance. I hope he throws his arm out of socket
Posted by MEAT, Tue Aug-09-16 08:13 AM
And that it smacks him in his own face. Tim Tebow professional football washout wants to play baseball. He's gonna hold a workout for major league team. Meanwhile Michael Jordan arguably the greatest hooper of all time "discreetly" went and played farm league and tried to earn it like everyone else.
Tim Tebow isn't going to try outs. He's not joint a farm league, triple A, nah.
2559105, More or less my reaction.
Posted by Buck, Tue Aug-09-16 10:01 AM
2559101, I can't wait til he fails miserably
Posted by cantball, Tue Aug-09-16 09:32 AM
He may as well have spoken at Trumps convention

<================== Learn the name now before everyone gets dunked on
2559108, He understands his value in the newscycle. It doesn't matter if he fails.
Posted by Castro, Tue Aug-09-16 10:06 AM
It adds to his public narrative and he'll get paid.
2559111, Pathetic
Posted by Marauder21, Tue Aug-09-16 10:26 AM
2559118, he really loves attention
Posted by Kungset, Tue Aug-09-16 11:19 AM
2559123, Here is what bugs me
Posted by The Real, Tue Aug-09-16 11:55 AM
The fact teams are going to entertain this. I could see a low Class A team doing this to get fans in the seats but will he go to low Class A?

I want them to bring in some mediocre Class A dude and just throw him a couple curves it will be game, set, match. Newsflash - hitting is hard as fuck.

I haven't picked up a bat in two years. Let me get back into game shape and I'd look better than dude at a tryout. This is a joke!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2559124, I mean, I get it
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Aug-09-16 12:12 PM
The guy has spent, conservatively, over half his life pursuing his athletic dreams. And then to discover that at age 26, despite all the hype and the awards and the accolades, that he was no longer good enough to really compete at professional level. That has to really, really suck. Just like it sucks for the dozens of guys who have to retire from the NFL at a young age every year under similar circumstances.

However unrealistic it is (and it's EXTREMELY unrealistic), dude probably believes that he still has something to offer athletically and can still compete at the highest level in some sport. So, whatever. He'll try this, won't make the cut, and go back to making his money as CFB analyst and the lecture/motivational speaker circuit.
2559130, yep...just not sure why it makes people so upset...
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Aug-09-16 12:37 PM
like...who among us wouldn't pursue a passion of ours if we had the ability to do so? You wanna be mad because teams are gonna go see him? Be mad at the teams. If you used to do programming and decided to give it another shot and was able to get an audience with the best programming companies in your city (I'm using these terms loosely, btw)...wouldn't you?

*and by "you", I don't mean you, Hood. Just, in general.
2559136, It's the way he's going about it.
Posted by Buck, Tue Aug-09-16 01:25 PM
Rather than attending an open tryout somewhere, or catching on with an independent league team, in the middle of the baseball season he declares he's gonna hold his own special Tebow day and invite major league teams to come watch.

It's "I'm Tim Tebow and I get special treatment."

So yeah, fuck him.
2559137, *shrug*
Posted by Ashy Achilles, Tue Aug-09-16 01:27 PM
be mad at the teams going to watch him
2559140, Yes, and we can *also* call him arrogant.
Posted by Buck, Tue Aug-09-16 01:32 PM
>be mad at the teams going to watch him

See how that works?
2559138, fair enough...I still think that's on the teams, not him
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Aug-09-16 01:32 PM
2559128, ITWAN (c)FSPod
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Aug-09-16 12:35 PM
If this dude don't get out of the news. I'm tired of the gracious, fake humble, media whore.

Just go away.

Terrelle Pryor was told he couldn't be a qb anymore, he went and learned another position.

