Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subject2014 World Cup Daily: June 26 (Do or Die Mannschaft)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2343309
2343309, 2014 World Cup Daily: June 26 (Do or Die Mannschaft)
Posted by smutsboy, Thu Jun-26-14 04:19 AM
Portugal vs. Ghana
12 p.m. ESPN2

United States vs. Germany
12 p.m. ESPN

Algeria vs. Russia
4 p.m. ESPN2

South Korea vs. Belgium
4 p.m. ESPN
2343318, Muntari and Boateng suspended & sent home
Posted by nighttripper, Thu Jun-26-14 07:13 AM
Muntari assaulted a member of the staff, Boateng insulted Appiah...
2343320, What a dysfunctional squad...
Posted by Sleepy, Thu Jun-26-14 08:02 AM
What's worse is they are the best team on the continent...if they could only get themselves together.

EDIT: I had heard over the radio that 2 of their players were suspended, but didn't know which two. Mutari was suspended for this game anyway due to yellow card accumulation, and K-P was one of the squad's most talented players.

*sigh*

Either way, from all these rains in Retife, we might not get a game at all. 2 feet of rains have fallen and traffic is gridlocked supposedly.
2343324, is a postponement a real possibility?
Posted by bshelly, Thu Jun-26-14 08:14 AM
2343332, Don't know...
Posted by Sleepy, Thu Jun-26-14 08:27 AM
With the concurrent games, they would have to postpone both games, I'm assuming.

Apparently FIFA are looking into it, but I have no faith in that organization.
2343349, FIFA apparently says go ahead and play.
Posted by Buck, Thu Jun-26-14 08:55 AM
Per a few journalists on Twitter.
2343354, FIFA doesn't care about their players ® Kanye
Posted by Sleepy, Thu Jun-26-14 09:08 AM
I looked at the main picture on ESPN FC

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i/?img=/photo/2014/0626/soc_a_recife_d1_1296x729.jpg&w=904&h=509&scale=crop&site=espnfc

I thought that was a canal. If it's really raining like that, there's no way we can get a decent match.
2343358, Grant Wahl says the stadium's fine.
Posted by Buck, Thu Jun-26-14 09:14 AM
"At Recife stadium now. No flooding. Can see firsthand the difference between "FIFA-standard" and standard for ordinary Brazilians. Shameful."
2343355, FIFA doesn't care about their players ® Kanye
Posted by Sleepy, Thu Jun-26-14 09:08 AM
I looked at the main picture on ESPN FC

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i/?img=/photo/2014/0626/soc_a_recife_d1_1296x729.jpg&w=904&h=509&scale=crop&site=espnfc

I thought that was a canal. If it's really raining like that, there's no way we can get a decent match.
2343325, Holy shit
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Jun-26-14 08:17 AM
What could Boateng have possibly said to warrant this?
2343360, apparently, he went all 'Keep It Thoro' on his coach
Posted by nighttripper, Thu Jun-26-14 09:17 AM
'I throw an iPad at you crazy'

he was mad not to be in the line up in the first game, but then played terrible vs Germany so I'm guessing Appiah announced he would not play vs Portugal...this triggered the shenanigans, and he supposedly threw an iPad at the coach
2343346, Despite the cash being airlifted in under cover of night?
Posted by Buck, Thu Jun-26-14 08:51 AM
2343352, Did we bribe them?
Posted by KosherSam, Thu Jun-26-14 08:59 AM
2343363, Whatever the opposite of that is is what really happened
Posted by B9, Thu Jun-26-14 09:19 AM
KPB organized the refusal to play until paid.
2343326, Uruguayan FA: We don't believe you, you need more peoples (swipe)
Posted by benny, Thu Jun-26-14 08:21 AM
Pathetic. And he might only get a 6 game ban? I guess FIFA want to make sure he can't play in this WC, but that's not gonna make him learn his lesson

============================

Uruguayan FA defends Luis Suárez, claiming bite marks are Photoshopped
• Fifa insiders expect six-match ban as the punishment
• Fowler: ‘I wouldn’t be surprised if he left Liverpool now’
• Daniel Taylor: Suárez adds to story of violence and deceit

The Uruguayan Football Association has gone on the offensive in an effort to save Luis Suárez from a lengthy ban for biting Giorgio Chiellini, claiming he is the victim of a smear campaign by the Italians, the English media and the Brazilian hosts.

As Suárez came under pressure from his sponsors, fellow professionals and Fifa’s disciplinary committee after sinking his teeth into Chiellini’s shoulder, the Uruguayan FA attempted to circle the wagons.

Executives from Adidas, the sportswear company that said when he previously bit Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic and earned a 10-match ban that it would be “reminding Suárez of his responsibilities”, met in Rio on Wednesday for crisis talks. The poker firm 888.com is also reviewing its contract with Suárez.

Fifa’s disciplinary committee, chaired by the former Switzerland striker Claudio Sulser, was meeting on Wednesday night having given the Uruguayan FA and Suárez a 5pm deadline to submit evidence.

