Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRight. It's paint-by-numbers writing and it sucks.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2494502&mesg_id=2497164
2497164, Right. It's paint-by-numbers writing and it sucks.
Posted by Tiger Woods, Tue Nov-24-15 10:22 AM
And maybe "make it easier for everyone" is the point, maybe this shit just isn't for me anymore and I'm holding onto an idea that is antiquated, the idea that stories can be told with consistency and nuance.

It's not just Reigns dude, it's everything. It is lazy, obvious, inconsistent writing plagues that plagues this show.

Some more recent examples:

- What did the Wyatts do with Kane and Undertaker? And how were Kane and Undertaker allowed to simply reappear a few short weeks after these abductions seemingly unscathed? Did they escape from some dark lair, were they brainwashed? (And don't get me started on the Wyatts. Their writing is the worst across the entire show.)

- WWE conveniently played up Reigns being related to the Rock earlier in the year...and last time Survivor Series hosted a tournament for the world title, the Rock won after selling out to a similar authority figure...why not remind the audience of this and openly question Reigns motivations? Why not lean on that lineage more and wonder aloud if Rock and Reigns had talked going into the tournament, implying that Reigns may too seize a similar opportunity? Again, NUANCE - have some fun with it and plant those seeds of doubt in the minds of the viewers!!!

- What makes Dean Ambrose crazy? Where is Dean Ambrose from? WHO THE FUCK IS DEAN AMBROSE??? I mean he's announced from Ohio and we can assume that he's from some white trash town - but have we seen this town or him in this environment? Is he just some wacko in jeans, or is he a kid with a troubled past from the wrong side of the tracks who escaped his meager surroundings and had his life saved by wrestling?

These aren't nitpicky questions, they're fair questions that are a direct result of the gaping holes that are left time and again in the storytelling. No nuance, no foreshadowing, no canon, barely any attention to detail.

The reason I'm so charged up about these things is because they used to care about backstory and hints and subtlety and feel. Go back and watch the buildup to the Wrestlemania 12 main event. Besides the point that that main event is one of the more overrated matches ever, the build to it was SOAKED in emotion.

Go back and watch the stuff where Jake and Taker are haunting Savage. THEN, watch when Taker turns babyface...even this pale white dead monster has VALUES. (http://www.wwe.com/videos/undertaker-saves-miss-elizabeth-from-a-backstage-attack-superstars-feb-15-1992-26149537) From that very moment you are ON Team Taker.

There's no fucking depth in this show anymore. None. I can't bring myself to care about any of these guys. Sheamus, Del Rio, Ambrose, Reigns. They're faces. They're proof that all of the talent and good looks in the world can only take you so far IF THERE'S NO CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. There's a reason the crowd pops huge when they trot Shawn out a few times a year - it's not just because he's the all time best in ring worker ever, it's because we KNOW that Shawn is a reformed addict who saved his life and found redemption! We all have an uncle Shawn dude. THAT's part of Shawn's legened, as much as Undertaker's backstage reputation is now part of his onscreen mystique. CM Punk really WAS frustrated. Daniel Bryan really WAS shit on time and again. DEPTH DEPTH DEPTH DEPTH, find some.

Who are these guys and why are they here and what do they hope to accomplish????? They don't answer those questions enough, and when they do answer these questions the answers are so god damn obvious and hamfisted that even my fifth grade self would've thought this was corny.

The issue is NOT Roman Reigns. Reigns should be great and should inevitably end up in the Hall of Fame. The issue is that I really don't CARE about Roman Reigns. That isn't his fault at all.