Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectChad Ford Big Board (swipe)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2455724&mesg_id=2455809
2455809, Chad Ford Big Board (swipe)
Posted by guru0509, Sat Jun-13-15 07:07 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/mock/?season=2015&version=11&source=Chad-Ford-Big-Board

The NBA draft team workouts are finally in motion. All 30 teams in the league are now hosting workouts of prospects almost daily. Although these workouts might seem superficial on the surface, they often serve as important tiebreakers between players whom teams like.

Nail the interview or the on-court portion of the workout, and you can still see your stock rise. Screw it up, and there's still room to fall. That said, there hasn't been a lot of major movement in our top 30. There's been some tweaking here and there based on feedback from teams. In other words, the board is stabilizing.

Here's our latest player rankings, based on feedback from NBA teams.

1Karl-Anthony TownsCOLLEGE: KentuckyHT: 6-11WT: 250POS: C
2014-15 STATSPPG 10.3RPG 6.7BPG 2.3
Towns has been No. 1 on the Big Board since March, and barring any last-minute injury or revelation, he'll be No. 1 on our Final Big Board as well. No prospect in the draft has a stronger combination of size and skill for his position. Towns has the potential to be a dominant 4 and 5 in the NBA on both sides of the floor. His engaging personality and excellent work ethic give him a clear path to stardom. According to the analytics, Towns ranks anywhere from No. 1 to 5 in most models used by NBA teams. Towns has yet to work out for anyone, and there remains a strong chance that he'll forgo workouts altogether. He is, however, planning on visiting both the Minnesota Timberwolves and Los Angeles Lakers for interviews. In virtually every scenario, he goes either No. 1 to the Wolves or No. 2 to the Lakers.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 1 | PLAYER CARD
2D'Angelo RussellCOLLEGE: Ohio StateHT: 6-5WT: 193POS: PG
2014-15 STATSPPG 19.3RPG 5.7APG 5
Russell is in a two-way scrum with Okafor for No. 2 on most NBA boards. In speaking with numerous GMs and scouts, it appears Russell has gained a slight edge over Okafor, but it's very, very close. Usually size rises as we get closer to the draft, but with the elite play of Stephen Curry and James Harden this season, and a renewed focus on the 3-point shot in NBA offenses, Russell's shooting and playmaking ability actually might be more coveted than Okafor's old-school low-post game. Analytically, Russell ranks No. 1 or No. 2 on most models used by NBA teams. Russell's draft window looks pretty small. He should go either No. 2 to the Lakers or No. 3 to the Philadelphia 76ers. In the unusual circumstance that he falls, I don't see him getting past the New York Knicks at No. 4.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 3 | PLAYER CARD
3Jahlil OkaforCOLLEGE: DukeHT: 6-11WT: 275POS: C
2014-15 STATSPPG 17.3RPG 8.5BPG 1.4
Okafor still is a highly coveted prospect but has lost ground in recent weeks to both Towns and Russell. His style of play is the major culprit. Teams are looking for versatility, playmaking, shooting and rim protection. While Okafor has the most polished low-post game in the draft with excellent size and length for his position, he doesn't check any of the "en vogue" boxes at the moment. He's still heavily in the mix at No. 1 to the Wolves, No. 2 to the Lakers and No. 4 to the Knicks.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 2 | PLAYER CARD
4Emmanuel MudiayCOLLEGE: ChinaHT: 6-5WT: 196POS: PG
Mudiay still is one of the harder players to get a read on right now. As I wrote on Tuesday, the fact that he's been hard for NBA teams to evaluate has hurt his stock a bit. But it doesn't mean he hasn't been improving. I was absolutely wowed with his workout, and I suspect the Lakers (who he worked out for on Saturday), Knicks (worked out for them on Tuesday), Sixers and Timberwolves will all be impressed as well. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up No. 2 by the end of the process. Not only is he a great athlete with great size for his position, he has rare maturity for a 19-year-old. Mudiay has a great chance to be an All-Star, and in a head-to-head workout, I think he'd give Russell all he could handle -- maybe more. Mudiay is in the mix with the Lakers at No. 2, the Sixers at No. 3 and the Knicks at No. 4. I think his floor is the Magic at No. 6.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 4 | PLAYER CARD