Uruguay captain, Diego Lugano, describes Luis Suárez's alleged bite during their final World Cup group match against Italy as inconsequential
After considering footage of the incident, including angles not shown on television, and other material including witness statements and the referee’s report, Sulser’s committee will decide on a sanction and whether it should apply to all matches or just international fixtures. Either way, Suárez’s World Cup appears to be over.

Senior Fifa insiders, while stressing that Sulser’s committee is independent, said they expected at least a six-game ban for Suárez. Any sanction greater than three matches or two months leaves open the prospect of an appeal.

Fifa promised to resolve the case “urgently” given Uruguay’s looming last-16 clash with Colombia in Rio on Saturday and said it was up to Sulser’s committee whether to take previous incidents into account when deciding the sanction.

Fifa says the organisation is still collecting information from the Uruguay and Italy teams regarding Luis Suárez's alleged bite
Suárez’s lawyer, Alejandro Balbi, said he was preparing a case to show Suárez had been unfairly targeted and would use “all the arguments possible” to clear his client. “We don’t have any doubts that this has happened because it’s Suárez involved and secondly because Italy have been eliminated,” he told Uruguayan radio. “There’s a lot of pressure from England and Italy. There is a possibility that they ban him, because there are precedents, but we are convinced that it was an absolutely casual play, because if Chiellini can show a scratch on one shoulder, Suárez can show a bruised and an almost closed eye.”

The Uruguayan FA also claims that images of bite marks on Chiellini’s shoulder had been Photoshopped to make them appear worse than they were. “If every player starts showing the injuries he suffers and they open inquiries for them everything will be way too complicated in the future,” Balbi said. “We’re going to use all the arguments possible so that Luis gets out in the best possible way.

“You shouldn’t forget that we’re rivals of many and we can be for the hosts in the future. This does not go against what might have happened, but there’s no doubt that Suárez is a stone in the shoe for many.”

The Uruguayan FA president, Wilmar Valdez, told local media the proof against Suárez is not “convincing.”

“We’ve prepared another video of the game in which we discovered there was other behaviour similar to Suárez’s in the game which did not generate a similar reaction from the press,” Valdez told the leading newspaper El Observador.

The Uruguay captain, Diego Lugano, claimed the television pictures of the incident “don’t show anything” and were “nothing important”. He also claimed the British press has an agenda.

“Everybody knows the British media have an issue with Suárez,” he said. “It must sell newspapers in England. Otherwise you wouldn’t be here. Yesterday Uruguay played against Italy and Saturday it will play Colombia. I don’t know what a British journalist is doing talking about Suárez. It must be popular with the British media. I don’t see another explanation.”

The Uruguayan media accused other countries of launching a “manhunt” against Suárez. “‘Monster’: The British press’s new manhunt against Suárez,” said El Observador. “English newspapers return to attacking the Uruguayan after the alleged biting of Chiellini,” the article said.

Theoretically, Fifa could ban Suárez from football worldwide for up to two years or 24 matches. But while the governing body has previously banned officials and executives from all football activity, there is no precedent for a player to be banned from domestic as well as international matches.

At Liverpool, their manager, Brendan Rodgers, at the end of last season lauded the “phenomenal” Suárez for his “maturity as a person and his continuing development as a player”. He also praised the sports psychologist Dr Steve Peters for helping to improve the player’s behaviour.

Although Liverpool are closely monitoring the latest controversy involving their striker, it is not thought to have altered their resolve to hold on to him. The club stood by Suárez through his eight-match ban for racially abusing Patrice Evra and his 10-game ban for biting Ivanovic.

But the latest furore to surround Suárez could have an impact on the enthusiasm of Barcelona or Real Madrid to try to prise last season’s double footballer of the year from Anfield.In an editorial in the Spanish newspaper AS, Alfredo Relaño said he would “encourage Barcelona and Madrid now to sign any player other than him”.

The Professional Footballers’ Association chief executive, Gordon Taylor, said he fears for the 27-year-old’s future in the game after this third biting incident.

“It can’t be acceptable and from that point of view there are serious issues to be dealt with and they’re health issues, counselling issues, mental-health issues,” he said. “It certainly needs that to try to eradicate this from his make-up, otherwise I fear for his career.”

The former Liverpool and England striker Robbie Fowler, no stranger to controversy during his Anfield career, said he was “flummoxed” by Suárez’s actions. “It’s a real, real tough predicament most Liverpool fans are in,” he said. “They love him as a player but he’s continually dragging the club’s name through the mud. It’s not right, especially after how they helped him last time. They tried to rehabilitate him. I wouldn’t be surprised if he went now.”

Immediately after the match against Italy, Suárez said: “These situations happen on the pitch, we were both just inside the area, he struck me in the chest with his shoulder and he hit me in the eye as well.”

Chiellini, however, insisted Suárez should have been sent off. The 29-year-old defender told Rai TV: “It was ridiculous not to send Suárez off, it is clear, clear-cut and there was the obvious dive afterwards because he knew very well that he did something that he shouldn’t have done.”
2343337, lmao
Posted by Ceej, Thu Jun-26-14 08:38 AM
2343340, the real issue for the US today is going to be fitness
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 08:42 AM
not only did Germany NOT play in the jungle, they played 24 hours earlier, meaning they got an extra day to recover from their last game. As Bradley says, it is the WC of suffering, we will see if the US can suffer this much. It will be a big ask for the US to have the same core go another 90', very curious to see how Klinsmann manages depth issues in this game. Any suggestions of a gentleman's draw are so stupid...

