Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectSo we got Ingram. Who do we go after in free agency?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2532116&mesg_id=2552001
2552001, So we got Ingram. Who do we go after in free agency?
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Jun-27-16 06:52 PM
I'm not thrilled with our options this year. I say max out Whiteside to make sure we get someone. We all know he's a risk/reward proposition and will most likely be another Bynum. It is what it is.

Here's the other factor: if he produces reasonably well in the early going, he could prove to be solid trade bait for Cousins after December, provided we don't give him a no trade clause. I highly doubt that the situation in Sacto improves and he could make it possible for us to trade for Cuz without giving up DLo or BI.

I know, I know, not gonna happen, why would Sacto want Whiteside, blah blah blah. I'm just looking at a possible benefit of signing him.

After Whiteside I say overpay some quality mid-range guys for one/two year deals. We need stability and quality veterans but what we don't need is to be locked into long term contracts with guys who won't elevate us into title contention.

Potential dark horse scenario: Are there players we could trade for while giving up minimal assets and simply absorb their contract? Guys who are either on the outs, bad fits for the current direction of their squad or what have you?

The obvious obstacle there is that most guys who would be available under a scenario like that likely wouldn't be someone we should try to acquire anyways but it's something worth exploring IMO.