5Kristaps PorzingisCOLLEGE: LatviaHT: 6-11WT: 220POS: PF
11.6 PPG | 4.8 RPG | 46 percent from 3 in 21 MPG

Porzingis just arrived in the United States last weekend and is planning a major workout in Las Vegas for NBA teams on Friday. It will be the only workout Porzingis will do before the draft. He will fly to a few teams and do interviews, but this one workout will likely solidify his stock in one direction or the other. I'll be there in Vegas to report on the whole thing, but until then, it's still a little tough to get a great read on his draft stock. He's in the mix as high as No. 3 to the Sixers. The Magic like him a lot at No. 5 as well. I doubt he would slide past the Kings or the Nuggets at No. 6 or 7.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 5 | PLAYER CARD
6Justise WinslowCOLLEGE: DukeHT: 6-6WT: 222POS: SF
2014-15 STATSPPG 12.6RPG 6.5APG 2.1
The Winslow vs. Mario Hezonja debate continues to rage in NBA front offices around the league. Hezonja is the bigger and better offensive player. Winslow is stronger, a better defender and a better-known quantity. Both have a chance to be terrific. Winslow gets the slight nod over Hezonja on our Big Board when surveying teams around the league, but it's very, very close. One thing that might get Winslow the nod is his place in certain analytics models. According to Real Plus/Minus, Winslow ranks No. 2 in the draft behind Towns. The Knicks are giving Winslow a very serious look at No. 4. The Magic at No. 5, the Kings at No. 6 and the Nuggets at No. 7 are also all seriously considering him.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 6 | PLAYER CARD
7Mario HezonjaCOLLEGE: CroatiaHT: 6-7WT: 200POS: SF
7.7 PPG | 2 RPG | 38 percent from 3 in 16 MPG

Hezonja is right there alongside Winslow as the top wingman on the board. The biggest thing hurting Hezonja is that because of team commitments, he's unable to interview and work out for NBA teams. While scouts have done their due diligence and scouted him heavily in Spain, his playing time and role with the team have been very inconsistent, especially lately. He might very well have overtaken Winslow had he been able to attend workouts. Nevertheless, Hezonja's range is pretty similar to Winslow's. He could go as high as No. 5 to the Magic. I don't think he slides past the Hornets at No. 9. The Nuggets and Pistons are also seriously in play for him.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 7 | PLAYER CARD
8Willie Cauley-SteinCOLLEGE: KentuckyHT: 7-1WT: 242POS: C
2014-15 STATSPPG 8.9RPG 6.4BPG 1.7
Cauley-Stein is the last guy on this Big Board who has a good shot of going in the top five. He's widely regarded as the best defender in the draft, and from everything I saw in two workouts in L.A. last week, he's living up to the hype as a player who can guard five positions on the floor. Players with his size, athletic ability and defensive instincts don't come along every day. He, too, is heavily in the mix for the Knicks at No. 4, the Magic at No. 5 and Kings at No. 6. If he doesn't go there, however, he could be in for a bit of a slide. But there's no way he'll get past the Pacers at No. 11.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 8 | PLAYER CARD
9Myles TurnerCOLLEGE: TexasHT: 6-11WT: 239POS: PF
2014-15 STATSPPG 10.1RPG 6.5BPG 2.6
Turner is another player hoping to have a coming-out party in Las Vegas on Friday. He'll join Porzingis in that big workout in front of a number of top NBA GMs and scouts. Turner has been working on his athleticism and his running technique, and the word from trainer Joe Abunassar is that he's improved significantly. Given Turner's size, skill set and potential, he could be a real draft sleeper. On pure upside, he's a top-five talent. I'm not sure there's a team in the top five that will take him, but the Kings at No. 6, the Nuggets at No. 7, the Pistons at No. 8, the Heat at No. 10 and the Pacers at No. 11 are all taking a close look at Turner. The Jazz at No. 12 or the Suns at No. 13 probably are his floor.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 9 | PLAYER CARD
