Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: CIA is right, i should just enjoy the ride
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2425709&mesg_id=2425921
2425921, RE: CIA is right, i should just enjoy the ride
Posted by Call It Anything, Tue Mar-03-15 05:54 PM
>The line-up is great on paper, but werth, zimm, harper and
>ramos are all injury risks and they've shown that when one or
>two guys go down, the offense stalls. The bench is shaky so
>they really have to stay healthy. They have "new" defensive
>players in four positions. We hope clippard can be replaced,
>but he's been one of the best pitchers in baseball. and then
>there is Matt Williams whose decision making in the offs were
>really questionable.
>
>I am not saying the team has any significant weaknesses, just
>that it does have a few problem areas to keep an eye on.

Injuries will fuck up any team, but yeah. We traded some legit outfield depth with Souza for a little more infield depth with Escobar (as well as what is hopefully a bridge to Turner after Desmond walks). But a healthy Nate McLouth could be competent off the bench. I'd love to see them get an established right handed stick that can come off the bench like they had with Gomes. Maybe Tyler Moore can be that guy. Danny Espinosa is frustrating as an everyday starter, but really good as a guy coming off the bench who can fill in at 2B or SS with plus defense. I mean, with Rendon, Zimmerman, Espinosa, and Escobar...Maybe Frandsen if he makes th team, you have lots of guys who can legitimately be called upon to plau more than one infield spot.

Of course those options requiring some ingenuity and creativity from the manager. As you mentioned, Williams has not displayed that. I thought he got better, but I still don't have faith in him to deviate from the script. There was somebody in the press that mentioned with Clippard's departure, it means that Williams has more ability to play match-ups in the 8th inning. But Williams always had the ability to do that. He just didn't because that is not how he manages. Harper batted 6th. You could make 99% of his bullpen decisions with the hilarious flowchart that @nextyeardc made. I hope he watched the success of teams like the Orioles and the Giants who succeeded in the playoffs by deviating from the by-the-book bullpen and learn. In reality, I expect Janssen to log 95% of his appearances in the 8th if Storen stays healthy.

>You're right. There will be 90-100 wins to enjoy this season.
>The rest is playoff baseball and will be what it will be.

Yeah. There are obviously no sure things, but the rest of the division looks rough. Phillies are old. Braves just had a fire sale. Mets should have pitching but can't hit. Marlins might be able to hit but I can't see them pitching (especially with Fernandez not coming back until at least June).

I'd love to see a 100 win season. It's doable. I think even if they pull a 2013 and win 86 games, that has a strong chance to win the division.

This might be as good as it ever gets, but I'll ride with this team against anyone. If we need an arm out of the pen, grab Papelbonn or someone midseason. Go for broke. Next year, Zimmermann, Desmond, Spann, and Fister could all be gone next year.