Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRe: Farmar over Payton
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2381049&mesg_id=2381392
2381392, Re: Farmar over Payton
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Oct-23-14 11:29 AM
I've watched Elfrid Payton play a lot last year, probably more than any sane human should. He was turnover prone last year. In the Sun Belt.

He'll be a stat stuffer, no question, and I fucking love his game (TRBO hates that I call him Rondo Jr.). But I think his turnovers against NBA competition his first year combined with the usual rookie PG inconsistency make his odds at doing below 1 FPPM pretty high.

I hope I'm wrong as I'd love for him to ball out Year 1, and I would've taken him later (probably even thirteen picks later), but that's why I didn't grab him at 94. I wanted something I thought was safer. I felt like Farmar's odds at 1 FPPM were better, and I felt like his odds of doing what he did last year if Paul were to go out were better. *shrug* it wasn't solely for handcuffing, that's just a perk. I just felt he was the safest FPPM G left-- the only other guy I considered there was Reggie Jackson, and admittedly I may regret taking Farmar over him. (My history of my third guard drafted isn't great.)

It may not pay off, but with Bubbles doing his steady 15 minutes at over 1 FPPM, I really only need fifteen-ish minutes of guard play from someone. I'm confident I can find that one way or another if Farmar doesn't pan out, via a low-minute/high-FPPM guy on waivers or one of my younger bench guys (preferably the latter-- they're my upside picks, and my last round picks generally do way better than my third guard picks, so I'm hopeful).