10Cameron PayneCOLLEGE: Murray StateHT: 6-2WT: 183POS: PG
2014-15 STATSPPG 20.2RPG 3.7APG 6
In the past two months, Payne's rise on draft boards has been incredible. Payne didn't crack our Big Board until April, when he debuted at No. 20. He moved up to No. 15 on Big Board 9.0 and then up to No. 11 on Big Board 10.0. Now he's cracked the top 10 and is getting interest from the Lakers, Knicks and Kings -- all teams drafting in the top six. What gives? His combination of quickness, length and scoring and passing ability is clearly intriguing teams. I like him, but I wonder whether teams are getting a little too caught up in the hype. I'm projecting him to go to the Pacers at No. 11. The Kings at No. 6, the Hornets at No. 9 and the Thunder at No. 14 are other real possibilities.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 11 | PLAYER CARD
11Stanley JohnsonCOLLEGE: ArizonaHT: 6-6WT: 242POS: SF
2014-15 STATSPPG 13.8RPG 6.5APG 1.7
Johnson came to Arizona with a ton of hype from NBA people who loved his size, strength and leadership. His season at Arizona was solid, but it raised questions about his athleticism and motor, especially defensively. That's led to a lot of different opinions on Johnson. Some teams still have him ranked in the No. 5 to 10 range. Others rank him in the 15 to 20 range. The Pistons, Hornets, Heat, Pacers, Jazz and Suns seem like the best bets to take him.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 10 | PLAYER CARD
12Kelly OubreCOLLEGE: KansasHT: 6-7WT: 203POS: SF
2014-15 STATSPPG 9.3RPG 5APG .8
Oubre is another controversial prospect. On sheer physical tools and upside, he belongs five or six spots higher on the board. He's one of the biggest wings in the draft, is a very good athlete, and has the potential to be a coveted "3-and-D"-type player. The question marks all center on his maturity and work ethic after he got off to a very rocky start at Kansas. His trainer, Drew Hanlen, swears he's one of the hardest-working players he's ever trained and that his improvement has been dramatic the past few months. If teams see that in workouts, he'll go much higher than projected here. He has the same sort of window that Johnson does -- Pistons, Hornets, Heat, Pacers, Jazz and Suns. I could also see the Thunder rolling the dice on him at No. 14.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 18 | PLAYER CARD
13Trey LylesCOLLEGE: KentuckyHT: 6-10WT: 242POS: PF
2014-15 STATSPPG 8.7RPG 5.2BPG .4
Lyles continues one of the quietest campaigns in recent memory to be a lottery pick. There's zero buzz about him, but when you press NBA teams, virtually all of them have him ranked somewhere in the lottery on their boards. Figuring out where he finally lands is the question. The Pistons seem like his ceiling right now. I'm told they're the highest team interested. The Pacers and Jazz are two other teams that are fans. I think the Celtics at No. 16 and the Bucks at No. 17 are his floor.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 12 | PLAYER CARD
14Devin BookerCOLLEGE: KentuckyHT: 6-6WT: 206POS: SG
2014-15 STATSPPG 10RPG 2APG 1.1
Booker couldn't be entering the league at a better time. The NBA is hungry for elite 3-point shooters and Booker stands as one of the two or three best shooting prospects in the draft. He's got a quick release, deep range and plays with a high basketball IQ. He also tested surprisingly well in some of the athletic testing at the draft combine. He also has the same draft window as Johnson and Oubre -- essentially, the teams picking No. 8 to 14 could all use a shooter. The Hornets at No. 9 seem especially interested.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 13 | PLAYER CARD
15Frank KaminskyCOLLEGE: WisconsinHT: 7-1WT: 231POS: C
2014-15 STATSPPG 18.8RPG 8.2BPG 1.5
Kaminsky was the national player of the year, but it's hard for skinny seniors to get lots of lottery love. Teams love his shooting ability and high basketball IQ, but there's a pretty fierce debate about which position he'll play in the NBA someday. The Heat appear to be his ceiling at No. 10. The Pacers, Jazz, Suns, Hawks and Bucks are the other teams that could draft him in the first round.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 14 | PLAYER CARD