I would expect Ghana to steamroll Portugal, because they are good, and Portugal is not. We'll see, predictions don't mean much at this stage of the World Cup.

GO GO USA!
2343343, *clutches his pearls*
Posted by benny, Thu Jun-26-14 08:46 AM
> Any suggestions of a gentleman's draw are so stupid...
>

2343347, Suarez banned for 9 matches and 4 months from any soccer activity
Posted by benny, Thu Jun-26-14 08:52 AM
edit: Uruguay can appeal but not suspensive (except on the fine amount) so he will be missing the rest of the WC
Unclear on the 4 month thing but it sounds like he'll miss the start of the season. So I guess FIFA has jurisdiction over the Premier League?

It's not enough but it's something...kinda
2343357, That's such a poor decision...
Posted by Sleepy, Thu Jun-26-14 09:12 AM
4 months??? That's really a bad decision. I didn't think I could get anymore disappointed by FIFA. This is an outrage.

It's a shame too, because this has really been a great World Cup.
2343383, my understanding is FIFA has jurisdiction over all FAs
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 09:49 AM
>Unclear on the 4 month thing but it sounds like he'll miss the
>start of the season. So I guess FIFA has jurisdiction over the
>Premier League?

Essentially FIFA are the feds, each individual FA is a state.
2343384, cool
Posted by benny, Thu Jun-26-14 09:50 AM
2343388, Why did they fine him in Swiss Francs, though?
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Jun-26-14 10:06 AM
Just because FIFA's in Switzerland?
2343393, yes
Posted by benny, Thu Jun-26-14 10:16 AM
2343391, paltry
Posted by Drizzit, Thu Jun-26-14 10:16 AM
both the length and especially the fine.

it's "unprecedented" though, so FIFA can pat themselves on the back for that. smh.
2343441, 4 months thats it? Should've been at least 6.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jun-26-14 11:04 AM
2343359, Entire German team shit themselves with fear, refuse to take the field
Posted by B9, Thu Jun-26-14 09:14 AM
http://youtu.be/sGeZxgatmRs
2343375, Anyone else's WatchESPN shut off repeatedly after like 10-15
Posted by Deebot, Thu Jun-26-14 09:39 AM
mins? The past few days I've been streaming online and it shuts off in 10-15 min intervals, making me reload it.
2343376, and also, fuck Germany
Posted by Deebot, Thu Jun-26-14 09:39 AM
2343389, lemme guess: Comcast?
Posted by B9, Thu Jun-26-14 10:09 AM
2343392, Dish...been watching at work
Posted by Deebot, Thu Jun-26-14 10:16 AM
2343403, I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL TIE! #TurtlePower #TieOrDie
Posted by KosherSam, Thu Jun-26-14 10:28 AM
2343409, Geoff Cameron given time to reflect on his shitty game against Portugal
Posted by B9, Thu Jun-26-14 10:35 AM
BENCHED

Howard; Johnson, Gonzalez, Besler, Beasley; Beckerman, Jones; Zusi, Bradley, Davis; Dempsey (c
2343415, Cameron should be considered 1st bench d-mid option, imo
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 10:44 AM
I wouldn't put too much on Omar coming in.
2343416, Agree. Throw him on for Zusi late on.
Posted by B9, Thu Jun-26-14 10:45 AM
There is a reason he played all of a half game at Stoke at centerhalf.
2343417, i dunno why he's playing as a central defender.
Posted by PROMO, Thu Jun-26-14 10:46 AM
during qualifiers, he was actually pretty dope as a defensive mid.

that's really the ONE place I thought Jurgen has been wrong.
2343426, Says more about the lack of depth at the position.
Posted by B9, Thu Jun-26-14 10:53 AM
2343431, i mean, i know Omar was hurt so...
Posted by PROMO, Thu Jun-26-14 10:57 AM
i guess he felt Cameron was a safer bet than Brooks.
2343411, Someone school me on the I Believe chant
Posted by benny, Thu Jun-26-14 10:38 AM
wasn't paying too much attention so I initially assumed it was some silly hashtag dreamed up by the vampires at Nike. But apparently it's a grass-roots thing?
2343413, Originally a US Naval Academy chant
Posted by B9, Thu Jun-26-14 10:43 AM
Slowly snaked it's way into other schools, then MLS fans in the west coast adopted it then it worked it blossomed when the Outlaws adopted it. Not really a soccer chant, but anything is better than "U-S-A, U-S-A"
2343419, pretty certain it came from Kansas City in MLS, it's not in PacNW at all
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 10:47 AM
>Slowly snaked it's way into other schools, then MLS fans in
>the west coast adopted it then it worked it blossomed when the
>Outlaws adopted it. Not really a soccer chant, but anything is
>better than "U-S-A, U-S-A"

