Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectSo, Jim Caldwell winning again, huh?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2388270
2388270, So, Jim Caldwell winning again, huh?
Posted by Ausar72, Sun Nov-09-14 08:02 PM
Funny how the narrative tries to get you to believe one way versus another. I mean they were saying this dude had no business being a head coach. He was only successful because of Peyton, yadda, yadda...

We are only about halfway through the season, but it looks like he's about to right that Lion's ship!

my thoughts,

peace.
2388271, he inherited schwartz's defense
Posted by falafel stand pimpin, Sun Nov-09-14 08:11 PM
which is why theyre winning
hes an offensive coach but theyre ranked in the bottom 10
not gonna give him props so easily. even schwartz made the playoffs.

2388273, Yeah, but he's winning as the HEAD coach...
Posted by Ausar72, Sun Nov-09-14 08:19 PM
>which is why theyre winning
>hes an offensive coach but theyre ranked in the bottom 10
>not gonna give him props so easily. even schwartz made the
>playoffs.
>

Last I checked Schwartz had that defense. That's a silly qualification. He wasn't brought in to improve the offense. That offense had Stafford throwing for 5,000 yards already.

When a former assistant takes over, yeah it's great that he can bring over a little of his specialty to his head coach role, but the good coaches become leaders for the FULL team, a la Belichek, Reid, etc...

Belichek had some shitty defenses for a few years there, but his team stays winning and the offense stays performing, yet he's obviously not an offensive coach.

my thoughts,

peace.
2388278, YARDS!!!
Posted by Ceej, Sun Nov-09-14 08:57 PM
2388280, that D was #16 ypg, #15 ppg last year... it's #1 in both this year...
Posted by LegacyNS, Sun Nov-09-14 09:07 PM
uhm.. that's not Schwartz...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================
2388281, Lol
Posted by Ceej, Sun Nov-09-14 09:13 PM
Dudes just blatantly makin shit up
2388290, yeah.. I mean I guess to someone distant from the team
Posted by LegacyNS, Sun Nov-09-14 09:38 PM
the names are all familiar but the performance of the D has been night and day from last year..
<---- 5....

2388296, ZIGGY
Posted by Ceej, Sun Nov-09-14 09:49 PM
2388382, what an unbelievably good pick
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Nov-10-14 09:36 AM
2388499, kid's going from never playing football to the pro bowl in like
Posted by veritas, Mon Nov-10-14 02:51 PM
five years or something.

amazing.
2388387, Teryl Austin may not be with us long at this rate
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Nov-10-14 09:39 AM
That secondary is...not good on the outside

But he's turned the safeties loose and drawn up some zones that give the DL enough time to work

Assistant of the year in the NFL imo
2388399, Damn...wtf? Why do you hate on black coaches and QBs so heavily?
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Nov-10-14 10:14 AM

Serious question

I've peeped your steez....you fly in and hate on
black coaches and QBs at every corner

Why?
2388385, So are Lions fans pleased with what they have with Caldwell?
Posted by Ausar72, Mon Nov-10-14 09:37 AM
I'm not that close to this team, so I can't speak to stat/personnel differences, but based on how you felt when Jim Caldwell was hired and now sitting at 7-2, what's the vibe?
2388390, the biggest difference i can tell is the mental makeup
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Nov-10-14 09:46 AM
The Lions under Schwartz were just as mercurial as he himself was, and they lost 6 games in the 4th qtr last year. Now they have incorporated Caldwell's demeanor and they have won 4 games in the 4th qtr this year. Night and day difference there.

The clock management issues still pop up from time to time (the timeout yesterday with 45 seconds left was pretty silly).

But i think his most pressing order of business is to get Lombardi to get more vertical earlier in the games. The screen/draw shit is just getting hammered to death. In the fourth qtr when they actually start looking down the field, its just chunk after chunk. Gotta open that up earlier.

Overall tho, how could anyone not be happy?

2388392, Hurry up earlier in games??
Posted by Ceej, Mon Nov-10-14 10:01 AM
Ya know, if we kinda score early we wont have to come back in the 4th.
2388394, Yeah...at this point it seems like Stafford is best when he doesn't
Posted by soulfunk, Mon Nov-10-14 10:04 AM
have to think. I don't see the downside of going no huddle more often throughout the game. Just throw in the hurry up when a defense doesn't expect it, stop Stafford from having to make too many decisions, and go with it...
2388405, im not sure its the tempo. literally seems like different plays.
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Nov-10-14 10:22 AM
Whats the point of having a big armed QB like that to make 20 throws per game of less than 10 yards?

That being said i dont know why they ever huddle. Moving Calvin around in a no huddle is guaranteed to cause a breakdown at sone point.
2388770, Caldwell imprints cool, calm demeanor on Lions ( SWIPE)
Posted by nipsey, Tue Nov-11-14 10:21 AM
>Now they
>have incorporated Caldwell's demeanor and they have won 4
>games in the 4th qtr this year. Night and day difference
>there.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/columnists/jeff-seidel/2014/11/10/detroit-lions-jim-caldwell-jeff-seidel/18835523/

Seidel: Caldwell imprints cool, calm demeanor on Lions
Jeff Seidel, Detroit Free Press Columnist 11:43 p.m. EST

November 10, 2014

Three hundred days ago, the Detroit Lions introduced Jim Caldwell as their new head coach.

