Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectIt's not like they tanked on purpose...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2422612&mesg_id=2422750
2422750, It's not like they tanked on purpose...
Posted by Stadium Status, Thu Feb-19-15 10:21 PM
This team was built to go to the playoffs this year and ended up being terrible enough to contend for a top lottery pick. That's what happens when you:
- Whiff on Steve Kerr and sign Derek Fisher for the same dollar amount. Looking now at the highest paid coaches in the league:
1) Doc Rivers - GM/coach - $10m +
2) Stan Van Gundy - GM/coach - $7m
3) Gregg Popovich - five time champion coach - $6m
4) Steve Kerr/Derek Fisher - first time coaches - $5m
5-30) EVERY OTHER COACH IN THE LEAGUE

I know that money isn't a thing to Dolan but it's just funny that even negotiating with the Knicks gives you a top five salary in the league.

- Trade Tyson Chandler, JR Smith, Iman Shumpert and Pablo Prigioni for Cleanthony Early, Shane Larkin, Giannis' brother, a 2017 second-rounder and a 2019 second-rounder

Would you call that a Zen haul? Remember that Timofey Mozgov and four months of Dragic both netted two first-rounders

- Signed Carmelo Anthony to a $124 million contract to have him end up in "potentially serious" knee surgery four months into said contract

Now, it's not like any of the Knicks moves have been awful in a vacuum. And Dolan wouldn't let Phil not sign Melo, so I won't blame him. But something should still be said when the Knicks only real asset going forward is costing them $24 million this season to go under the knife, they got nothing in return for trading away the core of a team that won 54 games two years ago and their top-5 paid first-year coach is doing so bad trying to instill an antiquated system onto their team that they're on pace to be maybe the worst team in the league.

It's not like he's doing a terrible job. But you can't tell me that if you put Hinkie or Ainge or Morey or RC Buford in this role that they wouldn't have netted something more.