16Bobby PortisCOLLEGE: ArkansasHT: 6-11WT: 246POS: PF
2014-15 STATSPPG 17.5RPG 8.9BPG 1.4
Portis has received strong reviews wherever he's worked out. He has great size, a terrific motor, a good rebounder and shooter. He remains one of the safest picks in the draft. Portis' draft range starts at the Pacers and includes the Jazz, Hawks, Celtics and Bucks. I believe his floor is the Wizards at No. 19.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 16 | PLAYER CARD
17Sam DekkerCOLLEGE: WisconsinHT: 6-9WT: 219POS: SF
2014-15 STATSPPG 13.9RPG 5.5APG 1.2
Dekker is garnering some very positive reviews from teams in workouts. The key for him will be shooting, and several teams are telling me he's shot the ball well and has been aggressive. His range goes from the Pistons at No. 8, and include the Heat (who are big fans), Pacers, Jazz, Suns, Hawks and Bucks.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 15 | PLAYER CARD
18Rashad VaughnCOLLEGE: UNLVHT: 6-5WT: 199POS: SG
2014-15 STATSPPG 17.8RPG 4.8APG 1.6
Vaughn's terrific workout in Santa Monica a few weeks ago in front of a bunch of NBA scouts and executives was an eye-opener. He shot the ball as well as any prospect I've seen so far and showed some explosion getting to the basket. He's carried that strong play over into workouts with the Lakers, Heat, Warriors, Pacers and Bulls and has put himself in the mix for the late lottery, starting as high as Indiana at No. 11. The Thunder, Suns, Hawks, Bucks, Raptors, Mavs and Bulls are also giving him looks.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 23 | PLAYER CARD
19Jerian GrantCOLLEGE: Notre DameHT: 6-4WT: 198POS: PG
2014-15 STATSPPG 16.5RPG 3APG 6.7
Grant's workouts have been strong, but he's still battling perceptions that his age limits his upside. Teams drafting to hit a home run will likely pass. But teams that love his experience, playmaking ability and toughness are fans. His range starts at the Thunder at No. 14. Other teams interested include the Rockets, Raptors, Mavs and Bulls.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 17 | PLAYER CARD
20Kevon LooneyCOLLEGE: UCLAHT: 6-9WT: 222POS: PF
2014-15 STATSPPG 11.6RPG 9.2BPG .9
Looney didn't really help himself at a pro day he participated in L.A. a few weeks back. He went through a hard workout and struggled to make shots. But in the ensuing few weeks, he's helped himself in subsequent workouts. He still has some of the best upside of any player in the draft and teams seem more comfortable that his sports asthma condition can be controlled with proper conditioning and medication. His range starts with the Pistons at No. 8. The Jazz, Suns, Celtics and Wizards are other strong contenders.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 19 | PLAYER CARD
21R.J. HunterCOLLEGE: Georgia StHT: 6-6WT: 185POS: SG
2014-15 STATSPPG 19.7RPG 4.7APG 3.6
Hunter is right there with Booker as one of the top shooters in the draft -- even if he did miss a lot of shots this season. Workouts have gone well, with several teams claiming he's the best shooter they've seen in this year's draft. That could get him looks as high as the Thunder at No. 14, the Hawks at No. 15, the Bucks at No. 17, the Mavs at No. 21 and the Bulls at No. 22.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 21 | PLAYER CARD
22Tyus JonesCOLLEGE: DukeHT: 6-2WT: 185POS: PG
2014-15 STATSPPG 11.8RPG 3.5APG 5.6
Jones hurt his back in a session in Houston and won't be working out for a while. Knowing the shenanigans Rockets general manager Daryl Morey has pulled in the past, I wouldn't be shocked if the "injury" might be a promise by the Rockets to select him at No. 18 if he shuts down his workouts. The Rockets have been on him for a while. He does have suitors higher than the Rockets. The Nuggets and Thunder have both shown interest. But the odds are pretty high that he doesn't get past Houston at No. 18.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 20 | PLAYER CARD
23Rondae Hollis-JeffersonCOLLEGE: ArizonaHT: 6-7WT: 211POS: SF
2014-15 STATSPPG 11.2RPG 6.8APG 1.6