At the time, the organization was reeling. The Lions had ended the 2013 season by losing six of their last seven games and were an undisciplined mess.

Caldwell made some big statements on that January day, unveiling a blueprint of what he wanted to create. When you look back, his words have turned out to be prophetic.

"Let's just talk about a couple things: image and identity," Caldwell said at his introductory news conference on Jan. 15. "Either you create it, or somebody's going to create it for you. So, let me tell you what we're going to look like. We're going to be smart. We're going to be a football team that takes the field that's not going to shoot itself in the foot."

What is the Lions' image, now? They have a great, swarming defense. And they believe they can come back and win any game. In many ways, this team resembles Caldwell — unflappable and calm under pressure. The Lions have started the season 7-2 for the first time since 1993. And this team is riding a four-game winning streak, their longest since 2011.

"Mental toughness really keeps you out of situations in which you make big m istakes at the end of ballgames when the game's on the line," Caldwell said. "That's huge. I think that can be developed."

That's an interesting point, in hindsight, after the Lions have come from behind to win their last three games. On Sunday, the Lions made the plays to beat Miami. But more significantly, they didn't make mistakes to lose.

"We're going to have a fast football team. There's nothing like teams with speed. … We're going to flat get after you from the word 'go' every single snap of the ball."

Caldwell inherited a team that was ranked in the middle of the pack on defense. After hiring defensive coordinator Teryl Austin, which has proven to be a brilliant hire, the Lions are ranked No. 1. It is a fast, swarming, ferocious defense that Caldwell predicted.

"Highly motivated individuals are what we're looking for. They also have to have great passion."

Think about Sunday. There was James Ihedigbo diving to knock away a ball and prevent a touchdown — pure effort. There was Ziggy Ansah chasing down a receiver from behind. There was George Johnson, a guy picked off the scrap heap, waving his arms, trying to get the crowd fired up. And there was Kellen Davis hustling downfield and making a touchdown-saving tackle after a blocked field goal.

"(Matthew Stafford) is willing to do whatever it takes to get ready to win. That's the key. I mean, he's a guy that has talent, he has ability, he has great leadership qualities and, I think, without question, you're going see him develop and then also, certainly, take off in every facet."

At the time, I thought that meant that the offense would be more explosive under Caldwell. I thought Stafford would put up even bigger numbers. But the opposite has taken place. The offense has been terribly inconsistent. Stafford's yards and TDs are down, although it is hard to judge the offense, in full, because Calvin Johnson, Reggie Bush and the tight ends have missed so much time because of injuries.

On the other hand, Stafford's accuracy has improved. He is completing 61.3% of his passes, his highest percentage since 2011. And he is taking better care of the ball. In his last nine games last year, Stafford threw 15 interceptions. In the first nine games this year, he has thrown eight. So let's wait to judge the offense.

"No. 1, we want to make certain we control the line of scrimmage, so I think you have to have a team offensively that can run the ball."

This is one area where Caldwell has failed so far. The Lions have turned into the second-worst rushing team in the league. This is where the team can improve the most.

"Turnovers are obviously the largest determinant as far as winning and losing ballgames. ... We want to be, certainly, in the top three in the league in that particular area."

Are they in the top three? No. But the Lions aren't bad. They have turned the ball over 12 times. Only nine teams have fewer turnovers.

"I do think, without question, we're going to have a team that lines up in a 4-3, that's going to be able to rush the passer, going to be able to stop the run."

Ah, consider it done. The Lions have allowed only 642 rushing yards, their lowest number through the first nine games of the season since at least 1940.

"Winning a championship is the ultimate goal," Caldwell said. "That is our goal."

Despite a stunning 7-2 record, this team is not perfect. But here's the good news: this team can get better. It is still a team in transition, a work in progress, and it should improve, as Calvin Johnson gets healthier and the tight ends return, and if they can find a running game.

In the last 300 days, Caldwell has changed the culture and expectation of this team. And there is no way this team will lose focus and totally collapse, like it did in the past, not under Caldwell.
2388391, still too early...Lions led division after Thanksgiving last year
Posted by Deebot, Mon Nov-10-14 09:55 AM
then crumbled. He's definitely a better coach, but they have all the same key personnel. So we'll see.
2388402, not really
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Nov-10-14 10:19 AM
Quin and Ihedigbo are new and have made a world of difference

And everyone else is still fairly young and still developing

Its not really the same personnel, even for the guys who have been here
2388469, I'm afraid along w/ Caldwell, Stafford, etc.. *gulp*
Posted by LegacyNS, Mon Nov-10-14 01:11 PM
we actually have to give Mayhew & Lewand some credit as well.. lol
<---- 5....

2388773, Lions thrive with Mayhew's masterful moves (SWIPE)
Posted by nipsey, Tue Nov-11-14 10:29 AM
>we actually have to give Mayhew & Lewand some credit as
>well.. lol

I've felt the last couple of years that Mayhew wasn't given his due credit. I know he was part of the Millen regime and that gave people doubts about him. But dude has put in solid work since he became the man to call all the shots. Here's a swipe saying the same thing.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2014/11/10/katzenstein-lions-thrive-mayhews-masterful-moves/18819153/

Katzenstein: Lions thrive with Mayhew's masterful moves
Josh Katzenstein, The Detroit News 9:23 p.m. EST November 10, 2014

If any of the emails I've received about Lions general manager Martin Mayhew the past two years were fit for print, I'd gladly share them.

