Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectbad writing for the top guy will obviously get criticized more
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2494502&mesg_id=2497351
2497351, bad writing for the top guy will obviously get criticized more
Posted by pretentious username, Tue Nov-24-15 09:04 PM
>That, of course, brings me to the criticism about the way he's
>written. The writing is awful across the board, so why the
>particular emphasis on him there? There's pretty much NOTHING
>well written in WWE (not including NXT), so the writing for
>Reigns shouldn't be all that big a deal in that context.

I like Cena the guy, I hate Cena the character. he was the symbol for the bad writing of the PG era. it's nothing personal.

>
>Honestly when you look back that's par for the course. Outside
>of specific feuds the motivation for most wrestlers is pretty
>vague and general.

why are we JUST hearing about his daughter once bray wyatt brings it up? my first thought should be "oh shit, Bray's bringing his fam into this?!" not "oh... Roman has a family?" that's the type of lazy shit that didn't used to happen as much.

>
>I really don't see why. Dude has improved and dude has worked
>his ass off. I think people are asking for a little too much.
>In fact, I'll argue there's nothing he can do to win over the
>people who hate him.

yeah, he has. the writing hasn't. and if his mic skills are still this bad (i'd argue they're getting worse) they need to find a way around that that makes sense. they haven't even tried.

>
>Here's what I know: the shows I've gone to always have these
>obnoxious ass smarks who boo everyone they're "supposed" to
>like and cheer everyone they're not. I'd argue these make up
>the bulk of those booing him and enough people are following
>that lead that it's going to be difficult to turn that tide
>enough to prevent the "Cena" effect. I'd bet money that
>there's NO booking that can fix this.

disagree. he was a more natural heel and everyone loved him then. him as a face straight up doesn't work, at least not in it's current incarnation. and i don't think it's that every face is booed. it's only if they're shoved down their throats. you can argue IWC fans get nitpicky and i somewhat agree, but you can't argue that the company is making a good attempt at storytelling. they simply aren't. it's a mess. they've sold reigns as this supposed underdog when he looks nothing like the part. time for something new.

>
>Nah. Come on. Hunter has been the proverbial devil in Reigns
>ear for the duration of this tournament. There's every reason
>to suspect he's up to something. Not to mention Hunter
>recruited Rollins away from the Shield.

sure, he's right to suspect something's amiss, but in the kayfabe world a face is generally not supposed to attack a guy who didn't attack him first. yeah, HHH made it clear he didn't want him winning, but did he physically do anything to impede the process? no. go ahead and don't shake his hand, look around for sheamus, a spear makes no sense there... as is evidenced by the fact that he DISTRACTED HIMSELF by doing it. see? stupid. a face should be beat down by overwhelming odds or his honest ways didn't get the job done against a cheat. He shouldn't be beat by his own stupidity.

i mean seriously, why is the face the aggressor? that's not just roman btw, they keep having faces bully dudes like rusev. cena gives another AA to rollins before his sting match... why? what if he's just going to take a breather? there's no rule that says rollins has to stay in the ring in between.

>
>Well yeah. So why NOT take out HHH if the plan is that
>obvious?

Aitch comes out all alone in a full suit and tie and offers a handshake. Tell me, are you more afraid of Aitch attacking you or someone sneaking up behind you? It's the latter, of course, and Roman the character should know that from having been on the roster during the entire Authority era. Show or Kane or J&J or somebody is probably around the corner. That's what always happens.Just leave the ring without shaking his hand. Doesn't that send the same message AND prepare you better for a surprise attack?