Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: I think the best part of NXT is we love the faces and hate the heels
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2494502&mesg_id=2503591
2503591, RE: I think the best part of NXT is we love the faces and hate the heels
Posted by jimaveli, Mon Dec-21-15 10:40 AM
>There's no need to be a smark, heels generate boos and faces
>are likable,most with some kind of vulnerability. It's to the
>point where I don't a scenario where I could EVER cheer for
>Corbin or boo for Bayley.

Font 80 cosign. NXT allows you to fall for the trick that makes wrestling 'work'. Ross is right about the whole 'you need to be rooting for one side and against the other for the work to work' thing. Black hat. White hat. Make it simple.

When Bayley is in danger, I'm legit thinking 'she might lose here...that would suck cuz she's so awesome'. It's Sami Zayn all over again.

That's why YesGoat worked out so well to me. He was booked as an actual good guy who just wanted a fair shot. His flaw? He's little as hell and goofy-looking so the suits wouldn't want him as the champ/face of the company. But hey..if he knees your champ in the face or catches him slipping and twists his shit up in a submission, he wins. He even got Cena with it. So...the suits stacked the deck and he couldn't win because unlike Hulk, Rock, Super Cena, or even Steve...HE'S LITTLE! The stories almost told themselves. When he beat HHH AND Orton AND Bootista, glory was upon us. And it worked!

Contrary to nerd belief, it is NOT just 'movesets' (FirePro wrestling ruined us all for a while I guess), corkscrew flips, planchas, dangerous suplexes, and reckless spots to end matches. WWE is generally right in trying to make the focus be on the stories. They're just impressively terrible at telling those stories sometimes. They can't seem to regularly make their good guys be good people ON-SCREEN like they were doing with YesGoat.

Outside of the early post-WCW era when there was a reasonably clear lack of 'wellness' all over the place, they've never had a better roster of wrestlers than they have now. Maybe that 'kill the territories' mid-80s staff was up there too, but it was a different time and you could headlock and PS Hayes your way up on a 18-minute match. It wasn't the same core of wrestling ass wrestlers. And it didn't matter then anyway since wrestling ass wrestling wasn't a focus. Steamboat was back in NWA the year after his Mania 3 joint with Savage.