When the Lions fired coach Jim Schwartz after collapsing to finish 7-9 last year, many fans wanted Mayhew gone, too. It didn't matter that he'd just drafted an incredible rookie class that featured a first-round pick with eight sacks (Ezekiel Ansah), a third-round pick who was immediately the team's best offensive lineman (Larry Warford), a fourth-round pick who was a solid situational pass rusher (Devin Taylor), a fifth-round pick who quickly became a top-10 punter (Sam Martin), a sixth-round pick who was a special teams monster (Theo Riddick) and two undrafted guys (tight end Joseph Fauria and offensive tackle LaAdrian Waddle) who were big-time contributors.

Mayhew was tied to Matt Millen, and because the Lions had just one winning season since Mayhew fully took over in 2009, he had to go.

Luckily for the Lions, they kept Mayhew, and his decisions in free agency and the draft the past two years have as much to do with this year's 7-2 start as anything else happening in the franchise.

Golden Tate has undeniably been the best free-agent signing this year. Just nine games into the season, he's already set career highs with 66 catches for 909 yards. He's fourth in the NFL in receiving yards and fifth in catches, and even though his five-year, $31 million deal looked expensive in March, it's proven to be quite shrewd.

Mayhew also has an argument for the best bargain in strong safety James Ihedigbo, whose deal is worth just $3.15 million over two years. Since missing the first three games with a nerve injury in his neck, Ihedigbo has been one of the best safeties in the NFL.

In six games, Ihedigbo has 36 tackles, five for loss, two sacks and two forced fumbles. In Sunday's win over the Miami Dolphins, he caught an interception and nearly returned it for a touchdown, but his other pass defensed might've been the biggest play of the game.

On third-and-goal at the 2, Ihedigbo closed about a 4-yard gap to break up what would've been a touchdown pass to tight end Charles Clay. Instead, the Dolphins settled for a 20-yard field goal with 4:19 left in regulation, allowing the Lions to win the game with a touchdown instead of sending it to overtime.

The addition of Ihedigbo impacts the defense much more than statistics show. By adding a strong safety with a run-stopping focus, the Lions moved Glover Quin to free safety, where he can let his coverage skills shine.

Now that Quin is healthy, he looks well worth the five-year, $23.5 million contract Mayhew gave him last year. The decision to cut Louis Delmas now looks like a brilliant move instead of a cold-blooded business decision.

Reggie Bush's four-year, $16 million deal was too much, but opposing coaches have said Bush made the Lions offense scarier last year. Having Joique Bell, who Mayhew signed off the Saints practice squad in December 2011, and Riddick has helped mitigate that contract.

Coordinator Teryl Austin is receiving a ton of credit nationally because his defense is best in the NFL with mostly the same personnel as 2013, but the players are vastly different from last year. Quin isn't playing through a torn ligament in his ankle. Second-year cornerback Darius Slay is living up to his second-round selection, another point for Mayhew's draft class that year. Ansah has become a more complete player, and defensive end Jason Jones is healthy. Plus, stars Ndamukong Suh and DeAndre Levy have elevated their games to new heights.

But Mayhew deserves credit for several under-the-radar signings that have the Lions in their current position. They could've signed any number of defensive ends in April to take practice reps for the recovering Ansah and Jones, but choosing George Johnson was a crucial decision as he's played inspired this year with four sacks.

Fellow end Darryl Tapp has made some splash plays as a minimum-salary guy. Safety Isa Abdul-Quddus, whom the Lions signed off waivers from the Saints in February, played well in three starts for Ihedigbo and has been key on special teams.

Last year, the Lions found two other key contributors on defense. They signed Rashean Mathis in August, and by giving him a chance when few other teams would, they had a chance to bring him back this year. In addition to having a great season at age 34, Mathis' tutoring of Slay has helped him succeed.

The other standout bargain in 2013 was defensive tackle C.J. Mosley, whom the Lions gave a two-year deal for just $2.75 million days after Jacksonville cut him. Mosley is capable of starting, but has been a great No. 3 tackle when Nick Fairley has been healthy.

It's far too early to judge the 2014 draft class, besides the failure of kicker Nate Freese. Injuries have limited first- and second-round picks Eric Ebron and Kyle Van Noy, and kept third-round cornerback Nevin Lawson and sixth-round receiver TJ Jones out. But if Travis Swanson plays well in Warford's place while he's injured, the rookie group should be considered successful.

At 7-2, Mayhew's Lions have a chance to make this one of the most successful seasons in franchise history, and the man who put the team together deserves a ton of credit.

Around the NFC North

* Aaron Rodgers is very good at football. The best quarterback on the planet threw for 315 yards and six first-half touchdowns to carry the Green Bay Packers (6-3) to a 55-14 win over the Chicago Bears.

* Meanwhile, the Bears (3-6) look like a mess. As bad as the defense has been all year, Matt Forte's longest run of the season is 19 yards. The team still has talent, but it's hard to see the Bears digging out of this hole.

