Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectIt's writing-by-checklist.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2535591&mesg_id=2544289
2544289, It's writing-by-checklist.
Posted by Buck, Tue Jun-07-16 04:07 PM
I didn't mind the ladders because at least it was sort of visually arresting, but they spent forever and ever just trying to check the "Sell MITB" box, and told NO story in the process. It's maddening.

Every one of the three matches off that segment was fine, and all six are fine workers, but there was no heat for any of them because there was no story beyond "I wanna win the briefcase really bad!"

And it's lazy as fuck because with those six guys in particular you could write in all kinds of intrigue and backstabbing and double-dealing. What if Ambrose comes in and before sitting on the ladder sidles over to Owens, says something inaudible, and they both snicker, then Owens nods at Cesaro, who no sells it. Jericho notices all this, looks aggrieved, and now, in 30 seconds, you've set up questions of alliances and possible turns. Then maybe Owens clearly throws his match with Ambrose, who's later confronted by say, Zayn, playing the role of the moral conscience, but Ambrose denies anything's up. Meanwhile, camera catches Rollins off to the side watching this with a knowing smirk.

Now I'm into it, you know? Who's in bed with whom? It's narration 101, something they used to be capable of. Instead it's just "these guys all wanna win and don't seem to like each other very much, so please buy the PPV."

Lucha Underground is having no influence whatsoever on Creative, is my diagnosis.