Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectCaldwell imprints cool, calm demeanor on Lions ( SWIPE)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2388270&mesg_id=2388770
2388770, Caldwell imprints cool, calm demeanor on Lions ( SWIPE)
Posted by nipsey, Tue Nov-11-14 10:21 AM
>Now they
>have incorporated Caldwell's demeanor and they have won 4
>games in the 4th qtr this year. Night and day difference
>there.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/columnists/jeff-seidel/2014/11/10/detroit-lions-jim-caldwell-jeff-seidel/18835523/

Seidel: Caldwell imprints cool, calm demeanor on Lions
Jeff Seidel, Detroit Free Press Columnist 11:43 p.m. EST

November 10, 2014

Three hundred days ago, the Detroit Lions introduced Jim Caldwell as their new head coach.

At the time, the organization was reeling. The Lions had ended the 2013 season by losing six of their last seven games and were an undisciplined mess.

Caldwell made some big statements on that January day, unveiling a blueprint of what he wanted to create. When you look back, his words have turned out to be prophetic.

"Let's just talk about a couple things: image and identity," Caldwell said at his introductory news conference on Jan. 15. "Either you create it, or somebody's going to create it for you. So, let me tell you what we're going to look like. We're going to be smart. We're going to be a football team that takes the field that's not going to shoot itself in the foot."

What is the Lions' image, now? They have a great, swarming defense. And they believe they can come back and win any game. In many ways, this team resembles Caldwell — unflappable and calm under pressure. The Lions have started the season 7-2 for the first time since 1993. And this team is riding a four-game winning streak, their longest since 2011.

"Mental toughness really keeps you out of situations in which you make big m istakes at the end of ballgames when the game's on the line," Caldwell said. "That's huge. I think that can be developed."

That's an interesting point, in hindsight, after the Lions have come from behind to win their last three games. On Sunday, the Lions made the plays to beat Miami. But more significantly, they didn't make mistakes to lose.

"We're going to have a fast football team. There's nothing like teams with speed. … We're going to flat get after you from the word 'go' every single snap of the ball."

Caldwell inherited a team that was ranked in the middle of the pack on defense. After hiring defensive coordinator Teryl Austin, which has proven to be a brilliant hire, the Lions are ranked No. 1. It is a fast, swarming, ferocious defense that Caldwell predicted.

"Highly motivated individuals are what we're looking for. They also have to have great passion."

Think about Sunday. There was James Ihedigbo diving to knock away a ball and prevent a touchdown — pure effort. There was Ziggy Ansah chasing down a receiver from behind. There was George Johnson, a guy picked off the scrap heap, waving his arms, trying to get the crowd fired up. And there was Kellen Davis hustling downfield and making a touchdown-saving tackle after a blocked field goal.

"(Matthew Stafford) is willing to do whatever it takes to get ready to win. That's the key. I mean, he's a guy that has talent, he has ability, he has great leadership qualities and, I think, without question, you're going see him develop and then also, certainly, take off in every facet."

At the time, I thought that meant that the offense would be more explosive under Caldwell. I thought Stafford would put up even bigger numbers. But the opposite has taken place. The offense has been terribly inconsistent. Stafford's yards and TDs are down, although it is hard to judge the offense, in full, because Calvin Johnson, Reggie Bush and the tight ends have missed so much time because of injuries.

On the other hand, Stafford's accuracy has improved. He is completing 61.3% of his passes, his highest percentage since 2011. And he is taking better care of the ball. In his last nine games last year, Stafford threw 15 interceptions. In the first nine games this year, he has thrown eight. So let's wait to judge the offense.

"No. 1, we want to make certain we control the line of scrimmage, so I think you have to have a team offensively that can run the ball."

This is one area where Caldwell has failed so far. The Lions have turned into the second-worst rushing team in the league. This is where the team can improve the most.

"Turnovers are obviously the largest determinant as far as winning and losing ballgames. ... We want to be, certainly, in the top three in the league in that particular area."

Are they in the top three? No. But the Lions aren't bad. They have turned the ball over 12 times. Only nine teams have fewer turnovers.

"I do think, without question, we're going to have a team that lines up in a 4-3, that's going to be able to rush the passer, going to be able to stop the run."

Ah, consider it done. The Lions have allowed only 642 rushing yards, their lowest number through the first nine games of the season since at least 1940.

"Winning a championship is the ultimate goal," Caldwell said. "That is our goal."

Despite a stunning 7-2 record, this team is not perfect. But here's the good news: this team can get better. It is still a team in transition, a work in progress, and it should improve, as Calvin Johnson gets healthier and the tight ends return, and if they can find a running game.

In the last 300 days, Caldwell has changed the culture and expectation of this team. And there is no way this team will lose focus and totally collapse, like it did in the past, not under Caldwell.