* The Minnesota Vikings (4-5) were on bye, but go to Chicago on Sunday.

Around the NFL

* I try to highlight good things, but at 0-9, the Oakland Raiders deserve a mention. They're more than halfway to 0-16 and don't really have any easy matchups left on the schedule. Somehow, that might add to the Lions' magical season.

* Wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr.'s rookie season didn't have an ideal start as he missed four games with a hamstring injury, but the 12th overall pick has been sensational for the Giants (3-6) so far. He caught three touchdowns in his first three games and had eight catches for 156 yards in Week 9 and seven catches for 108 yards in Week 10 against the Seahawks and Richard Sherman, proving a bright spot for an otherwise bad team.

* Speaking of bad teams, the Cleveland Browns (6-3) are in first place in the AFC North and don't look Brownsy at all under first-year coach Mike Pettine.
2388783, Mayhew has made VERY few missteps (until 2014 draft)
Posted by cgonz00cc, Tue Nov-11-14 10:42 AM
Still think HCD and Jeremiah Attaochu were the picks over Ebron and Van Noy

But maybe Ebron will show us something when he's healthy

Otherwise, dude has been terrific. Just the group of Reiff, Warford, and Waddle in itself was a major accomplishment
2388470, eh....if you say so. Point still stands though.
Posted by Deebot, Mon Nov-10-14 01:11 PM
Let them clinch the NFC North and then we'll talk about possibly righting a ship.
2388486, thats true to a degree. kinda what i was getting at up above
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Nov-10-14 01:58 PM
Caldwell's demeanor has been the biggest plus so far

I dont think we will see a collapse, mostly because of that
2388488, RE: eh....if you say so. Point still stands though.
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Mon Nov-10-14 02:07 PM
Unless the Lions win the division against one of the leagues premier teams, the ship is listing?

When was the last time the Lions even won the NFC North?

Those are some serious goalposts. Least you won't have to move them later I suppose...

Caldwell is doing a great job. That's obvious. The Packers will win the division, as they are the better team, who have all been together longer and won many division titles over last decade. Saying the Lions have to suddenly vault from losing team to Superbowl contender in a single season for Caldwell to get a tip of the hat seems weird to me.
2388496, youre really gassed off last night huh?
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Nov-10-14 02:44 PM
2388561, RE: youre really gassed off last night huh?
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Mon Nov-10-14 07:25 PM
think winning the division this year is a pretty high bar to set for Caldwell. If they win 10 games, that's an achievement IMO. If they win the division he should get COY.

2388580, weve seen a lot of 7-9, 8-8 around here
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Nov-10-14 08:41 PM
And Schwartz went to the playoffs with a less mature team

The Lions are in their prime with superstars on both sides of the ball, and Pro Bowl caliber players in almost every single position group.

So yeah, Caldwell has to win the division to get a tip of the cap. Because he has the best team in the division.
2388613, RE: weve seen a lot of 7-9, 8-8 around here
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Mon Nov-10-14 09:12 PM
Well, I think the Lions have a good squad but I expected them to finish second in the division (behind GB) before the season started, so maybe that's blinding me to them being better than Green Bay but okay.

Caldwell just got there, I don't think Detroit's secondary is that great and I have never been a Stafford fan...but shit, I honestly hope very sincerely that the Lions win the division.

That said, as a dispassionate observer, if Caldwell gets a wild card, I still think that's a significant success.
2388498, *waits for Will*
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Nov-10-14 02:50 PM
2388518, I'm happy for him.
Posted by will_5198, Mon Nov-10-14 03:38 PM
the timeout against the Jets will live on forever, but like I said before, he's a better coach than Whisenhunt (who is still on an odd sort of pedestal).
2388554, he called a weird one yesterday
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Nov-10-14 06:15 PM
It wasnt terrible but Miami had 30 seconds left that could have been easily burned off
2388604, He saved the Baltimore Ravens, won them a ring, got Joe Flacco paid.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Nov-10-14 09:07 PM

Wonder why nobody talks about that.

But niggas still talking about SINGLE timeouts he called
four years ago

Disgusting

Exactly why black people can't get ahead

All y'all do is focus on the negatives

LMAAAOOO if a white coach did what he did in Baltimore

Immortalized forever....Baltimore Ravens have two rings
won by black assistant coaches who were better, smarter and more
qualified than their white superiors
2388644, lol this is how i know you have no idea what youre talking about
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Nov-10-14 09:47 PM
1) Joe Lombardi is calling plays. If you bothered to read, you would have seen that i actually want more of Caldwell's vertical passing. If you bothered to watch Lions games (which i know you dont), you would know that the Lions are not using his plays.

2) Regarding Black coaches, you also failed to see the part where i said Teryl Austin is deservedly being mentioned for his own gig somewhere. In fact, white Joe Lombardi is the only coached ive really talked down.

Whats your point? What does this Baltimore strawman have to do with the Lions?
2388656, Caldwell is an offensive genius who saved the Ravens, won them a 'chip.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Nov-10-14 10:06 PM

That would be the narrative if he was white.

No reason to change it.