Then American Outlaws picked it up, because American Outlaws is really just a federation of all the various supporter's groups throughout the US. But it's like THE big chant in Kansas City when SKC plays. I just heard it at the US Open Cup game on Tuesday. Unless they're doing it in LA or San Jose (which who's kidding who, they're not) no one out West can claim it and it's still not done at games.
2343422, RSL borrowed it from Utah State
Posted by B9, Thu Jun-26-14 10:52 AM
It was hugely popular at Utah State then jumped to RSL prior to KC picking it up.
2343429, interesting -- you can never hear RSL fans on broadcasts lol
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 10:55 AM
and I've never made it to Rio Tinto. Only thing I know from RSL is the song the Rancid drummer wrote for them that you hear every pre-game. He tried to write one for the USA this tournament, too (which was really just the same tune with the words changed). I'm so happy we haven't even pretended like it's a legitimate thing lol.
2343562, You can hear their song every post-goal. I hate that song lol
Posted by stankpalmer, Thu Jun-26-14 01:47 PM
2343425, ok cool
Posted by benny, Thu Jun-26-14 10:53 AM
2343630, This
Posted by smutsboy, Thu Jun-26-14 05:59 PM
> anything is better than "U-S-A, U-S-A"
2343475, it's old as hell
Posted by will_5198, Thu Jun-26-14 11:54 AM
my cousin's high school was doing it six years ago
2343427, da fuck is this German shirt??
Posted by benny, Thu Jun-26-14 10:54 AM
2343433, Adidas seriously dropped the ball with Germany this year
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Jun-26-14 10:57 AM
They have the best look in international soccer, and their main kits look like some bootleg Belgian shits from the 90's, and their clash kits are this abomination.
2343447, I disagree on everything
Posted by nighttripper, Thu Jun-26-14 11:14 AM
Germany does emphatically not have the best look in futbol, fuck outta here
the scapular kit is nice
this one...looks odd on Germany, I'll give you that, but it's not an abomination (it's kind of a flip on Sao Paulo FC)
2343453, Yeah, I probably should've added a giant IMO on that
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Jun-26-14 11:19 AM
nicest look in international futbol thing. I dig the white jersey/black shorts, but I can see why you obviously don't, lol.

Mainly I'm mad because I thought Germany's 2010 kits were so much nicer than what they got this year.
2344136, because I'm compulsive obsessive...
Posted by nighttripper, Fri Jun-27-14 10:44 AM
I meant to say Flamengo, not Sao Paulo
2343428, Who else is streaming from Univision?
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Jun-26-14 10:55 AM
Love the way they pronounce "Kilnsmann"
2343437, ESPN not streaming this for free is lame
Posted by benny, Thu Jun-26-14 10:59 AM
I would say downright unamerican, but since it's made in the name of profit I guess it actually is the most American thing to do
2343449, Absolutely.
Posted by Case_One, Thu Jun-26-14 11:15 AM
2343442, Yup
Posted by Lightfoot, Thu Jun-26-14 11:07 AM
Last match, every time the announcer said "Schweinsteiger" he had me and my wife dying.
2343443, LOL, he just said it
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Jun-26-14 11:08 AM
Great
2343435, booo on no Klinsi cam! Did he go Benedict Arnold + sing or not?!
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 10:58 AM
(and no, I don't really care, but it's funny. Like Germaine Jones saying he won't celebrate if he scores v. Germany, god I'd love to see that be tested.)
2343436, Omar Gonzalez starting
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Jun-26-14 10:59 AM
I like it
2343439, OMAR COMING
Posted by soundsop, Thu Jun-26-14 11:00 AM
2343438, a little water never stopped us against Germany before...
Posted by KosherSam, Thu Jun-26-14 11:00 AM
Turtle power!
2343445, on univision they call dempsey "Deuce the rapper"
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jun-26-14 11:11 AM
this shit is hilarious.
2343455, They said it again
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Jun-26-14 11:26 AM
I need him to score now, just so I can hear what these announcers do
2343450, United States defense is holding up so far.
Posted by Case_One, Thu Jun-26-14 11:16 AM
But Germany is pounding them.

Instagram - @casethenupe
Twitter - @revjcase
Host of The Power Up Show http://uvr20.net/group/thepoweupshow
UVR 2.0 Universe Radio
"The Twenny, Baby!
https://www.facebook.com/thepoweupshow
2343451, smh @ ESPN not puttin the POR-GHA score up in the corner
Posted by benny, Thu Jun-26-14 11:17 AM
Univision has it
2343454, Gonzalez giving Germany that good D.
Posted by MiQL, Thu Jun-26-14 11:21 AM
2343456, mmm hmm, FIFA ref obviously paid to keep Germany in this
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 11:29 AM
2343457, Portugal got one?
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Jun-26-14 11:32 AM
Anyone actually watching that? What happened?
2343461, Univision guys on the US game said it was an o.g. by Boye
Posted by nighttripper, Thu Jun-26-14 11:34 AM
2343458, Portugal up 1, that's good for the US
Posted by nighttripper, Thu Jun-26-14 11:32 AM
2343459, OGolazo from Ghana
Posted by benny, Thu Jun-26-14 11:33 AM
2343466, Hilarious
Posted by Lightfoot, Thu Jun-26-14 11:41 AM
2343473, ha ha
Posted by soundsop, Thu Jun-26-14 11:51 AM
ridiculous angle on that goal
2343460, portugal and ghana helping.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jun-26-14 11:34 AM
2343462, JJJ is everywhere.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jun-26-14 11:34 AM
2343463, I thought I saw Germaine Jones looking gassed in the first 20'
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 11:36 AM
he DEFINITELY looks gassed now by 35'
2343464, The passing by the US is awful. Come ON!
Posted by Case_One, Thu Jun-26-14 11:37 AM

