Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThis is more fun when Trout is fully Trouting (edit)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2532654&mesg_id=2534409
2534409, This is more fun when Trout is fully Trouting (edit)
Posted by Walleye, Tue Apr-26-16 10:32 AM
Which is now happening, up to .300/.405/.529. They're tied in fWAR and Trout leads slightly in bWAR.

On the other hand, that homerun that Harper hit on Sunday against the Twins had this sense of utter inevitability to it. I had a long argument with the bearded guy next to me about whether the Twins should have pitched to Harper or not. Seems pretty clear to me. I wouldn't even have walked Barry Bonds there, and Harper still isn't Bonds. Some guy kept yelling "you can't let Harper beat you" but he didn't really seem to care that:

a) technically, the Twins let Harper tie them
b) the root problem here is a bullpen that has Kevin Jepsen as king of the hill

In any case, I'll call Trout as a marginal victor at the end of the season in both brands of WAR - due to better defense, a bump for position, and the oddity that the Angels now play in a really tough scoring environment. But mostly, I want this argument to continue to play out because both players post 8+ win seasons well into the second-half of their 20's.

edit: I can't recall the last team before this current Angels squad that had so many players I like but still remains utterly boring and unwatchable. I usually scroll through the west coast games after each latest Twins trainwreck and I can't recall stopping on LAAA once yet this season. If Andrelton Simmons can't make you entertaining, you've kind of failed at sports.