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
2388513, he's got that Marcus Aurelius steez. i'm a fan
Posted by Kungset, Mon Nov-10-14 03:33 PM
2394692, Whassup nigs
Posted by Orbit_Established, Fri Nov-28-14 10:37 AM

2394710, Bears
Posted by Deebot, Fri Nov-28-14 12:57 PM
2394729, but, but, but, Peyton was the real genius!
Posted by Kira, Fri Nov-28-14 02:36 PM
2399699, Hi
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Dec-15-14 07:50 AM

(C)Keith Murray, "
2399706, This tea tho!
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Dec-15-14 08:10 AM
2399719, we are inching closer to his first real critical decision
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Dec-15-14 09:01 AM
Something has got to be done about the offense

With Bell running as hard as he was, why is Lombardi calling WR screens on 3rd and short?

If we dont start getting shit going downfield, Caldwell either has to start working with Lombardi to get vertical or replace him. That shit has had mixed results all year and def isnt gonna work against Seattle.
2399721, Was that not the most uncomfortable 68 yard fg attempt youve ever seen?
Posted by Ceej, Mon Dec-15-14 09:08 AM
Stafford is inching closer to Suh comin for his head as the opposition. What an atrocity.
2399734, dude when they said it was a 68 yarder i was like "LULZ we win"
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Dec-15-14 10:24 AM
But then they showed that clip of him hitting from 70

I was fully clenched
2399730, Man, this is on Matt Stafford period end of story
Posted by LegacyNS, Mon Dec-15-14 10:18 AM
The last 2 weeks before yesterday (CHI, TB) Stafford played great. No complaints about the OL, WRs dropping passes, play calling, RBs being largely ineffective.

Last night Stafford stunk up the joint and like clockwork the same excuses come out. It's everything but him.

That dude has to be more consistent. I ain't saying 75% completion, 300 yds, 3 TDs every game but 153? CMON SON.. That dude is either brilliant or a bum..

<---- 5....

2399732, Just think what we could do with that money
Posted by Ceej, Mon Dec-15-14 10:21 AM
and manage the offense with much cheaper labor.

Its mind numbing for people to defend his play/pay.

And I know we were kinda stuck in a corner in regards to re-signing him (kinda) but that still shouldnt make him teflon. Guy makes Lakers practice look hard like sheet metal.
2399740, He and Jay Cutler make me mad just looking at their weapons
Posted by Lach, Mon Dec-15-14 10:29 AM
2399759, i cant rock to this
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Dec-15-14 11:14 AM
>No complaints about the OL

They played well

>WRs dropping passes

They werent doing it. But they had another TD dropped yesterday as well. Just like they dropped SIX TDs vs the Pats.

>playcalling

Ive been complaining about the playcalling from day 1

>RBs being largely ineffective.

Because Joique is healthy

>Last night Stafford stunk up the joint and like clockwork the
>same excuses come out. It's everything but him.

He was 60%, 1 TD, no INT, with a 4th qtr come back. Thats not stinking up the joint to me *shrug*. Did you watch Aaron Rodgers play yesterday?

>That dude has to be more consistent. I ain't saying 75%
>completion, 300 yds, 3 TDs every game but 153? CMON SON.. That
>dude is either brilliant or a bum..

When he was throwing for 350 yards on 50 attempts people were complaining about "yards". Now hes got an 87.4 rating in a win and youre still complaining.
2399763, dawg before thanksgiving Stafford was the 26th rated QB
Posted by LegacyNS, Mon Dec-15-14 11:20 AM
26th... that's fuckin pathetic..

Now, I give him credit when he plays well but for most of the season Stafford has been average to below average.

And yes I saw Rodgers yesterday.. did you happen to see him all the other games when he had 35 TDs and 3 INTS on his way to a MVP season?

All I'm asking Matt to do is be more consistent. Even with the past 3 games, 2 of them being phenomenal, he's still only the 18th rated QB...

<---- 5....

2399776, im sure he was
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Dec-15-14 12:04 PM
Ive been saying for months that hes not being put in position to succeed

The fact that he has not been successful is not surprising to me

When Stafford looks great, what is he doing? Throwing downfield. Not play action backside leakouts and screens. There is a reason he is posting the second lowest TD% of his entire career, and its not because he is regressing. He isnt.

For all Linehan's faults, he knew what he had in Stafford. Lombardi wants him to be Drew Brees and hes not that guy. They have to use his arm.
2401942, man this ain't Madden... lol
Posted by LegacyNS, Mon Dec-22-14 09:23 AM
I mean I know he's gotta go downfield some but the entire gameplan can't be Stafford going downfield. He's gotta be able to routinely hit short and intermediate routes especially since the running game s spotty at best.

Bottom line, Stafford has to be more consistent. He has talent. He's just gotta find a way to keep the offense moving.
<---- 5....