Instagram - @casethenupe
Twitter - @revjcase
Host of The Power Up Show http://uvr20.net/group/thepoweupshow
UVR 2.0 Universe Radio
"The Twenny, Baby!
https://www.facebook.com/thepoweupshow
2343465, They're so cotdamn sloppy.
Posted by MiQL, Thu Jun-26-14 11:39 AM
2343467, Tim Howard is THE GOAT!!! (soccer heads, help...)
Posted by bentagain, Thu Jun-26-14 11:41 AM
I always preface my soccer posts by saying I'm a novice

but can somebody put Tim Howard into context for me

this dude has to be the best in the biz...yes?

I mean, the dude for Spain was the best...and now he looks like shit.

Tim Howard been doing this for 12 years?

can I just say he's the GOAT, or do some more knowledgeable soccer heads want to school me?

no way the USMNT makes the WC without him.
2343480, not the best in the biz. very fucking good though
Posted by sfMatt, Thu Jun-26-14 12:00 PM
2343482, name names son! I'm genuinely interested who I should be comparing
Posted by bentagain, Thu Jun-26-14 12:02 PM
him to.
2343484, Petr Cech has been the reigning champ, but he suddenly got old
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 12:04 PM
now it seems people like this Courtois fellow who played at Atletico who will likely replace Cech at Chelsea next year.

But Petr Cech was the best player in the game when Chelsea won the Champion's League. Howard never been able to say that.

Lots of folks like Neuer, the German in net right now, too.
2343498, lloris, neuer, ochoa, courtouis, de gea
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jun-26-14 12:17 PM
all the old gods have fallen off or retired. van der sar, buffon, cech, casillas.

howard's probably a top 10 keeper.
2343511, Co-sign. I would put De Gea near the top after this last season
Posted by LA2Philly, Thu Jun-26-14 12:43 PM
Lost in the disappointment of the season was the fact that De Gea was off the damn charts...some of the reaction saves he made were ridiculous, and he got a lot more confident/decisive on 50/50's.
2343515, you guys are sleeping on Enyeama
Posted by nighttripper, Thu Jun-26-14 12:47 PM
to me, him, Memo and Courtois are the top 3
2343468, US offense is a cotdamn mess.
Posted by MiQL, Thu Jun-26-14 11:42 AM
WTF at that corner?
Playing with no urgency.
2343469, Watching Bradley is aggravating.
Posted by MiQL, Thu Jun-26-14 11:46 AM
2343470, booooooooorrrrriiiiinnnnnnnggggg
Posted by benny, Thu Jun-26-14 11:46 AM
2343471, not mad at that first half. US should still hope for 3-4 more chances.
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 11:48 AM
Clint not finding life as easy against a better backline, but he's working hard. Managing tired legs will be the challenge in the 2nd half. Unless the US is going to get some attacking set pieces, I'm not sure what Davis is going to do for us (although at one point Fabian shoulda gave up the rock and let Davis cross instead, because he's better at it even on the off wing).

GO GO USA!
2343476, Bradleys touch is still god awful
Posted by SeV, Thu Jun-26-14 11:55 AM
getting to the point where anytime hes on ball I'm expecting something horrible to happen

beas has been impressive so far

iv given up on us scoring with this line up

maybe we can catch Germany sleeping on a counter

thats our only chance

hopefully our D can hold up

Say dat then.

Dallas Heatvricks BACK 2 BACK CHAMPS!!
2343479, can you point to a missed touch besides the one at the top of the box?
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 11:59 AM
because I can't think of any besides that, and overall he's done a good job of maintaining possession throughout midfield and hitting the switch to open up space when needed.

Bradley put Fabian Johnson on the endline to cross into Jones when Jones got fouled by the ref.
Wasn't it Bradley that dinked over the top for Jones?
It was Bradley that neatly one-touched across to Zusi for the curling shot, when the rest of the US side was struggling to find the wide man.
Besides that, he's hit a couple through balls to the fullbacks, switched the play well, combined well with Beckerman to help open up space in the back, and served as the only pressing midfielder in the side.

But maybe I'm selectively editing? Where else do you see him flubbing it besides that one trap around the 40' mark?
2343499, wtf I ain't sitting here with a pen n pad recording the minutes
Posted by SeV, Thu Jun-26-14 12:18 PM
his 1st touch has been god awful

no arguing that

Say dat then.

