Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectHibbert to the Cavs?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2372665
2372665, Hibbert to the Cavs?
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Sep-29-14 08:58 AM
http://inkonindy.com/2014/09/28/pacers-cavaliers-talking-roy-hibbert-trade/

Pacers, Cavaliers Talking Roy Hibbert Trade?
by Evan Massey 18h ago

The Indiana Pacers have been open to trading big man Roy Hibbert this offseason, but they have yet to receive an offer that they felt was fair enough to accept. That may change in the near future, as reports are beginning to come out that the Cleveland Cavaliers and Pacers are talking about a potential trade that would involve Hibbert. Cleveland has been looking for a rim protector since acquiring Kevin Love, and this would be an ideal fit for them.

It’s very intriguing to think about a potential trade between these two teams, and what pieces would have to be involved to make it happen. More than likely, the two sides would have to bring in a third team to help facilitate the trade and make salaries work. Indiana doesn’t appear to be opposed to the idea of keeping Hibbert around, and trading him to Cleveland could end up biting them in the long run due to playing in the same division.

Hibbert ended up playing in and starting 81 regular season games last season with the Pacers, averaging 10.8 points, 6.6 rebounds, and 2.2 blocks per game. He has been one of the premier post defenders in the NBA over the last few seasons, and would be a huge upgrade for Cleveland. The Cavaliers are an imposing defensive presence away from being a complete all-around team.

This is certainly something to keep an eye on over the next few weeks, as it would make a lot of sense for both sides. The Pacers would likely be asking for Dion Waiters to be included in the deal, which might be an issue for the Cavaliers with LeBron James making it clear that he wants him on the roster. All of that being said, the possibility of playing with Hibbert might be just enough to convince James that Waiters can be given up.

As the report says, this deal isn’t imminent and it is in very early discussions. It will be interesting to see how these talks proceed, and whether or not the two sides are able to make any type of progress. The Pacers are more than willing to make a trade to clear some cap space and bring in young talent and picks, but they aren’t going to make a trade just for the sake of making a move.
2372679, 6.6 rebounds tho?
Posted by Cenario, Mon Sep-29-14 09:12 AM
2372680, personally he talks too much for me
Posted by southphillyman, Mon Sep-29-14 09:15 AM
relative to his production at least
he bitches in the media like he's a top 10 player or something
i guess his rim protection steez can't be questioned so the cavs probably have to do this if it's legitimate
but if things get rough with the cavs i see him being borderline cringe worthy under the lights of lebronan
the fact the pacers are basically sick of him already is kind of telling
2372684, he'd be a perfect fit for them although I don't see how the trade works...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Sep-29-14 09:20 AM
out without some skulduggery in the works...
2372686, its a good move for the pacers just to move his ass.
Posted by Cenario, Mon Sep-29-14 09:25 AM
lance is gone, west is old...the rest of the roster is booty. Re tool and maybe they can be players again in the 2015 season.
2372689, bye dion!
Posted by southphillyman, Mon Sep-29-14 09:30 AM
the thing is lebron is friends with all the cavs trade pieces lol
hibbert makes over 14 mil i believe so maybe it'll be andy + dion (or tristan)
2372699, It would have to be Andy's expiring deal + a young player
Posted by Marauder21, Mon Sep-29-14 09:49 AM
Or else it makes zero sense for Indiana.

Even that's not a great deal for them. It's not as if Indy HAS to move Hibbert right now.
2372715, Its just funny how Gilbert was the ringleader of the anti "superteam"...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Sep-29-14 10:08 AM
brigade that got the CP3 to the Lakers trade vetoed but now he's managing to construct a nice little superteam for himself.
2372725, oh dudes a two faced scumbag
Posted by southphillyman, Mon Sep-29-14 10:27 AM
fucking up black communities with pay day loans no less
can't take anything dude says seriously
2372732, right, I forget that's his company, explains a lot, lol...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Sep-29-14 10:31 AM
>fucking up black communities with pay day loans no less
>can't take anything dude says seriously
2372738, wrong business
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Sep-29-14 10:45 AM
>fucking up black communities with pay day loans no less

he runs a wack-ass mortgage loan business, i.e. a different branch of the "financial services" industry that fucks up communities indiscriminately, not those super-wackass "niggabanking" outlets you see in places where there should be credit unions IMO
2372746, RE: wrong business
Posted by southphillyman, Mon Sep-29-14 11:02 AM
naw they partner with companies that do that ie:provide the financing
they also partner with companies that push in store approvals thru. like if u broke and go to sprint and don't get approved by the main sprint provider for the iphone a quicken loan subsidiary can get u approved and provide the financing at high ass rates
ultimately it's on the customer to educate themselves and stop buying shit they can't afford but gilbert caking off a lot of that
2372751, Well of course. It's all good when it benefits him
Posted by LA2Philly, Mon Sep-29-14 11:06 AM
Privatize gains, socialize losses...sums up the corporate mindset.
2372825, yep
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Sep-29-14 01:29 PM
>Privatize gains, socialize losses...sums up the corporate
>mindset.
2372696, He'd be a perfect fit on this team - if nothing else he gives them size
Posted by vee-lover, Mon Sep-29-14 09:41 AM
in the middle

and he does have his moments where he can be a good rim protector (just ask Melo)
2372735, LOL, Had To Throw Your Melo Shot In Didn't You
Posted by RexLongfellow, Mon Sep-29-14 10:39 AM
To be honest, I wouldn't necessarily say perfect fit. It all depends on the system Blatt runs. If it's uptempo, then Hibbert is not a fit at all. If it's half court sets and execution, Hibbert will be ideal.

