Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThat's natural though when time doesn't allow you to be on the mats as much
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2467161&mesg_id=2478536
2478536, That's natural though when time doesn't allow you to be on the mats as much
Posted by T Reynolds, Wed Sep-23-15 07:24 AM
>In the classes I can take we get 30 min max. Sometimes rolls
>are 6-7 minutes sometimes just 3. When I was training at a
>checkmat gym in LA they rolled like 8 rounds. Id be gassed as
>fuck lol
>
>On avg at Marcelos right now its 3-4.

Yep. I've noticed Jon's classes have way more positional sparring and then rolling which makes them tougher. Also you forgot to mention the Advanced 2 classes for blue belts and up which are an hour and a half go way more rounds than 3-4.

>One of the reasons I was so disappointed was because I felt my
>cohort was progressing faster than I was. I havent gotten a
>chanc eto roll with them this past week - but today I rolled
>with 3 other white guys at various levels and held my own in
>all the rolls.

Not sure if you meant white guys or white belts. The only color I see is belt bro, and in nogi, I don't see color at all LOL. Had 3 good rolls in nogi yesterday, one with Jeff and two with other AZN dudes. I did well positionally for the first two and then the last roll, the AZN dude just was crafty, wiry, and strong. Got caught in a crucifix, then a kimura in garbage time. Dude on the side I was drilling with (he's a white belt coach smh) was like "SMASH HIM!" but I notice I am too nice and don't like to use my weight advantage (part of that is also so I use technique more). I let go a couple of chokes too on the first guy to continue the flow rather than focus on the sub. I think I gotta stop doing that? I donno maybe it depends on how the guy is rolling.

Also the guy a couple weeks back that tapped me like 5-6 times I found out trained with Uriah Hall and taps purples pretty normally. Because he never does gi he never got a blue, which means in nogi he is stuck in the kiddie pool feasting. Kind of made me feel a little bit better.

>Im really trying to be more conscious when I roll and stay
>connected. Be wary of grips I make and give (early on I was
>not sure what to do and left arms around too much).
>T- since Pauls private i havent been swept when standing up to
>pass guard. That little trick of turning your knee in has been
>super helpful.

I could not open Jeff's closed guard. He is strong as you know and alternates between attacking the arm and the leg from the closed guard, which he makes very effective. And the last AZN dude swept me as I stood up to break his closed guard. Totally forgot about the knee thing. I need to review and repeat a lot on those finer points Paul had. Not gonna lie it was a little difficult applying them to nogi.