2343503, oh right -- how did I miss it?
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 12:36 PM
2343477, What's up with Bradley, though?
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Jun-26-14 11:58 AM
I refuse to believe that him leaving Europe and spending the last three months in MLS is responsible, because that's sheer idiocy. But something's not right with him.
2343483, if anything, I can't really tell you what position Klinsmann has him in
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 12:02 PM
It seems like he's being asked to be the forward man in the midfield on attacks and on the press, but he's also being asked to drop into the line of Jones and Beckerman. They might have switched Jones' and Bradley's role in this game, but it's not entirely clear.

But like I said above, he missed one (key) touch by my count and overall was an exemplary midfield contributor...
2343481, Very solid (and pragmatic) half from the US
Posted by sfMatt, Thu Jun-26-14 12:02 PM
Omar was sloppy and worrisome early, but he's gotten his shit together as the game has progressed. The defense is making it difficult on Germany's fluid front 3.

I'm mad that Dempsey let that break fall apart by over-hitting a very simple pass to his teammate on the right side.

Jones continues to be generally outstanding.

Our possession spells should be worrying Lowe by now...
2343488, damn ... if it wasn't for Omar's knee pre-tourney ...
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 12:05 PM
2343493, First free header Klose has missed in his World Cup career?
Posted by LA2Philly, Thu Jun-26-14 12:12 PM
2343494, Damn
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Jun-26-14 12:13 PM
2343495, Mueller! Perfect placement
Posted by LA2Philly, Thu Jun-26-14 12:14 PM
Keep that pressure coming now.
2343496, damn it's always Muller.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jun-26-14 12:14 PM
2343497, Dear Ian Darke, Ghana scoring is the worst thing
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 12:17 PM
and of course it had to be Gyan
2343502, should we be relieved Jones is only clattering the ref and teammates?
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 12:32 PM
is this what "composure" looks like for Jones?
2343504, fuck this Ghanian muphuckas....they don't deserve to advance
Posted by FILF, Thu Jun-26-14 12:38 PM
2343505, FUCK YO WITCH DOCTOR!! (c) Cristiano
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 12:39 PM
2343508, Ghana has basically quit
Posted by FILF, Thu Jun-26-14 12:41 PM
2343506, Thank fuck for Portugal
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Jun-26-14 12:40 PM
Ugh
2343507, thank you based ronaldo.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jun-26-14 12:40 PM
2343509, That's Ronaldo's first WC goal against a non Axis of Evil country
Posted by KosherSam, Thu Jun-26-14 12:42 PM
his other two were against Iran and North Korea
2343510, Yedlin showing off his crossing skills lol
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 12:42 PM
but he's a beast of an athlete, so I'm not mad at all about him coming in here. But it's his crossing that's keeping him from being a first choice wide player with the US.
2343516, again with the German invaders
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 12:47 PM
2343518, Just keep your calm, no cards
Posted by LA2Philly, Thu Jun-26-14 12:47 PM
The results are pretty much set
2343519, Taylor Twellman fucking with the broadcaster jinx AGAIN!
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 12:49 PM
2343521, i would've died of ecstasy if we scored there.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jun-26-14 12:52 PM
2343522, Portugal final yet?
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Jun-26-14 12:53 PM
2343523, made it out the group of death. against all odds. so happy.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jun-26-14 12:54 PM
2343529, BS. We always had a strong chance. Glad we made good on it.
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 12:56 PM
The only reason it could ever be the "real" group of death is because we were in it, too.
2343870, yes
Posted by makaveli, Thu Jun-26-14 08:18 PM
2343524, YASSSSS BITCH YASSSSSSS
Posted by PROMO, Thu Jun-26-14 12:54 PM
LOL.
2343525, oh well, advance and keep dancin'
Posted by KosherSam, Thu Jun-26-14 12:55 PM
2343527, BRING ON BELGIUM
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Jun-26-14 12:55 PM
2343538, FUCK belgium (aside from their beer, waffles, frites and chocolate)
Posted by dillinjah, Thu Jun-26-14 01:07 PM
2343528, kudos to the US for getting out of that group
Posted by benny, Thu Jun-26-14 12:56 PM
would've loved to face you guys in the 1/4s (no offense) but it was a tough ask today
2343532, props to Besler, Beckerman, Omar, Zusi -- all key, MLS-only players
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 01:01 PM
Grant Wahl just wrote the right article on it -- we would have blamed MLS if we had failed, so let's give credit when we succeed.

In particular, both Besler and Beckerman were two of the top performers in every match of the group stage. Besler was nearly perfect against Portugal and Beckerman is the real reason a guy like Jones was able to get free and roam through the midfield. Omar was a monster in settling the backline today in the do or die game against Germany.

Good job, Klinsmann. Tinkering right up until the end and the experimentation and challenging seems to have paid its dividends.

We're not done yet, bring on Belgium.
2343540, Besler is going to get to Europe soon
Posted by sfMatt, Thu Jun-26-14 01:10 PM
He's had an outstanding 3 games.

Omar recovered nicely from shaky moments to begin the game.

