Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI'm less excited about the minor pieces
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2425709&mesg_id=2447937
2447937, I'm less excited about the minor pieces
Posted by Call It Anything, Wed May-20-15 10:53 PM
Rendon is obviously a stud and a difference maker if he's healthy. Fister is missed in the rotation. Side note, why hasn't Stammen been moved to the 60 day DL to clear room on the 40 man?

But I have to remind myself that Matt den Dekker, Casey Janssen, and Nate McLouth are on this team.

Janssen sounds like he could be back soon. But his rehab outings have not gone particularly well. 5 appearance. 4.2 IP. 4 R, 4 H, 1 HR, 1 BB, 1 K. I don't feel great about 1 K in 21 batters faced in the minors. He struggled last year and a big part of that was because he couldn't get strikeouts.

den Dekker isn't making any noise in the minors. Blevins forearm blew-up after the trade, so it's pretty much a wash no matter what.

Who knows when McLouth will be back. Quietly, he has the potential to be the worst contract the franchise has ever given out to a position player. Overtaking the Dmitri Young double down after the All-Star year on the cheap.

Dmitri Young 2008-2009
2 years/$10 million
50 G, 180 PA, .280/.394/.400
-0.3 fWAR/-0.5 rWAR

Nate McLouth 2013-2015
2 years/$10 million (with a $6.5 million team option in year 3 or a $750k buyout)
79 G, 162 PA, .173/.280/.237
-0.5 fWAR/-0.7 rWAR

So right now, if McLouth can't get back he'll presumably be paid $750,000 more for -0.2 worth of production than the club gave to Young.

Not sure if they overtake Jason Marquis as worst contract ever. Some mitigating factors with Marquis make it tougher to evaluate. He was traded at the deadline in the second year of the 2 year $15 million deal. And his FIP numbers weren't abysmal in year 2.

Depends what your measuring stick for production is, how much of the pro-rated salary Arizona picked up, and the fact he was flipped for decent bench bat Zach Walters who was later flipped for replacement level plug-in Asdrubal Cabrera.