2401965, i know but i think there is better short stuff
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Dec-22-14 10:39 AM
Even short passes, his arm is big enough to stretch the defense laterally for the entire width of the field

Its specifically the screens that i have a problem with. They are so useless. Our linemen are road graders, not space players. The one screen that worked yesterday Reggie made a great individual play, and its getting to the point that i can tell when they are going to try to run one to Tate just by the way they line up.
2401703, oh no big deal..just another 4th quarter rally.
Posted by guru0509, Sun Dec-21-14 04:26 PM
Dude was cool as a cucumber
2401730, cool, Bears + game didn't mean anything
Posted by Deebot, Sun Dec-21-14 05:32 PM
let's see if yall can beat us next week in Lambo
2401927, dont be dumb and act like that game didnt matter
Posted by Ceej, Mon Dec-22-14 07:57 AM
well be dumb, just dont act like the game was meaningless, it wasnt.
2401941, it definitely wasn't meaningless and Staff has had his share of comebacks
Posted by LegacyNS, Mon Dec-22-14 09:21 AM
this year... I just wish he played better for most of the game so it wouldn't have to come to that but in the NFL a win is a win..
<---- 5....

2401947, He so polarizing, it makes the Staffheads go soo hard for him
Posted by Ceej, Mon Dec-22-14 09:36 AM
and conversely it makes the smart people go so hard against him.

He is what he is, which is ok to not very good. Let it be.

That said, odds of winning in Lambeau..........1,200:1? maybe 800
2401968, well even i thought he was really bad yesterday in the first half
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Dec-22-14 10:42 AM
But he really is so much better than you give him credit for

You go as hard on the (-) as i do on the (+) and in actuality he is probably somewhere in between. Still in the top 3rd of NFL starters tho
2401978, define negative tho..
Posted by LegacyNS, Mon Dec-22-14 11:01 AM
my criticism of Stafford is pretty plain. He underperforms in too many gamnes (or at least for the majority of those games). I give him his due when he plays well. He was phenomenal on Thanksgiving vs the Bears and the week after vs the Bucs.

<---- 5....

2401981, If he wouldnt play like a jabroni for 3 qtrs he wouldnt need to have comebacks
Posted by Ceej, Mon Dec-22-14 11:06 AM
He is so inconsistent and then when hes in a "do or die" scenario the good qb comes out. Just be mediocre the whole game and everyone will be happy.
2401982, basically which works against the Bears and Vikings but
Posted by LegacyNS, Mon Dec-22-14 11:11 AM
you're not playing those teams in the playoffs.. He's gotta be better if the Lions expect to win a playoff game less known make a deep run. If good Matt shows up, the Lions have just a good a shot as anyone to not only end up in the SB but win it.
<---- 5....

2401991, Getting the O on the same level as the D (which is crazy to say)
Posted by Ceej, Mon Dec-22-14 11:16 AM
would be bad news for the NFC, and I honestly believe it COULD happen. The talent is obviously there, maybe Caldwell catches lightning in a bottle again like he did in Bmore with that anemic offense.
2402125, he did that by going vertical...just sayin lol
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Dec-22-14 01:53 PM
2402134, Imagine that 2011 offense where he threw 41 TDs
Posted by nipsey, Mon Dec-22-14 02:29 PM
with this 2014 Defense. Nobody would stop them.

>would be bad news for the NFC, and I honestly believe it
>COULD happen. The talent is obviously there, maybe Caldwell
>catches lightning in a bottle again like he did in Bmore with
>that anemic offense.
2402123, you guys weren't in already?
Posted by Deebot, Mon Dec-22-14 01:50 PM
my bad thought you were. My point was that it had nothing to do with winning the division.
2402124, We clinched with the Eagles loss, but the game was big for seeding
Posted by Ceej, Mon Dec-22-14 01:51 PM
2406667, and out
Posted by Deebot, Sun Jan-04-15 08:00 PM
2406668, Came close. Road in Jerruhdome?
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sun Jan-04-15 08:03 PM

Shoulda had it, though

(C)Keith Murray, "
2406669, don't worry I know Stafford's the main culprit
Posted by Deebot, Sun Jan-04-15 08:07 PM
wanted to make yall mad anyway though.

I wanted the Lions to win so the Packers could play the Panthers, but I'm not scared regardless. Pack gonna exploit the Dallas D "like 10 year old centerfolds" (c) Del
2406850, lol did you even watch the game?
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Jan-05-15 10:12 AM
Because im leaning towards no
2406860, I had it on in the background while I was reading : )
Posted by Deebot, Mon Jan-05-15 10:20 AM
all I know is the Lions are still the Lions, even with Caldwell. Stafford is still asscrack, though.
2406872, lol makes sense. Stafford was absolutely fine.
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Jan-05-15 10:28 AM
Unfortunately the Lions are still the Lions
2406875, Guy played great in the 1st half and then stayed in the locker room
Posted by Ceej, Mon Jan-05-15 10:31 AM
Had 2+ minutes to define his legacy and make people shut up, whats he do. Losing TWO fumbles!!! not 1, TWO!!!!!!!!!!!!! cmon man.
2406888, how does Reiff getting destroyed come back to Stafford?
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Jan-05-15 10:41 AM
Stafford had been using his legs to extend plays all day. The line had 2 starters AND their primary backup out.

And the second fumble was meaningless. It was 4th down and he got sacked.

Calvin jumping offside on 2nd down was worse than ANYTHING Stafford did.
2406889, Terrible, he had a bad drop too
Posted by Ceej, Mon Jan-05-15 10:43 AM
>Calvin jumping offside on 2nd down was worse than ANYTHING
>Stafford did.
2406894, he sure did. but thats something i learned how to deal with in college.
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Jan-05-15 10:51 AM
When Calvin drops one you cant really do much other than shrug and say "damn". Its hard to get mad at a guy who has done so many spectacular things for one drop.