Beckerman is doing his job really fucking well, but he's got such a limited ceiling. If you ask him to do anything differently - be more of an attacker namely - he's going to let you down. Not that this is news to you.

So Wahl's assessment aside, to me this story is not as simple as MLS players thriving.

In point of fact Jones and Johnson are probably our two best players right now. And Bradley has been a shell of his former self. I also (like somebody previously posted) don't want to be one of those "Bradley is regressing because of his move to MLS" guys, but there's something to be said about no longer testing yourself regularly against the best of the best in training.

And what's up with Dempsey's touch? He has been far from solid in the possession game, the goal aside.
2343544, Dempsey's basically getting his ass kicked out there
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jun-26-14 01:17 PM
Hopefully Jozy can come back to relieve him of workhorse duty and let him actually ball.
2343546, and he still had enough left late for the ill backheel
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Jun-26-14 01:21 PM
And a chance with his head
2343564, Besler's 29, he's not going to Europe
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 01:47 PM
and Beckerman playing the role PERFECTLY, that he honed in MLS, no small thing.

Jones and Johnson were good, probably the best, but the standout names after that are career-long MLS guys. And Jones only looks so good because of Beckerman, it's no small thing.

Happy for the performance overall, mainly just saying credit due to the quality in MLS.
2343542, I still prefer Cameron to Omar but Beckerman's been great
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Jun-26-14 01:16 PM
Omar had a very good game today tho

Beckerman deserves all XI consideration should they advance further
2343560, omar was fucking awesome.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Thu Jun-26-14 01:45 PM
played his ass off.
2343593, he really did
Posted by nighttripper, Thu Jun-26-14 02:59 PM
saved a goal on that Ozil header, in particular
2343555, Zusi is German for 'sucks'
Posted by SeV, Thu Jun-26-14 01:31 PM

Say dat then.

2343566, his work rate on D was critical v. POR + GER, assisted Clint's 2nd goal
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 01:49 PM
But you're not really paying attention, we already established that.
2343580, has he put a corner on target yet this world cup?
Posted by SeV, Thu Jun-26-14 02:18 PM
yes or no?

Say dat then.

2343582, Yes.
Posted by HowieDooem, Thu Jun-26-14 02:22 PM
Brooks' goal against Ghana was from a Zusi corner.
2343584, *doesn't check notes* yes, the game-winner v Ghana, stooge
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 02:23 PM
2343591, 1-9
Posted by SeV, Thu Jun-26-14 02:40 PM
good shyt

point is dude is overall trash at set pieces

u can make excuses for him to push whatever bullshyt agenda u on

but dude has overall been serviceable at best

I'd rather see yedlin get 45 mins

either starting or coming in at half

Say dat then.

2343595, Yedlin's best as a sub, b/c his athletic advantage is magnified
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 03:01 PM
And it's true Zusi's corners, Ghana aside, have been terrible.

That said, Zusi has 2 assists in key moments and his defensive workrate was great against some of the most dangerous wingers in the world. I dunno if he starts against Belgium, you have to gameplan differently now that it's single elimination, but he did his job and he did it well in helping the US get out of the group.

He wasn't a world-beater, but his effort was still critical in helping the US advance.
2343536, oh yeah, and Piers Morgan said he'd never return to the US
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 01:05 PM
if the US advanced further than England in this World Cup.

This achievement is so much bigger than just soccer.
2343631, ^ ^ ^
Posted by smutsboy, Thu Jun-26-14 06:03 PM
what kind of dumbass bets on England football doing anything?
2343537, klinsi got us out of group. can't hate on that.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Thu Jun-26-14 01:06 PM
2343558, Don't challenge celery
Posted by bshelly, Thu Jun-26-14 01:41 PM
>
2343561, lolz. true.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Thu Jun-26-14 01:46 PM
2343567, I'm not mad, Klinsi's done his job, earned his 4 more years
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 01:54 PM
2343549, 0-1 vs a top two team in the world should help our confidence
Posted by RandomFact, Thu Jun-26-14 01:23 PM
going into next week.

We probably control pssession more against Belgium. And getting Jozy back would be huge. Let Dempsey play his natural role which in turn would take some pressure off Bradley.

Plus we get an extra day of rest.
2343592, WTF do we do if Altidore isn't back?
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Jun-26-14 02:48 PM
Do we keep with Deuce The Rapper up top, or do we try something different (Wondo?)
2343597, I wonder if we can try 2 FWDs in the knockout round
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 03:06 PM
Because the lack of Jozy really shows when trying the defensive shape we used in the groups, and Clint did seem to fade a bit with all the work he was having to do in the hold-up. Not sure if that leaves a chasm in the midfield we can't overcome, but the F problem is a tough one at this point.
2343886, i don't think he's coming back
Posted by hardware, Thu Jun-26-14 08:31 PM
even if he did, it wouldn't be 100%

still think EJ woulda been a better option over Wondo
2343594, i guess i ain't mad. backing into the playoffs is very 'Murican. n/m
Posted by Flash80, Thu Jun-26-14 02:59 PM
2343598, the Algerian fans were loud of shit
Posted by nighttripper, Thu Jun-26-14 03:07 PM
until Kokorin crushed the buildings

c'mon, Fennecs
2343606, Not rooting for Russia at all, but that header was a thing of beauty
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Jun-26-14 03:35 PM
2343621, for the record, I'm not anti Russia
Posted by nighttripper, Thu Jun-26-14 04:42 PM
I'm rooting for Algeria because it would be their first time getting to the knockout stage, and also because it would set up a match up w/Germany, giving them a chance, however slight, to avenge the Anschluss game

but Germany/Russia would be a good match up too

*edit* Algerians' time wasting shenanigans are making me reconsider my stance, though
2343625, And Algeria went through
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Jun-26-14 05:05 PM
2343614, Belgium playing a man down.
Posted by RandomFact, Thu Jun-26-14 03:49 PM