And he makes sense defensively, but he's a little slow. But if he fills a need, so be it.

Indy will have to demand a lot more than an expiring and Waiters though. And with Love/Bron/Rie, how do they even afford Hibbert?
2372747, Eh, basketball season is around the corner...just gettin my agendas
Posted by vee-lover, Mon Sep-29-14 11:02 AM
ready

But as far as Hibbert being a good fit for the Cavs, I think he'll be aight because not as much will be expected of him as it was in Indy - I think he thrives better in that situation

I see him having a similar role as Big Z did when he played w/Bron in Cleveland....except Hibbert will be better in that role...

>To be honest, I wouldn't necessarily say perfect fit. It all
>depends on the system Blatt runs. If it's uptempo, then
>Hibbert is not a fit at all. If it's half court sets and
>execution, Hibbert will be ideal.
>
>And he makes sense defensively, but he's a little slow. But if
>he fills a need, so be it.
>
>Indy will have to demand a lot more than an expiring and
>Waiters though. And with Love/Bron/Rie, how do they even
>afford Hibbert?
2372814, They can get size for a way cheaper cost
Posted by icecold21, Mon Sep-29-14 01:13 PM
Hibbert might be the most overrated player in the league
2372824, Who other big man is on the market?
Posted by vee-lover, Mon Sep-29-14 01:27 PM
2372827, Right now, idk. But they have until Feb to make a move
Posted by icecold21, Mon Sep-29-14 01:34 PM
I guarantee they can get someone that can play defense and nothing else that doesn't cost 12 mil a season and Dion Waiters.
2372714, Pacers would be foolish to do this
Posted by mashpg89, Mon Sep-29-14 10:07 AM
You're going to give the Eastern Conference favorites, and the team in your division that you will have to compete with for the next 5 years, the one piece that they're clearly missing? FOH, never going to happen.
2372722, do they have another SG?
Posted by thejerseytornado, Mon Sep-29-14 10:24 AM
dion being the hold-up for Hibbert is pretty funny, tho, considering how perfectly Hibbert fits the squad and how imperfectly dion does (another guy who wants/needs the ball in his hands w/ lebron/Love/Irving already on the squad?)

-----------
Y'all stupid...should've tanked for Lebron/Wiggins in 2014 -Rex LongFellow

Its 2014...there are computers in glasses and people stunt after hitting the ball far. Get over it. -Cenario

It's only funny till someone gets mad. Then it's hilariou
2372734, they don't need dion...and everybody know it
Posted by Basaglia, Mon Sep-29-14 10:39 AM
2372736, James Jones?
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Sep-29-14 10:42 AM
2372739, As you said, Roy's a perfect fit. Dion should go.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Sep-29-14 10:47 AM
They don't need more scorers, they need rim protection. And Hibbert kinda seems like he needs out of Indy.
2372744, lol Dion is holding it up?? thats crazy
Posted by JAESCOTT777, Mon Sep-29-14 10:57 AM
dion should have BEEN gone
its amazing that they actually are entertaining going fwd with dion on this team

I'm equally amazed that the cavs didn't make a play at Greg Monroe
esp if they are trying to get hibbert

2372794, So what is the talk? Dion and Thompson?
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Mon Sep-29-14 12:31 PM
As a two-team trade, that or a deal with Varejao and futures are the only things that work financially. Of course it doesn't have to be a two-team trade.
2372821, Dion >>> Hibbert
Posted by icecold21, Mon Sep-29-14 01:23 PM
Hibbert way overpaid for what he provides.

Dude has never averaged double digits in boards in a season throughout his whole career.

With his size that's incredibly embarrassing, even moreso than Brook's rebounding averages because he at least can score 20 per.

Of course he contributes on defense but he's a liability everywhere else and was so bad last year that he got backup minutes in the playoffs.

Why trade for the right to pay that guy 12 mil a year and give up Dion on his rookie deal and have no backcourt depth just so he can play 25 mpg and watch Andy play in crunch time? FOH
2372831, no one needs an undersized inefficient SG more than a 7-2 all-star
Posted by Basaglia, Mon Sep-29-14 01:43 PM
just stop cysing dion. he don't deserve it.
2372881, they shoot the same % from the floor.....and Hibbert is a foot taller
Posted by DJR, Mon Sep-29-14 03:29 PM
Hibbert = http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1472573/big-vagina-o.gif
2372733, i would never trade within the same division
Posted by Mr. ChicagoB-Boy, Mon Sep-29-14 10:35 AM
i dont even get the point of trading him unless they plan to tank cus George is hurt and they wanna make a play for Gasol next year.

still though why help Lebron even more.

let it shine through!!!!!!
2372741, oh my god, that's game over for the league
Posted by bshelly, Mon Sep-29-14 10:49 AM
2372750, That would be such a good fit
Posted by LA2Philly, Mon Sep-29-14 11:03 AM
2372777, if it goes down....not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6...
Posted by Vex_id, Mon Sep-29-14 12:05 PM
but a lot of people upset.

-->
2372828, well, that doesn't make any sense.
Posted by dula dos pistolas, Mon Sep-29-14 01:36 PM
i'm confused.

i thought trading for love was supposed to be prohibitive to their roster flexibility and completely eliminate their ability to acquire a rim protector.

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2352494&mesg_id=2352494

:-/
2372873, Kevin Love isn't staying in Cleveland long-term so this works.
Posted by Kira, Mon Sep-29-14 03:08 PM
If we land Roy Hibbert, no one on OKS can shit on the Cavs forever.

^^^ OBVIOUSLY I'M JOKING. Cavs fans already won.

a
Serious response:

This keeps a big three in Cleveland permanently so I am for it. There's no way we can afford this.