Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectYeah, they already told Vegas to go kick rocks
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2426780&mesg_id=2428955
2428955, Yeah, they already told Vegas to go kick rocks
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Mar-12-15 12:53 PM
I've been trying to follow this and I've got no clue what's happening with Miami. They've already had two stadium deals fall apart, and I'm not sure how long their leash is going to be. I know they want 24 teams by 2019 and they won't hold their breath for Miami to get it done forever. But maybe Orlando drawing 60k fans to the Citrus Bowl will spur them into action?

Sacto sounds like they've got a lot going for them, I'm kind of hoping MLS pulls Miami and makes Beckham and Co sell to Sacramento's group. They've got a passionate fanbase ready to go right now. I can't imagine Sacramento was high on Garber's list of expansion cities a few years ago, but they basically forced him to consider them by how active they've been organizing.

Here's an updated swipe from the Star Tribune, it looks like the big thing is that the Vikings ownership group (who also bid to get a MN MLS team in the new Vikes stadium) is out of the running. But the united bis isn't exactly a done deal yet, but it's a good sign.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/296080511.html

The prospective ownership group headed by Bill McGuire has received a letter from Major League Soccer notifying them that they are the preferred group for a potential Minnesota franchise, according to a person with knowledge of the letter.

McGuire has been competing with the Wilf family, owners of the Vikings, for a MLS expansion team that is likely to begin play in 2018. McGuire’s group includes the Pohlad family, owners of the Twins, and Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor.

McGuire, the former CEO of UnitedHealth Group who owns Minnesota United FC, a professional team in the lesser North American Soccer League, has plans to build an outdoor stadium behind Target Field in an area currently used to house the Farmer’s Market. The Wilfs’ MLS bid was based on playing in the new $1 billion football stadium set to open in 2017.

MLS spokesman Dan Courtemanche said Thursday morning the league would not confirm the existence of a letter of support for McGuire, saying it did not comment on “private conversations.”

However Courtemanche said an MLS announcement on adding a 24th team is expected soon. “We remain on track to announce the next MLS expansion market in the next 30-45 days,” he said in an email.

Minnesota and Sacramento are the two cities in the running for that bid. Miami, which is owned by former star David Beckham, still hasn’t secured a stadium, potentially leaving Minnesota, Sacramento and Miami for two remaining franchises.

Minnesota is considered the front-runner for a franchise because MLS Commissioner Don Garber has said he wants a Midwestern city to balance the league, and has praised the Twin Cities demographics.

McGuire will need to fulfill several obligations spelled out in the letter, the most important being securing a solid stadium plan, according to the person with knowledge of the letter. The group of McGuire, the Pohlad family and Taylor, who also owns the Star Tribune, has an option on land in the Farmer’s Market area that would be a potential home for an outdoor stadium, the person said.