Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectPop: GS offense 'unsolvable', thinks about them more than any team ever
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2518398&mesg_id=2518398
2518398, Pop: GS offense 'unsolvable', thinks about them more than any team ever
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Mon Feb-15-16 09:53 AM
Pop sounds... worried.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/golden-state-warriors-stephen-curry-san-antonio-spurs-gregg-popovich-envious-ball-movement-021216

Spurs' Popovich says he's 'envious' of 'unsolvable' Warriors' offense, pristine ball movement

By Jeff Caplan
Feb 12, 2016 at 1:42p ET

San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich didn't have a great night the last time he visited Oakland. Stephen Curry and the Golden State Warriors gave Pop whiplash as he watched them rack up 31 assists on 44 baskets in a 30-point victory.

Popovich and the Spurs helped revolutionize NBA offenses in this era of ball-movement with their pristine passing. Golden State just might have perfected it. And even Popovich can't helped but be amazed by what's going on in the East Bay. During an appearance on ESPN Radio on Friday he even said he's "envious" of the Warriors:

"I've spent more time thinking about Golden State than I have any other team I've ever thought about in my whole career. Because they are really fun. I'd go buy a ticket and go watch them play. And when I see them move the ball, I get very envious. When I see them shoot uncontested shots more than anybody else in the league, it's inspiring. It's just great basketball.

"So I'm actually enjoying them very much. You try to solve them, but they're in a sense unsolvable because it's a particular mix of talent that they have. It's not just that Steph can make shots or that Klay can make shots or that Draymond Green is versatile. Everybody on the court can pass, catch and shoot. And they all get it.

"They're for real They're talented. But they're also very, very smart."

That's some serious respect from the man widely considered the best coach in the NBA. Part of Popovich's success has been being open and able to adjusting his coaching style to the direction of the game. He's won five titles with the Spurs. In 1999 and three more times during the 2000s, he did it with suffocating defense. Two Finals appearances and another title this decade have been accomplished with beautiful offense.

His praise of the Warriors is arguably the highest praise you'll ever hear a rival coach give another team. Especially one that coach will likely have to get through for a chance at a sixth championship.

But that's Pop. Real. Honest.

As NBA fans, we can only hope Pop and Spurs get a chance to attempt to slow down the Warriors in the playoffs.