You know how many other qbs flame out? I mean mega athletic qbs. You think people would care if Tyrod Taylor was bobsledding? No.
2559146, LOL at this legitimately bothering anyone
Posted by 3xKrazy, Tue Aug-09-16 01:51 PM
let the man do his thing. if you don't like it, don't watch the 24/7 coverage.
2559148, man ppl really hate him for no reason lol.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Aug-09-16 01:58 PM
or at least no reason of his own doing
2559149, Adam Jones got jokes:
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Tue Aug-09-16 01:58 PM
https://twitter.com/SimplyAJ10/status/763063936614707204
2567332, TEBOW ON THE MAINLINE! HR on first pitch in first pro at bat.
Posted by Castro, Wed Sep-28-16 11:48 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tim-tebow-hit-a-home-run-in-his-first-professional-at-bat-163901763.html

New York Mets outfielder Tim Tebow’s baseball career has barely even begun and he’s already a legend. The former quarterback turned outfielder hit a home run on the first pitch he saw as a professional baseball player

Yep, you can’t write a better script than that. The blast came during Tebow’s first game in the instructional league. Prior to Wednesday, Tebow had taken part in intrasquad games against his Mets’ teammates, but this was the first time he faced another club.
2567335, AND HE RAN AROUND THE BASES FAST AS FUCK.
Posted by Castro, Wed Sep-28-16 11:50 AM
PLAYING THE GAME THE RIGHT WAY.
2567362, lol
Posted by Cenario, Wed Sep-28-16 01:06 PM
2567384, lol...Scott Rolen was like "that's too fast, Bro!!!!"
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Sep-28-16 01:52 PM
2567398, wow... maybe there is a God after all lol
Posted by Amritsar, Wed Sep-28-16 02:10 PM
2567401, he just got Tebow's calling wrong the first time around.
Posted by pretentious username, Wed Sep-28-16 02:21 PM
2569510, This NIGGA is HEALING MUHPHUCKAS IN THE STANDS!
Posted by Castro, Tue Oct-11-16 10:37 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tim-tebow-tends-to-fan-who-had-a-seizure-after-his-baseball-game-010018325.html

Tim Tebow, the ex-quarterback turned New York Mets minor-leaguer, may have performed a miracle Tuesday, and no, it has nothing to do with his attempt at a baseball career.

Following Tebow’s Arizona Fall League debut, the outfielder reportedly came to the aid of a man who suffered a seizure. Tebow reportedly placed his hands on the man and said a prayer before emergency personnel arrived on the scene.

Tebow signing autographs. Fan has what looks like seizure. Not moving. Tebow puts hand on him and says a prayer. Man breathes. WOW.

The whole thing sounds pretty surreal given Tebow’s reputation, right? But there’s evidence that the whole thing took place.

Tim Tebow an amazing individual. Tends to a man who had a seizure

This went further than a prayer. After the man regained consciousness, Tebow sat and talked with him for 15 minutes, according to USA Today. Tebow comforted the man, telling him paramedics are “going to take good care of you, buddy.” In an amusing twist, the man turned out to be a huge Georgia Bulldogs fan. Tebow attended the University of Florida, one of Georgia’s biggest rivals.

The fire department arrived at the park to help the man who had the seizure. There’s been no update on his condition.

Amazingly, this is not the first time Tebow has come to the aid of someone in distress. Tebow was reportedly involved in a similar situation in June after a man experienced heart problems on a flight. Tebow comforted the family and prayed with them as the plane prepared to make an emergency landing.

Now, classifying either scenario as a “miracle” falls on the side of hyperbole. But we should acknowledge that Tebow does seem like an individual who cares, and is willing to come to the aid of those in need. No matter how you feel about Tebow, this appeared to be a moment of genuine kindness. It’s tough to be snarky about that.

Tebow’s performance on the field wasn’t as uplifting. The 29-year-old outfielder went 0-for-3, with three groundouts. He also crashed into the outfield wall face-first while trying to catch a fly ball.

His on-field performance may not have been encouraging, but that hardly seems to matter considering what happened after the game.

2569525, Dude might be the messiah the Jews are waiting for
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Tue Oct-11-16 11:29 PM
Not fake ass Jesus christ
2569528, lol
Posted by will_5198, Wed Oct-12-16 12:08 AM
fuck it, this guy is too entertaining
2569534, I am about to CAST ASIDE MY LIFE and follow this man.
Posted by Castro, Wed Oct-12-16 05:45 AM
I am willing to bet even money if he gets called up to the big leagues and plays in New York, he is going to turn Fiji water into Ciroc at Citi Field.
2569537, Can he put his hand on WRights back and MAtz elbow, shoulder, etc.
Posted by Cenario, Wed Oct-12-16 07:28 AM