Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectHe's been in LA the last 25 years
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2445843&mesg_id=2452324
2452324, He's been in LA the last 25 years
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Wed Jun-03-15 02:27 PM
>I know he's not from LA but he has that sound kinda.
>
>Looked up what henry akins said about what happened to vitor's
>black belt in jiu-jitsu. Is that what you mean? Didn't seem
>like a full out rant tho.
>
>Anyway as far as the video it definitely seems like realistic
>technique. Keeping the hips down over yours with the elbows so
>the upa is more effective, breaking the balance of the posted
>hand etc.

Maybe not a rant originally but as the comments came in he said more. This was one of his comments:

Henry Akins: I guess i was just a little dissappointed because what I was hoping to see was a technical attempt to escape mount like a shrimp, elbow escape or bridge. These techniques work even at the highest level, that's why we all practice them on a daily basis. I assumed these movement would be ingrained into his muscle memory. Instead he put his arms up, rolled belly down, then back, threw a few punches from bottom and went fetal. I think that's exactly what most of us are taught not to do. I guess I was just a little shocked, he didn't even attempt a normal bjj escape. I understand there were punches involved but he's a professional fighter and has been for almost 20 years. As a fighter he should be training on a daily basis performing those movements in that environment and with that pressure. And this is not in any way to take anything away from Weidman's performance. I just didn't look to me like Vitor reacted with any jiu-jitsu movement. Vitor is an amazing fighter I just wish he would of shown a better performance on the ground.
29 · May 24 at 2:38pm · Edited