Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectDula, but will any of that win a title next year? Year after? 3yrs out?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2241127&mesg_id=2302321
2302321, Dula, but will any of that win a title next year? Year after? 3yrs out?
Posted by auragin_boi, Tue Feb-25-14 09:47 PM
Firstly, we aren't rebuilding. We haven't missed the playoffs in like 6 seasons. If anything, we're re-tooling the bench that JR dismantled 2 seasons ago. We'll just be doing it with younger talent with more upside.

What does it matter though if our pick turns out to be Tyrus Thomas-ish, the CHA pick turns out to be James Johnson-ish and Mirotic is more Donatas Motiejunas than Kukoc or Dirk? And that Sac pick is so protected that it never gets lower than top 10 for 3 seasons then turns into a second rounder (lest we forget they play in the deep ass western conference and haven't finished outside the top 10 in 6 years). Draft is always a crap shoot.

Then what you'll have is this core (aging), plus Rose and marginal role players coming off the bench. I'm sorry but I'm not putting all my eggs in the mid-first round basket. Even if they develop and are players then we got maybe 2 seasons before it fully pays off and puts us in contention (which is basically what I said up top). But in 2 seasons you got cap issues again and some decisions about Noah, Jimmy, Extensions, Rose and Taj have to be made.

Yes, the front office deserves a ton of credit for getting us here but we should be on the doorstep to winning a ring IMO. If we do nothing but draft and bring Mirotic over, I'll temper my expectations then because it'll be obvious winning a title next year isn't priority 1 but as you said, being set for maybe 3 years from today while keeping a competitive playoff team on the floor is.

You also gloss over the fact that Rose has been down for TWO full seasons with knee injuries. Likely because he's tasked with carrying our offense too much and unless Mirotic is an offensive beast (nothing in his scouting report or current stats suggest he'd be any better on O than Taj or Booz) we come back next season with possibly the same scenario. And if Rose goes down again then what? If Noah goes down?

Melo is playing the best ball of his career and I'd think he has 2-3 more seasons in him at this level before there's any drop off. Lance is young and developing. IF we can net one of them AND keep a few of our future assets (Mirotic and/or a combo of our picks) why not go for it?