Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectOnly thing that concerns me is the stadium plan
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2426780&mesg_id=2429511
2429511, Only thing that concerns me is the stadium plan
Posted by Marauder21, Fri Mar-13-15 04:42 PM
As of right now, we've got an idea of where it is (a good, centrally located area of downtown in the vicinity of an MLB stadium and an NBA arena) and that it will be open-air, with natural grass.

As a soccer fan and a taxpayer, I really hope this is going to be privately funded. Both because publicly funded stadiums are an awful idea and because there's zero chance that the state is going to kick in any money after forking over half a billion plus to the Vikings. Maybe they could secure funding from either Hennepin County or the city of Minneapolis, but that might not be any easier. I really think if they come in asking for a taxpayer handout, they're going to get told off.

I'm slightly optimistic it won't come to that. There's an insane amount of net worth behind the ownership group, and they could certainly afford to keep it entirely privately funded. But all of this is speculation for now, because they haven't announced any concrete stadium details.