2343617, sigh, I see losers are still into bringing laser pointers into the stadium
Posted by benny, Thu Jun-26-14 04:19 PM
2343618, oh man, Akinfeev should seek asylum now
Posted by nighttripper, Thu Jun-26-14 04:20 PM
second crucial blunder in 3 games
2343620, Korea is so fluid
Posted by PROMO, Thu Jun-26-14 04:33 PM
until they get near goal.

Just shoot the fucking rock. Something might happen.
2344061, Asian problem, no formidale strikers/finishers
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Fri Jun-27-14 08:19 AM
2343627, FUN FACT: Bradley's covered more ground (23.6 mi.) than anyone @ the WC
Posted by celery77, Thu Jun-26-14 05:34 PM
38.1 km in 3 games for you euro-snobs out there
2344050, USA has a legit chance of getting to the quarters
Posted by kwez, Fri Jun-27-14 04:58 AM
If they can keep Hazard quiet I can see them dominating Belgium even despite how Bradley is below par.

Question for MLS heads, who else you got that can take Bradley's spot. I feel like that's the ONLY real area of concern for the US.

2344051, I think you have to just stick with him and hope
Posted by smutsboy, Fri Jun-27-14 05:04 AM
he turns it around.
2344060, I think "dominating" is a little ambitious
Posted by benny, Fri Jun-27-14 08:11 AM
I'm scratching my head about Belgium after this group phase. One of only 4 teams to grab all 9 pts, yet they've rarely seemed overwhelming. They can definitely turn it on when necessary, and Wilmots had made the most of his substitutions, but there's something lacking and I'm not sure what it is.
Still, it's probably 60-40 Belgium. Not shocking if either team wins based on performances so far, though it would be a big letdown for the red devils, and a massive get for the US.
2344084, I thought Belgium's defense looked pretty overwhelming
Posted by Lightfoot, Fri Jun-27-14 09:37 AM
I say this with the caveat that I don't really know very much about soccer, and with the awareness that the teams Belgium played were not exactly powerhouses. But I was impressed how consistently Kompany and Van Buyten and Vertonghen and them completely snuffed out almost every attempt to even get in their box.

Makes me think that if US couldn't get a SOG against Germany, they're going to have an awful lot of problems against Belgium too, even with Altidore.
2344066, play Bradley's spot now or play Bradley's spot in four years?
Posted by celery77, Fri Jun-27-14 08:51 AM
>Question for MLS heads, who else you got that can take
>Bradley's spot. I feel like that's the ONLY real area of
>concern for the US.

We don't have anyone that can play Bradley's spot now. In four years, hopefully Wil Trapp and Luis Gil will also be part of the USMNT central midfield, but by that point Jones and Beckerman will likely be out anyway, so someone has to come through.

But everyone needs to stop hand-wringing over Michael Bradley. His work rate has been not just good, but the best at the World Cup. NO ONE through three games has covered more ground than him, and his shift included 95 minutes in Manaus. He actually ran the MOST against Germany, following his long plane trip out of the jungle. Also, his passing percent is 84.6% after group stage, saw that he was 42/50 yesterday, including 6/9 on long balls. Jermaine Jones, by contrast, is in the low 70s% passing (I looked for the stat I saw yesterday putting Jones AT 70% after the group, but I couldn't find it again). After a game where the US gameplan yielded 35% possession, you can hardly lay that at the feet of Bradley. His work rate and passing game have been vital to the US midfield, and it can't be replicated by anyone else in the US -- not Jones, not Beckerman, not Cameron, no one in the US pool can put in that kind of work and act as a fulcrum all the way from the defensive third to the final third.

The GOOD NEWS is, yes! Michael Bradley can play better! It's that sort of thing which should help build hope going into Belgium. But Bradley has not been "bad," he's just been less than stellar. He's been unbelievably vital to the US midfield, helping free up the game of those around him and doing more pressure and defensive work than anyone, but yes hopefully we will see him start to take over the game in the final third a bit more going forward.
2344205, unfortunately nobody. he just needs to play a whole lot better.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Jun-27-14 12:19 PM

>
>Question for MLS heads, who else you got that can take
>Bradley's spot. I feel like that's the ONLY real area of
>concern for the US.
>

2344067, Grant Park, step ya game up (Algiers goal reaction link):
Posted by celery77, Fri Jun-27-14 08:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NIlxYe0Yeg