Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectTrue, but this is different
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2426780&mesg_id=2432347
2432347, True, but this is different
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Mar-26-15 10:57 AM
McGuire already has a stadium site (and importantly, owns the land it's going to be built on.)

The only possible sticking point is going to be public funding (if they go that route.) The state has already said it's not happening and they're not going to have more luck with the city. They'd have to go through the county, and that's not necesarrily a sure thing (though the chair of the Hennepin County Board said he's nsupportive of building a stadium.)

And that's if they ask for public funding. I really, REALLY hope they're not going to be so dumb as to try and get a mostly publicly built stadium when the willpower does not exist for one. I can't imagine they would, but owners of sports teams have been known to do stupid things.

Miami has yet to even choose a stadium site that's workable, despite having a head start on both Minnesota and Sacramento. But I guess they had to let Beckham exercise his option.