"If Hollis-Jefferson could shoot, he'd be a top-10 pick" is the refrain from every GM in the league. He might be the best wing defender in the draft. He has elite athletic abilities, high character and a high motor. But with the league emphasizing 3-point shooting more than ever, his stock is in flux. I think the Celtics at No. 16 are probably his ceiling. The Raptors are another strong possibility at No. 20. Ditto for the Blazers at No. 23.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 22 | PLAYER CARD
24Delon WrightCOLLEGE: UtahHT: 6-6WT: 181POS: PG
2014-15 STATSPPG 14.5RPG 4.9APG 5.1
Wright is another wild card. For all the talk about him being a senior and lacking upside, there are several teams that want to be playoff contenders and seem to like him a lot. He's one of the most NBA-ready players in this draft, and the Thunder, Rockets, Raptors, Mavs, Bulls and Cavs will all give him looks.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 26 | PLAYER CARD
25Justin AndersonCOLLEGE: VirginiaHT: 6-6WT: 231POS: SF
2014-15 STATSPPG 12.2RPG 4APG 1.7
Anderson has been impressive both in workouts and interviews and after a lot of hand wringing, more teams seem to be convinced that his hot shooting this season at Virginia wasn't a fluke. His ceiling is probably Milwaukee at No. 17. The Bulls at No. 22, the Blazers at No. 23 and the Cavs at No. 24 are three other strong contenders to draft him.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 28 | PLAYER CARD
26Montrezl HarrellCOLLEGE: LouisvilleHT: 6-8WT: 253POS: PF
2014-15 STATSPPG 15.7RPG 9.2BPG 1.2
After having some of the steadiest draft stock of any player on our Big Board for the last two seasons, Harrell has struggled to get traction the past few months as teams have focused on his lack of elite size and inconsistency at Louisville. "If you're going to be a little guy playing the 4," one GM said, "you better play your ass off every possession." Harrell did at times, but now in workouts he's learning that has to come every day. The Wizards at No. 19 are probably his high spot. The Blazers, Spurs and Nets at No. 29 are other landing spots.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 24 | PLAYER CARD
27Terry RozierCOLLEGE: LouisvilleHT: 6-2WT: 190POS: PG
2014-15 STATSPPG 17.1RPG 5.6APG 3
Rozier had a strong showing at the draft combine and continues to draw praise from teams in the draft. They see him more as a defensive stopper and energy guy coming off the bench right now, but Rozier thrived in his first season at Louisville. His ceiling is the Rockets at No. 18 -- he has several fans there. The Bulls, Cavs and Nets are other options.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 27 | PLAYER CARD
28Chris McCulloughCOLLEGE: SyracuseHT: 6-9WT: 199POS: PF
2014-15 STATSPPG 9.3RPG 6.9BPG 2.1
McCullough is widely regarded as a value pick in the late first round. Had he stayed in school, he could've been a lottery pick next year. He's athletic and versatile. He's just raw. The Blazers at No. 23, the Spurs at No. 26 and the Nets at No. 29 are good options. In fact, I'm told there's almost no way he falls past Brooklyn at No. 29.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 29 | PLAYER CARD
29Jarell MartinCOLLEGE: LSUHT: 6-9WT: 239POS: PF
2014-15 STATSPPG 16.9RPG 9.2BPG .7
Martin's athleticism and improved shooting seem to be bringing him back into favor with scouts. He'll also work out in front of NBA teams in Las Vegas on Friday, and a strong showing there could help his stock. He was widely regarded as a potential lottery pick coming out of high school. The Blazers, Spurs and Celtics are his best bets in the first round.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. NR | PLAYER CARD
30Christian WoodCOLLEGE: UNLVHT: 6-11WT: 216POS: PF
2014-15 STATSPPG 15.7RPG 10BPG 2.7
Wood has the talent of a lottery pick. He has great size, athleticism and skill. But as I wrote on Monday, teams seem to be very turned off right now. The feedback from his interviews at the draft combine and in workouts has been disappointing. Teams seem concerned about both his focus and his motor. He looks to be in real danger of sliding into the second round despite his unique skills for a big guy.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 25 | PLAYER CARD
Next five in: Joseph Young, G, Sr., Oregon; Dakari Johnson, C, So., Kentucky; Cliff Alexander, PF, Fr., Kansas; Cedi Osman, G/F, Turkey; Alpha Kaba, PF, France