Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: i don't fault mitch, but i do hold him accountable...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2532116&mesg_id=2567637
2567637, RE: i don't fault mitch, but i do hold him accountable...
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Fri Sep-30-16 10:36 AM
>..just like jeanie and jim.
>
>as fucked up as the cp3 trade rescission was, the aftermath of
>that trade was completely mishandled. even if i give him a
>pass on the howard situation (which i don't), its not enough
>to offset:
>
>• mishandling the odom situation (horrible communication by
>all parties involved)
>• the coaching carousel
>• the nash deal

wait though....did I miss Lamar contributing ANYTHING to an NBA team after that? How is it a bad on Mitch if he let a guy go who never did anything in the NBA after he let him go?

as far as the coaching carousel.... I mean we should have brought Phil back....that was Jim's call not to do that.....

I thought we should have made a strong run at Billy Donovan....

but we brought in coaches who had success elsewhere in their past...it didn't work out with the Lakers for them....we end up paying a lot of guys who aren't coaching the team anymore..but I'd rather do that then keep guys around just to justify paying them.

as far as the Nash trade....well again I don't dig trading any draft picks of value for old hurt guys...but it was done because the thought was that Dwight Howard was still the premier center in the NBA when we got it. It wasn't like the Lakers were the only team in the NBA who believed Dwight was still an all-star level center...everyone believed that.

>
>*please note: the lakers built their reputation on skill, hard
>work, execution, and poise (that's entertainment). everything
>about that nash deal reeked of desperation (scrambling to make
>something of their plans for howard). it backfired horribly,
>and the lakers are still paying for it.
>
>i respect mitch and everything he's done for the franchise. at
>the same time, there's an expiration date for every position
>in this business. i'm not sure how much he has left in the
>tank.
>

My thing is this.... If the Lakers hadn't made moves to improve...if they were content to stand pat and be bad..I'd have a problem.... they went out to acquire the guy that everyone in the NBA believed was the premiere Center in the NBA...after going out and getting the guy who was considered to premiere PG in the NBA before the league vetoed it.... The efforts to do those things makes it hard for me to condemn the organization even though it didn't work out..it's not like they came with a strategy out of left field to get players that nobody wanted...they went out to get the universally accepted best center and point guard in the league at the time...