This happened right in front of me

http://youtu.be/zOZ9URXaikw

and after everything he had done for us, i couldnt even be mad.

But a procedure penalty is a mental error. No excuses for those.
2406897, Ouch
Posted by Ceej, Mon Jan-05-15 10:57 AM
2406904, damn...it was like a volleyball set
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Jan-05-15 11:05 AM
2406907, as soon as the ball was thrown we were already celebrating :( lol
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Jan-05-15 11:10 AM
2406878, I dunno bro, they showed that stat on FOX during the Packer game
Posted by Deebot, Mon Jan-05-15 10:32 AM
he's like 0-187 against winning teams on the road or some shit.
2406883, This was his best "big" game hes played
Posted by Ceej, Mon Jan-05-15 10:33 AM
and he only played 2 qtrs of it, says a ton.
2406682, I thought he was an offensive guru
Posted by falafel stand pimpin, Sun Jan-04-15 08:26 PM
last year the ravens were at the bottom of the league in pts/yds. Caldwell still got a gig though because of the SB the year before. This year under Kubiak the ravens were 8th/12th with forsett. and look at all offensive coordinators getting head coaching gigs now because of peyton. Things that make go hmm
2406903, He got his gig because of Joe Flacco/Ravens, you racist imbecile.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Jan-05-15 11:03 AM

They fired Cam Cameron, bring Caldwell into Baltimore
and Flacco *instantly* transforms into a juggernaut,
the Ravens instantly start scoring, and they win a
Superbowl.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000133015/article/jim-caldwell-breathed-new-life-into-baltimore-ravens-offense

Its about as clear a natural experiment for the benefits
of a coordinator as ever existed.

2406840, his conservatism probably cost us the game
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Jan-05-15 10:00 AM
4th and 1 in the fourth qtr in DAL territory where a first down ends the game?

A punt?

Smh
2406845, it also got you there
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jan-05-15 10:06 AM
2406849, id fire Caldwell and promote Teryl Austin TODAY if i could
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Jan-05-15 10:11 AM
Fuck that "got you there" shit

Why should anyone be satisfied with "getting there"

He clammed up and made a pussy decision. Nothing that happened before that can change that fact.
2406851, MAAAAAAAAAAAAn that 4 foot punt got dudes goin crazy
Posted by Ceej, Mon Jan-05-15 10:13 AM
I like the Ds chance of a stop with a real punt. Of course sayin you should have gone for it is easy to say now that the ball didnt even move.
2406857, Punters and kickers are pathetic human beings, aren't they?
Posted by Deebot, Mon Jan-05-15 10:19 AM
Get paid a nice salary to do ONE thing, and they tend to still fuck it up in the biggest moments.
2406858, im totally consistent philosophically in that situation
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Jan-05-15 10:19 AM
4th and 1 in opp territory is always a go

Any field position you gain on a punt when you give the ball back has a minimal impact on win probability. A first down there and win probability surges.

That wasnt playing to win. That was "oh GOD please let us get out of here before Dallas scores again"
2406873, I agree it lacked heart, but perhaps he thought Romo
Posted by Deebot, Mon Jan-05-15 10:31 AM
would fuck up at the end, which isn't an awful bet. But yes...if the Packers did the same shit in a game, I would be pissed. McCarthy always goes for it, though.
2406880, If he goes for it and get stuffed and Romo has the exact same drive
Posted by Ceej, Mon Jan-05-15 10:32 AM
Hes gettin roasted today for not punting.

I'm not playin that game.
2406909, agreed...Det was at their 49.. not in Dallas territory for 1....
Posted by LegacyNS, Mon Jan-05-15 11:11 AM
2ndly... Det has been bad at short yard situations...

3rd... the punter kicked the ball 10 fuckin yards..

Hold up, 10 fuckin yards? How is that not every bit as impactful as the no call? Dallas got the ball at their 41. A punt in the endzone puts Dallas at the 20.. A great punt pins the Cowboys inside the 10..

It was a critical call but far from the only play that decided the final result.

<---- 5....

2406912, on 4th & 1 they took a delay at DAL 46 trying to draw them off
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Jan-05-15 11:13 AM
That pushed us back to our own 49
2406939, its still basically midfield, lol
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jan-05-15 11:53 AM
2406943, fair enough but like truth said that's basically midfield..
Posted by LegacyNS, Mon Jan-05-15 11:56 AM
also, all those other points are true.. I just think if it's a normal punt, Detroit had a very good chance to keep Dallas out of the end zone.

<---- 5....

2406959, if you gain 1 yard, its a 100% chance to keep them out
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Jan-05-15 12:41 PM
The math does not support punting on 4th and 1 on the good side of the 50

Its an old timey super conservative idea bordering on chickenshit
2406961, If you gain 1 yard it's 100% chance you get another set of downs.. that's it
Posted by LegacyNS, Mon Jan-05-15 12:46 PM
let's not get ahead of ourselves. plus, it was a 10 yard punt. I'm sure if you told Caldwell his punter was going to kick it 10 yards he goes for it on 4th and 1. This is MMQ'ing in my opinion.
<---- 5....

