Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectbut because of all the speculative reasons why Duran quit, I could see
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2246644&mesg_id=2247123
2247123, but because of all the speculative reasons why Duran quit, I could see
Posted by vee-lover, Wed Oct-16-13 12:15 PM
why Leonard wanted to see if Duran would provide another explanation as to why he quit since its been over 30 yrs now...

like he said, at that time instead of all the talk being abt how he fought his fight the 2nd time around and completely bedevilled Duran, it was all abt Duran quitting in what has still remained the bizarre ending to a big time prize fight.

And as far as Don King throwing a lot of money at Duran to take a rushed 2nd fight, I don't believe that factored into why Leonard wanted a re-match so suddenly. I think he wanted to exercise those demons and then to prove to those doubters that he could beat Duran if he fought the fight he was expected to fight. He fought a VERY, VERY tought fight in the 1st match on Duran's terms; I really believe Duran could've had a years time to prepare and he still wasn't going to beat Sugar Ray Leonard in that 2nd fight.