2407025, its playing probability. the smart play objectively is to go.
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Jan-05-15 02:01 PM
There is nothing else to it.

35 yards of field position is worth nothing.

http://wp.advancedfootballanalytics.com/winprobcalc1.php

The lions punting and DAL starting their drive on the 15 adds 0.01 to the Lions win probability

The Lions making a first down adds 0.09.

Obviously there is risk, but there is risk in punting too, as we all saw.

Bad call.
2407043, lol, this ain't Madden, most NFL coaches in that situation are going to...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jan-05-15 02:37 PM
punt 9 times out of 10 unless their defense is absolute trash and the Lions isn't.
2407047, do you have anything substantive in reply to #105?
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Jan-05-15 03:01 PM
Because 9 times out of 10, speculative anecdotes mean dick to me
2407070, LOL. Wrong. You said "objectively." That's stupid.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Jan-05-15 03:23 PM

Computer don't coach for a reason, because there are
things that only a coach can decide and many great
coaching decisions are not "objective."

(whatever the fuck "objective" means, which is another
conversation. "Objective" is only as "objective" as the
variables you consider)

Tom Coughlin playing his starters in the last game of the
season 2007 vs. the undefeated Patriots was a stupid
decision "objectively," because it had zero playoff implications
(both teams were locked) and Coughlin risked getting a key
player hurt when, unlike the Patriots, the Giants had to PLAY
a WILD CARD GAME the next week.

He did it because wasn't about to let the Pats have that
undefeated season without a fight...that's not "objective."
That's male stupidity mathematically, a genius coaching
subjectively.

What happens? The Giants gave the Pats their toughest game
of the season (losing 38-35), and the Giants said this is
why they weren't intimidated, at all, during the Superbowl
and already knew how to play them. It worked

He put the game in his excellent defense's hands.

Shit didn't work out that way.

It was a fine way.

(C)Keith Murray, "
2407669, oh look, the aforementioned anecdote i dont care about lol
Posted by cgonz00cc, Tue Jan-06-15 04:04 PM
2406848, ^^^this...this might be his Riverboat Ron moment
Posted by ChampD1012, Mon Jan-05-15 10:10 AM
2406852, not only that, on the 3rd down PI controversy play
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Jan-05-15 10:15 AM
Tate, Bell, and Bush were all on the sidelines

What is the point of putting Theo Riddick at RB for a PA pass?

EVERYONE KNOWS HE ISNT GETTING A HANDOFF

That was probably Lombardi's call but Caldwell should have taken a TO right there. Way too fuckin cute.
2406859, all bullshit aside, I'm glad Linehan was on OUR bench...
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Jan-05-15 10:19 AM
and not yours...cuz that fuckin ball would have been in flight ALL afternoon.
2406870, maaaaan. everything Linehan did up and down the field
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Jan-05-15 10:27 AM
Lombardi does *across* the field

I know you were smiling when we ran back to back RB screens on 2nd and 3rd down deep in our own end

And what i dont understand is that Caldwell's philosophy as an OC was NOTHING like what we did this year. Way more in common with Linehan.
2406911, Harbaugh went for it. Opie went for it. both teams won.
Posted by falafel stand pimpin, Mon Jan-05-15 11:13 AM
If anyone can muscle a yard it's Joique bell
2406914, thats my thought as well
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Jan-05-15 11:14 AM
>If anyone can muscle a yard it's Joique bell
2406954, Jim should've went for it on 4th and 1
Posted by Starks dunked on Bulls, Mon Jan-05-15 12:35 PM
2407034, I definitely can see the argument for it, but in my opinion...
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Jan-05-15 02:18 PM
he was telling his defense "y'all are some bad mofos and I'm gonna put in y'all hands to bring it home for us". I'm sure in his wildest dreams he couldn't have conceived a 10 yard punt.
2407048, #105
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Jan-05-15 03:02 PM
2407061, Give his defense the chance to win the game was a fine decision.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Jan-05-15 03:14 PM

LMAO @ a 10 yard punt.

(C)Keith Murray, "
2407079, also shouldve ran on 3rd and 1
Posted by rjc27, Mon Jan-05-15 03:31 PM
2407080, with that being said tho, he did a helluva job with this team this year
Posted by rjc27, Mon Jan-05-15 03:31 PM

@rob_starrk
2407640, Agreed, it's not even really arguable to me, I was shouting at the TV.
Posted by Bombastic, Tue Jan-06-15 03:28 PM
4th quarter of a playoff game on the opponents side of the field is not time to play pussy.

Especially if you were gonna take a shot with a throw on third, then you go for it on fourth.
2478596, 0-2 and now they play denver
Posted by falafel stand pimpin, Wed Sep-23-15 11:14 AM
It's looking like that time
2481665, ^
Posted by Deebot, Tue Oct-06-15 08:18 AM
2722333, RE: So, Jim Caldwell winning again, huh?
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Oct-05-20 04:30 PM
https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/matt-patricia-failures-make-fans-miss-jim-caldwell
2722663, Orlovsky is right, but we dont miss Caldwell
Posted by cgonz00cc, Wed Oct-07-20 08:43 PM
average is more fun than putrid, but its still just average